AQ vs preflop re-raiser

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game

9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) ReefAquarium is UTG with :qd :as
ReefAquarium raises, 3 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button 3-bets, SB caps, BB folds, ReefAquarium calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Flop: :qh :9c :tc (15.4SB, 4 players)
SB checks, ReefAquarium bets, MP3 calls, Button raises, SB folds, ReefAquarium 3-bets, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Turn: :3d (12.2BB, 3 players)
ReefAquarium bets, MP3 calls, Button calls.

River: :4h (15.2BB, 3 players)

Results:
Final pot: 18.2BB

I kind of hate the way I played this hand because I didn't pay attention to what the opponents said they had preflop.

Players are both loose passives.

Comments

• Full Tilt Poker
    Limit Holdem Ring game

9 players
    Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) ReefAquarium is UTG with :qd :as
    ReefAquarium raises, 3 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button 3-bets, SB caps, BB folds, ReefAquarium calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Flop: :qh :9c :tc (15.4SB, 4 players)
    SB checks, ReefAquarium bets, MP3 calls, Button raises, SB folds, ReefAquarium 3-bets, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Turn: :3d (12.2BB, 3 players)

River: :4h (15.2BB, 3 players)

Results:
    Final pot: 18.2BB

I kind of hate the way I played this hand because I didn't pay attention to what the opponents said they had preflop.

Players are both loose passives.

Well, as you already know...if both are loose passives you are well behind their combined ranges. Button at least has KK in my mind and MP likely has a piece with a str draw or flush draw (QJ/KQ/JT), noone is so passive that they don't come out of the weeds on the turn/river with KJ.

Really, raising AQ in EP in a full-ring limit game is as much for info as for value. I think you got your info but didn't use it...well maybe your opponents never gave you much of a chance to use it as they never bet their hands after the flop...maybe the results will prove me wrong though.

I would raise pre, the 3 bet on the flop is OK to try and get it hu in a big pot. And it's also great if it slowed-down KK/AA to the point of only calling on the turn and river. If you were beat you probably still lost the minimum if your passive opponents didn't raise you with better hands on the turn and river. I'm not folding here unless someone shows some turn or river strength at some point.

If you weren't beat then I'm likely misreading the entire hand.
  • Looks pretty standard to me. Button should have something like KK, probably afraid of AA or QQ. Outside chance he was trying to isolate with KQ or AQ of clubs.
  • Well, as you already know...if both are loose passives you are well behind their combined ranges. Button at least has KK in my mind and MP likely has a piece with a str draw or flush draw (QJ/KQ/JT), noone is so passive that they don't come out of the weeds on the turn/river with KJ.

Really, raising AQ in EP in a full-ring limit game is as much for info as for value. I think you got your info but didn't use it...well maybe your opponents never gave you much of a chance to use it as they never bet their hands after the flop...maybe the results will prove me wrong though.

I would raise pre, the 3 bet on the flop is OK to try and get it hu in a big pot. And it's also great if it slowed-down KK/AA to the point of only calling on the turn and river. If you were beat you probably still lost the minimum if your passive opponents didn't raise you with better hands on the turn and river. I'm not folding here unless someone shows some turn or river strength at some point.

If you weren't beat then I'm likely misreading the entire hand.[/quote

Welcome to the forum,stick around please.
  • Button had... KK

Good reads guys.

I need to learn how to make reads like that when I play.
  • This is one of those hands where you know you're beat most of the time but you're priced in to bet/call down if the button never raised on the turn/river. If raised on the turn, I would call and c/f unimproved.