CPT T.O.C. Hand

Situation: You are playing in the Canadian Poker Tour "Tournament of Champions." The Skill Level 6 tournament includes WPT champions Steve Paul-Ambrose and Soren Turkewitsch, along with some Americans such as online superstar "dpeters17."

Your hand: :as :8s

Action: With blinds at 25/25 and an above-average stack of 11,000 chips, you limp in early position. Four other players limp in.

Flop: :ac :3s :6h. It is checked to you, and you bet 125. Only the big blind calls.

Turn: :ad. BB checks.

Question 1: Do you check or bet?

Action: You ask the BB how many chips he has left, and he is the shortest stack with only 5,400. You bet 400 and BB calls, with only one 5K chip left.

River: :4h. BB checks.

Question 2: Your read on the BB is that he may have the case Ace with a mediocre kicker like yours. Do you check, bet or go all-in?

Comments

• I think the only reasonable thing to do on both streets is to bet. If you get raised on the turn, I think you go into check call mode (depending on the river bet).

Your mistake on this hand was limping in with A8.

stp
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Situation: You are playing in the Canadian Poker Tour "Tournament of Champions." The Skill Level 6 tournament includes WPT champions Steve Paul-Ambrose and Soren Turkewitsch, along with some Americans such as online superstar "dpeters17".

Your hand: :as :8s

Action: With blinds at 25/25 and an above-average stack of 11,000 chips, you limp in early position. Four other players limp in.

Flop: :ac :3s :6h. It is checked to you, and you bet 125. Only the big blind calls.

Turn: :ad. BB checks.

Action: You ask the BB how many chips he has left, and he is the shortest stack with only 5,400 after having made a couple of questionable plays in the first orbit. You bet 400 and BB calls, with only one 5K chip left.

Question 2: Your read on the BB is that he may have the case Ace with a mediocre kicker like yours. Do you check, bet or go all-in?

IF you believe your read is correct......check. I mean you're only beating 3 hands right? An Ace with a 2,3 and a 7. You're gonna get called by any other hand with an Ace with all of them beating you (except a chop with an 8 ). If he has no ace you're not getting paid off anyway. Although I know that I'd have pushed the river and lost all my chips. Even if your read is incorrect and he was chasing some kind of str8 draw with 4-5 or 2-4 (which your betting gave improper odds on the turn to chase) he's not calling your bet. I'd put this under hindsight is 20/20. So what was the outcome?
    Do you check, bet or go all-in?
    You're losing too much value by checking behind. He's calling with any 6, and maybe just any pair. He's gonna say to himself, you limped, you probably don't have one of the two aces. Depending on how strong he looks I'd bet half to three quarters pot.

The only reason to go all-in would be if you know he has a weaker ace than you and that he won't be able to get away from it. I wouldn't shove here without a boat.

/g2
  • Value bet. Pot is about 1200, bet 800..if he shoves 5k you have some thinking to do. Looks like he doesn't believe you have the A, because limping Arag from ep is.....not what one would expect from a decent player.
  • Theres a zero percent chance I don't have all my money in the middle at the end of the hand.
  • Stick a value bet in there. Push is way too much but you might find yourself called by worst hands quite often.

Action: You ask the BB how many chips he has left, and he is the shortest stack with only 5,400. You bet 400 and BB calls, with only one 5K chip left.

Without reads I'd try a suck bet of 1/3 to 1/4 of the pot to get some value.

But.

If you think he doesn't have an A.....
    He lost almost half his 10K stack in the first orbit in a couple of donkey plays?
    This guy might not be around in the next orbit.
    This makes me think he may call a big value bet. So I'd bet as much as I think he would call without an A. Say about 2/3 to full pot or more.

If you think he has an A....
    Your kicker sucks. It beats a 2, 5 or 7. Yuck!
    Your hand is basically a bluff catcher against someone without an Ace.
    Do you have fold equity vs A9+??
    Nah! not likely against this donkey. So forget bluffing a better hand.
    Just call if you think he has an A. Value bet if you don't think he has an A.

Looking at the bettting I don't think he has a better A. I think I would have heard about it on the turn or the River. Not many donks have the ice in their veins to check/call top trips to the river.

But I wasn't there and I suspect if the hero's read is that he has an A, you should check here.
  • So you are in a big ass tourney with all these supposed 'pros' and you limp in early position? The BB gets a free ride and can pretty much have any 2 cards.

When you bet the flop, you are betting into 4 players, so it should be clear you are not likely bluffing, unless you have an uber fish image. Not likely. BB has to know this and when he calls, he has to have a hand. Now, it is early and the stacks are still big relative to the pot so he could have something as weak as a gutshot or he could have something huge like a set and be slowplaying it.

What range of hands don't raise PF and call the flop? Ax (x<J, could be 3 or 6), 33, 66, 54, maybe 52 or 54 chasing the gutshot for implied odds? Possibly some kind of 6 or 3 on the flop or maybe some kind of mid pair 77-99 if he doesn't put you on an A. I doubt that he slowplays 63 here.

