Holiday Merriment - SNG Hand

I thought this hand might be fun to discuss. I could be wrong!

We are heads up at this point. 8th hand in. I played tight in the early stages but definitely opened up as the players dwindled and my stack became more of a threat. I've definitely been the beneficiary of a few favourable rivers to get to this point. My opponent has been playing fairly ABC. I haven't seen him show down any weak hands that I can recall.

I've stolen a number of pots either pre-flop or on the flop, both from the SB and the BB. The odd time he has come over the top and I've folded, giving him credit for a better hand when I had crap.

Seat 1: Villain (5290 in chips)
Seat 7: Hero! (8210 in chips)
Villain: posts small blind 100
Hero!: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero! [x y]
Villain: calls 100
Hero!: checks

I'm surprised he is still limping. I think maybe he actually has a strong hand here so I'm not going to push my luck again. Hopefully I can catch something and end this now.

*** FLOP *** (400) [7c 8d 5c]
Hero!: checks
Villain: checks

I figured he would interpret my check for weakness and put out a small bet. I was planning to CR and take it down right away but he disappointed me. :(

*** TURN *** (400) [7c 8d 5c] [6c]
Hero!: bets 200
Villain: calls 200

I have no idea what I was representing here but thought he would fold, fearing the straight or flush. Does he have a 4? Wouldn't he raise with the high straight or a made flush? Could he have a strong draw or is he sandbagging me with a monster?

*** RIVER *** (800) [7c 8d 5c 6c] [Jc]
Hero!: bets 2400
Villain: raises 2490 to 4890 and is all-in

Hmmm. I put in the big overbet thinking he could only call with a huge hand. Now that I think about it, I could have accomplished this much better with a 1000 bet. Could he be bluffing here? How big of a hand do I have to have to call here?

Comments

• You do realize there's a flush draw on the turn, and it hit on the river, right?

I'd need a big club to call here. Q minimum.

/g2
  • What level is this at?

Why did you make that river bet?

Was it a bluff?
    Was it for value?
    Did you misclick?

Your bet looks like either the nuts or air.

He has left you with pretty good odds on a call so he can't really expect much fold equity here if he is running a bluff. It is like 80% that he holds Kc or Qc and possibly Ac (he should have raised any A stranger things have happened).

You have a 3-2 chip lead to start the hand and your read is that he is kind of tightish which is pretty good for you in a heads-up situation. You can just bet him to death in small pots and lean on him with your stack advantage.

If you call and miss you have $3k left and an M of 10. This hand is your tournament right here. You need the A or K of clubs to call.
  • You are getting 3-to-1 pot odds to call. Unless you think there is a 25% probability that the ABC player is putting his SNG life on the line with a bluff raise or was blinded by his high straight to the four-card flush, I would fold. I am putting him as having at least a Queen-high flush. I think the only way I'll call is if I have at least Kc.
    -ev wrote: »
    Could he be bluffing here? How big of a hand do I have to have to call here?
  • what buy in?

This whole hand is fcked. Ac or better.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    This whole hand is fcked.

LOL. I actually typed that in my post and then deleted it.

JINX
  • cadillac wrote: »
    LOL. I actually typed that in my post and then deleted it.

JINX
    You two are a perfect match :)

/g2
  • It is a 50+5 SNG.

Yes, I knew the flush draw just got there.

Yes, I either had the nuts or air.

Based on my read of the opponent, when he called the turn I figured he had the nut flush draw or was trapping with a set or top straight.

Given all that, why the hell did I put out a big bet on the river? Hee haw!
  • -ev wrote: »
    Given all that, why the hell did I put out a big bet on the river? Hee haw!

Cause you had the str8 flush obv
  • cadillac wrote: »
    Cause you had the str8 flush obv
    Nice read, Snuggles. I had the absomotherfuckinglute nuts. At least that's how it went in my dream. Unfortunately, I woke up before I could see what he had. Other than that, a great tourney ending. Merry Christmas to me!
  • -ev wrote: »
    *** RIVER *** (800) [7c 8d 5c 6c] [Jc]
    Hero!: bets 2400
    Villain: raises 2490 to 4890 and is all-in

Qc is a bluff catcher.

I doubt this is a re-steal a 3x pot all in bluff.

Call with the nut sf, Ac or maybe Kc.

Everything else is a bluff catcher.
  • I did, in fact, have 8c 9c. When he limped PF, I normally would have raised but I felt at this point he would re-raise and I would have to fold. And you know how huge suited connectors can be when they hit!

On the flop, I felt huge but he had a habit of folding whenever I had shown strength on other hands. I expected him to bet when I showed weakness. At that point, I thought he could be slowplaying something big, knowing that I wouldn't let the turn go by without a bet given our history.

My head exploded on the turn. I obliged my potentially slowplaying friend by putting out a weak bet, figuring he would CR me and completely trap himself. When he just called with flush and straight draws out there, I put him on Qc+.

The river completed the perfect storm. My bet was intended to look like a strong flush, maybe Qc or Kc but more likely a complete bluff, figuring with his strong flush he would have to push. (I figured if he didn't have at least Qc, there was no way he was calling any bet here anyway so I might as well make as much as I could from the hand). I think my mistake was betting so much that he could have figured out he had no fold equity (like he couldn't get me to fold Kc here with a push against his Qc) but maybe I'm over thinking it.

He had AcTc. If I had raised PF, he would have chased me out. I thought I was huge on the flop but I was only a 58% fav. Does anyone else play either side of this hand differently?
  • I am betting the flop 100% of the time. You have a huge draw and you need to start getting some $$$ in the pot incase you hit. If you don't hit you can still win the pot by betting at it.

This worked for you in this situation, sweet tits. But you are also lucky that he had one of the only hands that is going to pay you off here. What happens the other 98% of the time?