HU online SnGs

I have been playing a lot of Heads Up recently (on paradise). Not really sure why, just an interest in some mano-e-mano play. The money came from a promotion, got $10 free, up to $90 now. So these are low limit, started at the $1s, then the $3, then the $5 and I have taken a couple "shots" at $10 and $20 with modest success. This thread isn't about bankroll management - so don't go there.

Can anyone recommend a book (or online source) with specifics on HU play. I have read lots about HU in the closing stage of a tournament, but that is a totally different animal.

Some minor thoughts.
Pre-Flop
Folding the SB is good. It helps establish a tight image and it seems that if I do it, then my opponent will start doing it (also at later levels where the blinds are higher, oh, I also stop doing it then :D )

Limping from the SB is also horrible if you are not going to call a min or 3x raise. So just raise already?

EVERYONE will call a min raise from either the SB or BB. So I don't usually bother unless I have a really strong hand that I want to get good action on later.

MOST call a 3x or 4x raise without hesitation. Often so fast I think they use the little checkbox. This provides no information about the strength of the hand. You cannot use this call to put any kind of range on online opponents. 84s is typically good enough (happened last night :-\ )

First conclusion: Pre-flop in the early rounds of these sucks. Unless you are playing someone really weak, you don't have much information going into the flop.

Post-Flop:
Continuation and value bets are 'da bomb. Especially if I have established a bit of a tight image. Not too many pots make it past the turn. Lots of value can be added to the pot on the flop that you would not get on later streets. Have to be careful of suited or connected boards however ... these can get ugly fast.

So on the last point; OMG do people love the suited cards. Even 1 of the suit on the flop can justify a call, 4 flush on the turn guarantees a call. I think that this is the most over-valued part of pre-flop play in low limit HU.

Pot odds seem to also go out the window in favour of implied odds. Being able to stack you and end it is enough to get the chasers coming along for the ride. If you know you are good, and there are some faint draws out there, JAM IT.

Slowplaying leads to death. Refer to the last two statements! Unless you have a sweet flop, do not slow play these guys. It just isn't worth the suckouts. I almost never trap/slow play. I make more money by being the bully and taking lots of little pots instead of going for the kill shot.

Short games - 20 mins or less typically. Again, they are looking to get it all in there with a shot of taking you out in 1 big hand. This also can work to your favour, you have to go with your gut a little more and really push your small edges (top kicker for example).

Second conclusion: There is more information to be gained here from bets/raises, but it really doesn't follow conventional full table wisdom. If you get 3 callers to a raise on a full table and you have Ax, chances are someone has another A, maybe a better one. In HU, if an A hits, chances are they don't have one. End it early - don't see more cards if you don't have to. Don't lay down to mild push backs. They are usually just testing you.

Later Streets:
I don't have too many turn observations that don't apply to the flop. Nobody takes you seriously until the river card is shown.

River:
Don't be afraid to bet the river hard if you have 2pr or better. Mediocre hands will almost always call. If they bet, min raise or more. Value, value, value.

However, even very small bets can win you the river without showdown. The chasers will run if they don't hit. Scoop the pot and get on with the next hand.

Third Conclusion: It is easy to get someone pot committed since they will call larger bets pre-flop and flop. However, it is also easy to get most to lay down if they didn't hit. Bottom pair or better (draws I mean) is usually enough to get players to the river. Bluffs on the river work. Use position like crazy. Make 'em play for 50% or more of their stack to see your hand. The less hands they see the less information you have.

I hope there is more here than incoherent ramblings. I would like to hear people thoughts, especially from those who played in the Bristol HU who could contrast live vs. online HU.

Comments

• Folding sb preflop is bad. Read Harrington. It's 3:1 on your money. You have to mix your play. If you are always limping with bad cards and raising good cards of course you are going to get hammered everytime you limp.

I think Sklansky's nl book has a good discussion on heads up play as well.
  • My top 3 points:

1. Like all poker position is huge. You can and should play a much wider range of hands from the button.

2. You want to play heads up then you need to be aggressive. Aggression in the early rounds of a SNG is going to give you the information that you need when the blinds get bigger. Keep putting the decision to your opponent and see how he reacts. Note his tendencies and remember them when the bets get bigger and the blinds go up.

3. Always be on top of the blind levels and adjust immediately when they start to have impact on the effective stacks.
  • I guess I am all turned around on the "folding of the SB". This is the ENTIRE HH for a $15 HU SnG.

***** Hand 852378465 *****
    15.00/30.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit) - December 3, 2007 9:46:33 PM
    Holdem (Real/Tournament)
    Seat 1: dies (1500.00)
    Seat 2: RedDeer (1500.00)
    dies post SB 15.00
    RedDeer post BB 30.00
    ** Deal **
    dies [N/A, N/A]
    RedDeer [6h, Ac]
    *** Bet Round 1 ***
    dies Raise to 90.00
    RedDeer Call 90.00
    *** Flop(Board): *** : [9s, 6s, 5s]
    *** Bet Round 2 ***
    RedDeer Bet 90.00
    dies Call 90.00
    *** Turn(Board): *** : [9s, 6s, 5s, 9c]
    *** Bet Round 3 ***
    RedDeer Check
    dies Bet 90.00
    RedDeer Call 90.00
    *** River(Board): *** : [9s, 6s, 5s, 9c, Jc]
    *** Bet Round 4 ***
    RedDeer Bet 230.00
    dies Fold
    *** Showdown *** : Rake: 0.00 Total Pot: 540.00
    dies Fold Win: 0.00
    RedDeer By default Win: 540.00

***** Hand 852378764 *****
    15.00/30.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit) - December 3, 2007 9:47:19 PM
    Holdem (Real/Tournament)
    Seat 1: dies (1230.00)
    Seat 2: RedDeer (1770.00)
    RedDeer post SB 15.00
    dies post BB 30.00
    ** Deal **
    dies [N/A, N/A]
    RedDeer [7h, 4d]
    *** Bet Round 1 ***
    RedDeer Call 30.00
    dies Check
    *** Flop(Board): *** : [10c, 5d, 8c]
    *** Bet Round 2 ***
    dies Check
    RedDeer Check
    *** Turn(Board): *** : [10c, 5d, 8c, 6s]
    *** Bet Round 3 ***
    dies Bet 60.00
    RedDeer Call 60.00
    *** River(Board): *** : [10c, 5d, 8c, 6s, Jh]
    *** Bet Round 4 ***
    dies Bet 150.00
    RedDeer Raise to 300.00
    dies All-in 1140.00
    RedDeer Call 1140.00
    *** Showdown *** : Rake: 0.00 Total Pot: 2460.00
    dies [Jd, 6h] Two pair jacks and sixes Win: 0.00
    RedDeer [7h, 4d] Straight to the eight Win: 2460.00
  • My heads up strategy is to face my opponent early with all the typical situations that will occur later. I want to know if he'll fold, when he'll fold, when he'll call and if he's tricky when the blinds are low.

So my pattern involves establishing a reckless image in the first 10-20 hands and then tightening up as the blinds increase. Most people make that first impression and have a hard time deviating from it.