How many of these hands smooth call the turn? He doesn't have the odds to chase the gutshot at this point. I'm down to some A, 33, 63 and possibly 54 or a mid-pair. How many of these are you ahead of that will call you on the river? Not many - the 3 weaker Aces mentioned earlier. You've shown strength all along so he could well be slowplaying you here.

In the BB, I would never fold A9+ since you didn't raise preflop. How could I put you on AT or better? Besides, what kind of donkey would limp in with A-rag in EP? Just check it down.
  • I don't see any particularly good reason to play this hand preflop unless there are several weak players at the table. I'd be inclined to value bet here probably against a guy who has already lost half his chips as he's more likely to be a weaker player, but you must have some idea how he plays by now. You'll certainly run into a better hand some of the time but you're good >50% of the time you get called and should be able to easily fold to a raise.
  • Hmm for some reason I forgot your relative position on the flop. When you bet in that position you're probably not bluffing and he should know that. I'd probably still bet if you think he's a weak player that would never fold any ace and maybe even somehow find a way to call without one. If he's at all good and you have a solidish image he probably isn't paying off a river bet with a worse kicker often enough and you should check behind. Also as terrible a situation to slowplay as this is there's an outside chance he might have flopped a set because people who play live tournaments love to play their big hands tricky/terribly for some reason.
  • SirWatts wrote: »
    I don't see any particularly good reason to play this hand preflop unless there are several weak players at the table.
    I think it's reasonable to play looser at the beginning of a tournament and see more flops whenever it's cheap, especially with over 400 times the BB.

After watching him make the call on the turn and check on the river, my read was one of weakness, i.e., he was unlikely to have a full house. I opted to go all-in, thinking at the time that it would put maximum pressure on him to avoid being the first player out of the tournament and to fold anything but a full house, including A8+.

This was a blunder. I won't bother showing my EV estimates, but I should have made a small value bet, e.g., $200-$400. I forgot the principle that if I am last to act and might be beaten, my bets should tend to be smaller than they would be if I were fairly sure that I had the best hand. Checking would also have been better than going all-in.

Anyway, villain expressed worry about being out first, fidgeted for awhile, could not get himself to fold and eventually called. I turned up A8 and he turned up A9! :(

After my -ev play, I was banished to another table, sandwiched between David Peters, Steve Paul-Ambrose and another shark. Two out of the four players in our corner of the table would eventually make it to the final five. I later built my stack back up to over 8,000, but I would not be one of them. :fish:
    I'd be inclined to value bet here probably against a guy who has already lost half his chips as he's more likely to be a weaker player, but you must have some idea how he plays by now.
  • Wow that's ugly. Given that he called a shove with A9 you should almost certainly bet like 800 for value as he's certainly in the first class of players I mentioned "will not fold any ace and may call with worse". Trying to bluff weak players off trips is not usually a particularly good idea.
  • SirWatts wrote: »
    Given that he called a shove with A9 you should almost certainly bet like 800 for value
    It depends. If a $800 bet will get called 50% of the time, then a smaller bet that will always get called usually has a higher EV. For example, if I thought that the BB has a 20% chance of having me beaten and will call any bet, a 60% chance of having a worse hand that he might call with, and a 20% chance of having nothing, then the $800 bet will have an
    EV = 0.6 * 0.5 * $800 + 0.2 * (-$800) = +$80
    while a $300 bet that will always get called (except by the 20% of nothing hands) will have an
    EV = 0.6 * $300 + 0.2 * (-$300) = +$120.
  • Ya there are cases, but if you look at the range of hands you put him on here I definitely think those made up numbers don't apply at all. Then there's also the metagame issue where you don't want bet sizes giving away information about your hand, though its probably not a big concern here.
  • I saw the better kicker coming; its always hard to fold trip aces; something to stick in the memory bank, beware of better kickers.
  • You can do one of a few things here:
    1) You blocker bet so he just calls with an ace on the river like you and he both did.
    2) You check the river to induce a bluff from any hand that feels like it cannot win without betting.
    3) You control the pot size on the turn when a bad player smooth calls a flop bet on a board like that and then lose less equity on the river.
    4) IMO EV math is so useless in this situation just because of the long run.
    5) You aren't value betting the river if you have an inkling that your hand is no good. This is a blocker for sure.
    6) You never ever shove here unless you're unbeatable or totally out on a limb bluffing(ie not having trips obv)
  • I don't mind the cheap limp for value early on. But soon you'll be tagged as the limp/folder. Limps folds to raises and will be pushed upon by good players.

Flop+Turn is fine

River, you overbet it where you're folding almost all hands that would call (ie middle pairs 77-99 who think they're good). Only 4 Ax (A2, A4, A5, A7) Combos lose to you (and a good player can fold those Ax because 5000 chips is a lot of player @ 25/25 level). The 800 bet will get called just as much as a 200 bet (where the 200 bet may sometimes get CR Bluffed upon because somebody with a 45 will want to get tricky) and I'm not sure you'll be willing to call it. You also put your player on a much smaller range than a typical live player.