CPF Charity Drive

I'll start with a related Simpsons quote:

Rabbi Krustofsky: The greatest charity is to give, and not let others know.
Other Rabbi: But what if your example encourages others to give?

I've been playing poker for over two years now. I'm not that great, but I’m better than most players out there and I have made a nice chunk. I don’t play poker just to make money, I’m a gamer and I love playing the game. The profit is an added bonus.

I recently mentioned to the wife that I would donate 10% of my winnings each year to charity and she thought it would be great. I think it’s a good time to give since it’s just before Christmas and close to the end of the tax year. Hopefully I’ll be able to increase that percentage in the years to come.

There’s hundreds of worthy charities out there but I have decided to donate to the following:
$400 - Sick Kids Hospital
$300 - Heart and Stroke Foundation
$300 - United Way

I’m assuming that based on the caliber of players that I’ve played against from this forum that there are others who are turning a decent profit too. I don’t want to force this upon anyone, but this post is meant to encourage others to donate as well. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to give as much as Barry Greenstein, but it’s a start. If you feel like sharing your generosity here, please do so.

Duane

P.S. The new baby’s doing great and sleeping well so I hope to start seeing you guys at the forum tourneys soon.

Comments

• I was thinking if we could some how take our CPF dollars and donate them to a charity that would be cool. Not sure how this would work but I got $50 worth if we can figure out the logistics. btw, I had planned to give 50% of my Degree winnings to Sick Kids in Toronto if I won the 100k but it never happened. Helps out the charity and you still get back a nice chunk from the tax deduction so everyone wins. My dream is to have my donations exceed my income so no taxes to pay which would be sweet! I think everyone thinks that Barry G. is a saint for donating all his tournament winnings to charity, but he probably does it for tax reasons mainly.
  • I made my donations today and on the online form for Sick Kids was the "How did you hear about us" question. When I clicked the "other" category it came up with a more information box and I put in "I'm donating a portion of my poker profits to various charities."

Just doing my part to elevate the status of us degenerates.