Money in the bank

So I worked for company X for a week and left because I didn't like it. I got paid for the time I worked there. But for the past month (2 pay periods) I've gotten paid from them.

What should I do? so confused.

Comments

• This forum freeroll brought to you by TiMSuM!!!!!! ;)

/g2
  • You really should be getting a hold of them to straighten it out.
    Could be construed as theft (or fraud) similar to if the bank put money in your account that didn't belong to you.
  • Don't eff with karma Tim.

stp
  • if they figure it out, which is likely, you will have to repay the money (obviously). I guess you could argue you thought it was severance. Kind of like cash for life although you saved $4 to buy the ticket. Wouldn't it be funny if they didn't figure it out until you retired and then a pension kicked in.
  • If they haven't figured it out for the past two pay periods, I doubt they will for awhile. It's a big company. lol.

Also the benefit information and stuff was sent to me as well.

There's got to be a loophole somewhere. It's their mistake! hahah

Cash for Life...that's what I thought as well.
  • A guy did this at a company I worked at in the past.

You are legally liable for returning the funds when they find out.

Invest them in a guaranteed investment and keep the interest. Stick it to the man!
  • Doesn't matter if they find out. It's YOUR responsibility to inform them of their mistake and to correct it. You are legally obliged to inform them and return the money ASAP, otherwise it can be considered as willing theft after the fact.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    A guy did this at a company I worked at in the past.

You are legally liable for returning the funds when they find out.

Invest them in a guaranteed investment and keep the interest. Stick it to the man!

I was going to say the same thing. 30 day GIC. Call them in a month and let them know, and then they have to give you a period to get the money back to them.

Better yet send a registered letter, that way if it continues you have proof that you contacted them about the money.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    A guy did this at a company I worked at in the past.

Backstory just because it is funny.

Working for an international company and salesmanager who works in Toronto area gets an offer to transfer to upstate NY. He accepts the offer, gets fast-tracked through the green card process and is working stateside in about 3 months.

He immediately starts getting paid in U.S. funds however Canadian payroll doesn't realize this and they keep paying him equivalent in Canadian funds as well.

He tells no one for 16 months. LOL. Then some bean counter figures it out.

He claims he didn't realize it. ROFL.

Our Regional Vice President is a typical no nonsense New Yorker. Their last conversation goes like this:

Boss: Why did you not tell anyone that you have been double dipping for over a year?

Sales Manager: I didn't realize it!

Boss: If you are stupid enough not to realize it then I definately can't trust you to manage in my division any more. By the way, you realize you have to pay it all back don't you?

SM: Really? I don't have it.

LOL. This guy was such a stupid ass kissing dick head too.
  • Some companies won't prosecute to get the money back due to the negative publicity.. So I don't fault the guy for trying (as long as he realised that he'd be terminated when they found out and had a plan).
  • So I asked the accountant at my current company. She actually said it's not my legal responsibility to inform the previous company and that the company has 3 months to figure out they made a mistake otherwise I can keep it. hahaha.

However I can't find any information regarding this whole issue online anywhere...well at least not Canadian law.
  • Pay a lawyer like $100 and get a real answer. If you have to return the money, deduct $100 for the laywer expense.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Pay a lawyer like $100 and get a real answer. If you have to return the money, deduct $100 for the laywer expense.

I was thinking the same thing; if the account is certified then get it in writing.