Betting on the Horseies?

Over the weekend, I had the privilege of going off to London for my company Christmas party held at the restaurant at the racetrack. This naturally provided me a great opportunity to bet on the horses for the first time ever..

The one thing that I noticed at the track was that the favorites listed in the track guide would land up pricing themselves from a published 5 to 2 or 3 to 1 down to a 1.5:1 by post time.

Most of the time, those 'favorites' would land up finishing 5th or worse which made me think about pari-mutual wagering and actually being able to profitably bet on horses (previous, I didn't really think it possible).. I assume what was going on was all the other holiday party goers drove down the price of the favorites to unprofitable levels.. Allowing someone with that knowledge to place profitable bets on other horses..

Anyway, I was curious about betting strategies people use at the track. My 'system' was to look at career wins for the year (can the horse win) and recent finishes (Is the horse winning recently?).. Does that sound like a "Lee Jones" version of betting on horses?

Comments

• Hey, anything that takes your mind off of the agonizing task of trying to beat 5 10 limit holdem
  • Winning strategy:

Get down on the rail for Post Parade and smell the Poop. Smelliest poop gets wheeled in the triactor.
  • Hey, anything that takes your mind off of the agonizing task of trying to beat 5 10 limit holdem

I'm honored that your only intention at CPF is to troll my posts.
  • sounds good,

But can it win enough to beat the house cut (15-25%)
    I'd test it out on old track records.
  • Bet the driver.

I grew up in the standard bred industry my whole life and without going to qualifiers and spending hours studying a program - betting the winningest drivers is the only way to make money.
  • But can it win enough to beat the house cut (15-25%)

Good point, I read the back of the rules and regs and it was something insane like 25% being cut out of the pool..
    Bet the driver.

Thanks for the tip. I assume driver stats are in the standard program?
  • It's not a great strategy but it works for me. I haven't had a losing 'session' in years. I go about 6-7 times a year.

I basically never bet on any horse to win, always show. I throw out all the favorites and only look at the underdogs 8-1 or higher. Compare there recent results and go with my gut. When betting to show, usually the best you can do is double your money even on a longshot. But in the 2nd race you put $30 down and higher and higher.

Not the best startegy but like I said, I can't remember the last time I lost, so it works for me.
  • Hey BBC talk to JOe about that one .. His whole family does the horse thing.
    they have owned horse in harnass racing for years now.. All I know is ..(And I just have learned this) . the 5/2 is not really good.. you want more like 10/2 or better.. that's more bang for your buck.. not sure how the ratio really works. As I learned there is so many different ways to bet it is sick.. As Joe always tells me its all about the math. And never bet on every race for the night. Pick and choose (blah spelling) the races you like..

But AcidJoe can tell ya.. he is the betting man .....
  • Not the best startegy but like I said, I can't remember the last time I lost, so it works for me.

Yeah, I was basically looking for some easy strategy so I can keep looking like a genious infront of my colleagues.. Thanks.
    Hey BBC talk to JOe about that one

I expected him to jump all over this thread..
  • lol I dont think he even saw it .. He was to busy with the sports betting stuff.. YOu know Joe.. I am sure he will add to this soon...
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Good point, I read the back of the rules and regs and it was something insane like 25% being cut out of the pool..

Depending on the bet you lose between 15 to 30% of the pool.

Usually the driver stats are in the program somewhere.
  • Sorry BBC have been busy working and betting 2nd half baskets and football games. Was all over the under in todays EUFA game taking Porto under 2.5 goals.