A question...

Was wondering what program(s) do I need too play TV Torrents, am currently downloading WSOP TOC and then going too down day four of WSOP Main Event too see Dave Scharf and want too be able to watch them.

What program(s) do I need?

I am downloading off www.tvtorrents.net

Comments

• You need a good player and codec decoder.

I suggest MPlayer for Linux/Mac OS X, BSPlayer for windows

As for codecs DIVX/XVID/FFDShow and a MPEG 2 Decoder is a must (if you have DVD software on your computer it is already there)

go to www.doom9.org for all of these and more.
  • Thanks garro.. the help is appreciated.
  • Quick Note...

Mplayer has all the codecs built in except for a MPEG2 Decoder.
  • What about BSPlayer... do I have to just download and install it, any plugs I have to install as well? Like that MPEG2 Decoder.
  • Another thing, it seems like the torrent of WSOP TOC is downloading in 2 parts...

How do I make it that they play back to back? Just like watching the TV show?
  • With windows you have to make sure that the codec the Media file (.AVI/.WMV/.MOV/.MPG) is using is installed and ready for the Media Player to use. So with BS player you have to download it install it. Then install the Codecs (As I have said if you have a DVD Player installed on your computer you generally do not have to worry about a MPEG2 decoder) and run the player up. Most player have and advanced setup area that will verify what codec are available and ready to be used (windows media doesn't).

In order to play file back to back you generally have to load them into a play list. Once again most media players have a built in play list so this is not a problem.

;) Remeber when in doubt read the instructions, most media players come with these as well.

Your humble servent
  • On Windows I installed the K-Lite Codec Pack which had the Windows Media Player Classic. Looks the the old Media Player 6.4 but plays everything I have thrown at it and has been quite stable. It's small and fast and good enough for me. I was using Divx Pro but it would do very weird things to me. :banghead:
    YMMV
  • On Windows I installed the K-Lite Codec Pack ... I was using Divx Pro but it would do very weird things to me. :banghead:
    YMMV

Codec packs are generally not good things. Certain codec installers are not well designed and will take over functions and play back that they should not when registered with the windows registry. Also the more codecs you have the slower your media player will load and play back the files. As well the codec packs often used hacked version of the codecs, and thus the codec themselves have been tampered with, and can cause system crashes.

The 3 codecs sets I listed should enable you to play back practiacally any file that you find on bittorrent lists. The only one that might give problems is .MP4 files as these often use the propritary Nero MP4 codec (note both Divx and XVID are also MP4 Codecs). A new version of FFDshow is coming that should be able to handle these files.