$25nl

Standard?

Villian is relatively unknown. I sat down about 10 hands ago. Board get a little to drawy for my tastes.

Like the shove?

PokerStars $0.10/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em - 6 players
Hand Converter Tool from www.DeucesCracked.com

BB: $22.30
UTG: $16.50
MP: $23.40
CO: $25.00
Button: $25.35
SB: $18.10

Preflop: Hero is MP with Ks, Kc
UTG calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.25, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $1.

Flop: ($2.85) Jh, 2s, 6s (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $2, UTG calls $2.

Turn: ($6.85) Td (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $20.15 (all in),

Comments

• What do you expect Villian to call you with when he's behind?

I think I bet $4ish on the turn and push the river.
  • Lots of draws out there some of them may call. TPTK

The push is an overbet but it:

1. Protects my hand on a drawy board (there is 28BB in the pot).

2. Saves me a tough decision on the river. Any A,K,Q,7,8 or 9 could complete a straight and any spade completes a flush. (24 scare cards)

3. Doesn't need to be called by worse hands very often to be profitable.

EDIT: Why push the river?
  • 1. Protects my hand on a drawy board (there is 28BB in the pot).

That's a pretty bland board, not drawy at all.
    2. Saves me a tough decision on the river. Any A,K,Q,7,8 or 9 could complete a straight and any spade completes a flush. (24 scare cards)

Well there's scare card, and then there MUBS scare cards.

I think an ace could be bad news but c'mon, KQ789 are not scare cards.
    3. Doesn't need to be called by worse hands very often to be profitable.

My point being that if villian calls, you lose 90% of the time.
    EDIT: Why push the river?

Because of pot size, he may call you. ie 14 into 12 as opposed to 20 into 6.

(just noticed), yer in Late position, why do you even care about scare cards? Just check then if yer unsure.

Oh dude, it's even 6 max.. Cmon.. Turn on the flashnight and let the monsters go.
  • LOL. I did word that kind of wrong. Those cards all complete straights or flushes. I am not scared of them all.

However:

A, K, or Q are not cards I want to see on the river because AK, AQ, KQ are definately in his range here and so is any spade flush draw.

None of the draws call a push on the river because they all missed.

It's not $20 into $6 because he is short. He is calling $13 into $20 if he calls me on the turn.
  • Honestly at $25 buy in I do not think it is that bad a bet (though situationally it may not be ideal). I am a firm believer of asking "what calls me that I have beat?" but at that level I have seen people call bets just like that with top pair any kicker, a straight draw, any flush draw and even underpairs.

Then again there are certainly some players I would not make that bet against, but in your case it is an unknown player, and in that case I may bet $4 ish on the turn and then wait and see on the river, often checking.

If the player is very, very loose and limp I will often raise to 8-10 BBs preflop which helps set up a betting pattern that gets it all in by the turn. A lot of those players just cannot fold preflop, and with an overpair you want to get them to commit as soon as possible (assuming the board is fairly safe).
  • I'd rather bet 1/2 his stack and let him bet out the river. Overbets do defintately work, but I feel that missed draw bluff -> calls work better.
  • I think a big part of his range here are broadway cards:

Here is my range on the turn.

45% of his holdings are AK, AQ, AJ, KQ KJ.
    30% Jx
    15% Spades on the draw.
    10% 77+ (under pairs) who don't believe me and want to see if I give up on the turn.

I think the 45% portion is very often going to miscalculate how many out he has. AK for example may think he has (4 queens, 3 Kings, 3 Aces) for 10 outs plus 9 more if he has spades for 19.

Won't you get a ton of calls here?
  • cadillac wrote: »
    I think a big part of his range here are broadway cards:

30% Jx
    15% Spades on the draw.
    10% 77+ (under pairs) who don't believe me and want to see if I give up on the turn.

I think the 45% portion is very often going to miscalculate how many out he has. AK for example may think he has (4 queens, 3 Kings, 3 Aces) for 10 outs plus 9 more if he has spades for 19.

You have an unknown opponent who limped PF and then called 5xBB, then called an almost pot sized bet, and you are giving him AK/AQ/KQ that often? Any reason your numbers are skewed that high? I have to think Jx and 6x probably make up much more of his range than 2 overs (unless he has a flush draw)
    I think a big part of his range here are broadway cards:

30% Jx
    15% Spades on the draw.

