iPod Newbie

As Santa will be delivering my new 80gig iPod tomorrow, just wondering if there are any good reference sources for commonly asked questions. Some of initial questions are: Best way to transfer songs between iPods; uploading DVDs to my iPod; any good sources for free movies on the net? Any assistance would be much appreciated. Have a good holiday!

Comments

• iTunes allows you to upload to your iPod

FAQ
  • try mininova.org for tv shows/movies
  • Once my daughter gets here I'll have her post. She's getting one as well. she knows everything on line for that. I know she uses limewire but I wouldn't recommend that as I know a lot of people who have been virused through that site.
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    I know she uses limewire but I wouldn't recommend that as I know a lot of people who have been virused through that site.

I'm pretty sure that you can't upload anything from 'illegal" download sites. Only iTunes and such.

Which is why I bought a Creative Labs Video player. (30gig)
  • I use limewire and isohunt. No problems.
  • should it take 5 minutes to upload one album to itunes? does running itunes and having your ipod connected to your computer cause major problems with running internet explorer and other programs at the same time?
  • nope...the only thing that causes problems is that itunes isint a particularly good program. (so if itunes is busy doing something, it will tend to take a lot of cpu power away from your browsing etc)

You can u/l to it anything in .mp4 format (including ipodtvnova..a great website!). If you are a seasoned computer user, and you like having management of your ipod more like a hard drive, i recomend the program floola (www.floola.com) it's an excellent freeware, stand alone ipod manager that is not nearly as tempermental as itunes (of course, you have to run itunes at least once before you can use floola...weird eh?). and..floola has a great built in transcoding option that is missing in itunes (never use the itunes built in transcoder..it's horrid..takes forever and is generally useless).

Also...to answer your first question, i can u/l 100 megs (about the size of an album) in about 60 seconds (and that's giving a lot of time...usually less than 30 seconds) over USB 2 connection.

Enjoy your ipodo man...it's awesome.
  • I changed drives and it is a lot faster; thanks for all the suggestions.
  • IMO the definitive source for iPod/iTunes information is iLounge:

http://www.ilounge.com

Tons of reviews, tips, tricks, etc.

Mike