Interesting hand, what could I do?

2/5 donkament in Brantford,

I have 4's and pot is raised to 4 before me, I call

Flop comes 8c 4c 2s

I flop a set so I bet, some other loosish player raises (I figure A8 ), a couple of players call, I get reraised, again not a very tight player so I figure maybe pocket 9's or 2 pair, so I cap and it's called around (I put the other players on flush draws

Turn - Ks

I bet out, it's raised (so I revise my thoughts on A8 to K8) and reraised everyone else drops out 3 of us left.

so I call the extra 10.

River - As

checked around, I'm a tiny bit wary of the flush, so I check, it's bet behind me and I raise my last 2 bucks all-in.

so it's called around.

Players show..

trip 4's, trip 8's (from the guy I put on 2 pair), trip k's (from the k8 guy)

Anything I should have done differently?

I thought the trip 8's might have 8's but the kings came from right field. I figured I was going to either win the pot against 2 players, or lose to a flush :)

Comments

• Those are the kind of hands that make me glad I am sitting at a limit table instead of a no-limit table ;). It defeinately hurts less.
  • Not much you can do here.
    Happens so rarely you really can't worry about it.

Be glad it wasn't HU with alot of chips (No cap)
  • Tough hand to hit a set and find out on showdown that your hand is third! Not much you can do with limit, no real indication of what other players may have because you can't bet a percentage of the pot and be raised and re-raised where you might figure your set to be beat. :( really sucks :js :jd
  • Those are the kind of hands that make me glad I am sitting at a limit table instead of a no-limit table ;).

Except at a NL table, I am probably looking at calling a huge PF bet with my little 4's and fold them.
  • zunni74 wrote: »
    fyi donkament means tournament with stupid blinds

2/5 at brantford could be called donktastic though ;)
    zunni74 wrote: »

I thought the trip 8's might have 8's but the kings came from right field. I figured I was going to either win the pot against 2 players, or lose to a flush :)[/quote]
    I think you slowed down at the right time. No way you could have gotten away from the hand.

/g2
  • right donkament = tourney not sure why I put that.. I think I meant donkathon with a bunch of donktastic donkletes.

As for NL games, I would have faced a large re-raise from the KK hand, and would have saved myself the rest of the hand (and chips), or if he tried to slow-play it, I would have strongly bet the flop and there's a chance he would have folded his KK. The 8's would have still had me, but at least I could have potentially figured that out when a MONSTER re-raise (all-in) followed :)
  • I'm know I'm paraphrasing, but I believe Harrington said something to the effect "If you don't lose all your money with and under-set, you shouldn't be playing poker"

Chalk it up to "Poop Happens". You'll get'em next time.
  • Most players at Donkford don't raise their big hands. I'm never surprised when we get to the river and I see AA, KK, QQ with nary a preflop raise. If they want to play that way, fine by me.
  • That's true. I had a guy complaining that I had trips with 8 5 offsuit on his pocket rockets last Friday.

"Tip 8s? <sigh> What am I suppose to do with pocket rockets?" -Him

"Well raise for one thing. I was big blind, I got to see the flop for nothing. If you had raised $2 I would have folded it." -Me

Poor guy, he kept getting hands against me and I had the better hand almost every time ;). That's probably what led to the preflop slow play. Seemed a nice enough gentleman.
  • zunni74 wrote: »

I have 4's and pot is raised to 4 before me, I call

Flop comes 8c 4c 2s

I flop a set so I bet, some other loosish player raises (I figure A8 ), a couple of players call, I get reraised, again not a very tight player so I figure maybe pocket 9's or 2 pair, so I cap and it's called around (I put the other players on flush draws

Turn - Ks

I bet out, it's raised (so I revise my thoughts on A8 to K8) and reraised everyone else drops out 3 of us left.

so I call the extra 10.

River - As

checked around, I'm a tiny bit wary of the flush, so I check, it's bet behind me and I raise my last 2 bucks all-in.

so it's called around.

Players show..

trip 4's, trip 8's (from the guy I put on 2 pair), trip k's (from the k8 guy)

I thought the trip 8's might have 8's but the kings came from right field. I figured I was going to either win the pot against 2 players, or lose to a flush :)

If you don't lose a lot of money in set over set situations... you played it wrong.
  • This may seem a sin...

Fold 44 preflop?

Mark
  • If the preflop betting had been capped, I would have... Seeing a flop for that price was reasonable imo. Perhaps that's wrong, but then you'll only ever rarely get to set-mine because finding a round of betting pre-flop that hasn't been raised at least once is scarse. Very loose raises by the people at this table (K4, Q3, even cards like 74o and 95o would be raised)

And if the board hadn't hit me, I was also gone (unless I got to see the turn for free)

But depending on the hand, you can usually try to catch a set fairly cheaply.

It was just a bad beat :)
  • Set mining in limit is a leak unless you know it will be 5-6 handed to the flop. You will still need to collect some extra bets on the flop to give you the pot odds. You didn't give that information.

What DrTyore is saying is that cold calling two bets is not a good idea unless you are already the 5th or 6th person in because you can't count on getting a couple more callers behind you and you will need to collect even more bets on the flop to make it a profitable play. On loose passive tables, you can sometimes get away with loose limps in early/mid position with weak pp because usually you will get enough callers behind you. However in general it costs you nothing to fold and wait until you pick up those small pockets in late position with a lot of limpers in front of you.

Just because the other players are willing to make bad raises/bad calls doesn't make it profitable you to do so as well.

However if you have position on a loose raiser that raises with the trash you describe, then I would be aggressively 3 betting my pp to try and isolate and gain position on that player for all later streets.
  • moose wrote: »
    Set mining in limit is a leak unless you know it will be 5-6 handed to the flop. You will still need to collect some extra bets on the flop to give you the pot odds. You didn't give that information.

I was late to act and there were several callers however, that wasn't figuring into my decision. Thanks for the above information, I'll take and apply it.