I don't think players who are behind will call you. You are looking at the best possible draw situation and the math behind that barely supports the call. I think you will get called by someone who is beating you much more than you get called with someone who is way behind. I also think that if the max buy-in is $25 you are asking someone to call off their entire stack with a good draw or one pair. Isn't it more likely they will call half their stack in this situation?
  • Seriously, at this level many players will call any bet with an apparent hand

dealt to Monteroy [7d 5d]
    raul: folds
    Eylen: folds
    Dinky66: calls $0.25
    Xluckyx: calls $0.25
    Jackhammr: folds
    Nath05055: calls $0.25
    pokerspii: folds
    Mr-Mista: calls $0.10
    Monteroy: checks
    FLOP
    [3s 2s 5s]
    Mr-Mista: checks
    Sagacious: checks
    Dinky66: checks
    Xluckyx: checks
    Nath05055: bets $0.50
    Mr-Mista: folds
    Monteroy: folds
    Dinky66: folds
    str0geist joins the table at seat #5
    Xluckyx: calls $0.50
    TURN
    [3s 2s 5s][9s]
    Nath05055: bets $0.25
    RIVER
    [3s 2s 5s 9s][As]
    Xluckyx: bets $21.88 and is all-in
    Nath05055: is all-in $16.95
    Returned uncalled bets $4.93 to Xluckyx
    SHOW DOWN
    Xluckyx: shows [4s 4d] (Straight Flush, Five high)
    Nath05055: shows [5c Js] (A Flush, Ace high)
    Xluckyx collected $34.82 from Main pot
  • I was so excited for 3.5 seconds about^^^^^^^^

I thought this was going to be Monteroy calling off his/her stack with tp7k..I had already opened up the g2 msn window to nominate he/she for the hillarious POTD.

I like the smaller turn bet, for the excellent reasons provided Cadillac.

Will someone start a "Worst played hands Ever" thread? I promise to find something awesome to contribute, it would be such a laugh.
  • Monteroy wrote: »
    Seriously, at this level many players will call any bet with an apparent hand

dealt to Monteroy [7d 5d]
    raul: folds
    Eylen: folds
    Dinky66: calls $0.25
    Jackhammr: folds
    Nath05055: calls $0.25
    pokerspii: folds
    Mr-Mista: calls $0.10
    Monteroy: checks
    FLOP
    [3s 2s 5s]
    Mr-Mista: checks
    Sagacious: checks
    Dinky66: checks
    Nath05055: bets $0.50
    Mr-Mista: folds
    Monteroy: folds
    Dinky66: folds
    str0geist joins the table at seat #5
    Xluckyx: calls $0.50
    TURN
    [3s 2s 5s][9s]
    Nath05055: bets $0.25
    RIVER
    [3s 2s 5s 9s][As]
    Xluckyx: bets $21.88 and is all-in
    Nath05055: is all-in $16.95
    Returned uncalled bets $4.93 to Xluckyx
    SHOW DOWN
    Xluckyx: shows [4s 4d] (Straight Flush, Five high)
    Nath05055: shows [5c Js] (A Flush, Ace high)
    Xluckyx collected $34.82 from Main pot

I don't disagree with this assessment of the players at this level, but this is a different situation - a call on the river with a made hand (although clearly not the nuts).
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Will someone start a "Worst played hands Ever" thread? I promise to find something awesome to contribute, it would be such a laugh.

I had one. Turbo SnG..UTG pushed for 225 (so 25 more than the BB) with blinds at 100/200, BB folded...
  • Yeah ok, though I suppose my general point is at $25 buy in you can expect a lot of play that is for lack of a better term utterly stupid.

This is not to say all that play these levels are bad, some are probably quite good, however a lot of times the book can be tossed out when it comes to common sense at the very small buy in levels.

I have played about 1000 hands of 25 NL lately while scrambling to get some MPPs (essentially similar to FPPs on Stars) on a couple of the Crypto rooms to qualify for a few special tournaments. I have lost track of the number of $20 bets into $1 pots, 25 cent bets into $30 pots, people calling $20 bets into a $3 pot with one pair etc.

Obviously without any read on a player I would not expect such behavior, however it does exist quite a bit more at this level then say $100 buy in, so my point is that while I think the OP's betting line was a bit much, for $25 NL buy in (even without a read) I think it is not really that bad as in general you will have a lot of hands call you that you do have beat.

Hope that makes some sense :P

Edit: Regarding worst played hand ever - that is tricky because some of the funniest ones tend to be players who just misread a board like the guy on Party $2/4 limit who called 4 bets on the turn and 4 on the river with 22 when the board was JJJJ then river was 5. Shockingly, the other two players had an ace :).

Also seen people check when last to act on the river with quads and also once a straight flush. I just assume they were slow playing for 6th street.
    Standard?

Villian is relatively unknown. I sat down about 10 hands ago. Board get a little to drawy for my tastes.

Like the shove?

PokerStars $0.10/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em - 6 players
    Hand Converter Tool from www.DeucesCracked.com

BB: $22.30
    UTG: $16.50
    MP: $23.40
    CO: $25.00
    Button: $25.35
    SB: $18.10

Preflop: Hero is MP with Ks, Kc
    UTG calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.25, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $1.

UTG checks, Hero bets $2, UTG calls $2.

UTG checks, Hero bets $20.15 (all in),

No other bet size makes any sense.
    Betting pot would leave the villian with about $6 looking at a $20 pot...

I like your bet sizing.
  • No other bet size makes any sense.
    Betting pot would leave the villian with about $6 looking at a $20 pot...

I like your bet sizing.

But isn't that what you want villain to do? You want extract maximum amount of chips. This isn't a tournament where you have to worry about bets of later streets. If you can make him call a bet right now when he's behind, instead of possibly betting him out with such a strong bet, why not bet that specific amount?