If your looking for cheap Chips go to walmart

Go to the local walmart

I wanted to step from the $5 cheap plastic chips we used as a kid, I needed up going to the games section an found the same kind of chips they sell on ebay. I got 200 chips, a cihp rack, a deck of cards, an a peice of felt in a nice tin box for only $20 +tax, they also sell 100 chips for $8, just thought I'd pass this along.

Comments

• Really?? Is it a new item? I looked about a year ago, and all they had were the cheap plastic ones. I may have to look again. I've got 600 from E-bay, but I could have used more for the last tourney I held.

What are the colors/style?

Thanks for the info...
  • they are the suited kind, here I found a pic of the product

poker.jpg

*drink not included
  • That's perfect! Mine are the 11.5g suited. Time for a trip to walmart. Thanks for the info! :D
  • Just to give people more info:

I checked it out last night after work. Apparently the recent popularity of Poker has not escaped Walmart's attention.

They actually have another set that wasn't previously mentioned. It's 200 chips in a pseudo-wood carousel, and 2 decks of cards. This set is $20. All of the sets came with a little dealer button.

They also have the felt table-topper with chip trays to make any small table into a poker table. I think this was around $50. It was kinda cheesy, but not bad for the occasional home game. ;)
  • They actually have another set that wasn't previously mentioned. It's 200 chips in a pseudo-wood carousel, and 2 decks of cards. This set is $20. All of the sets came with a little dealer button.

I saw this particular set at Wal-Mart and there was one box which had already been opened. I believe this particular set also came with one set of cards, not two.

The chips seemed to be poor quality. They were very light and plastic feeling (my guess is they were simply plastic). These chips seemed slightly better than the cheap-o plastic poker chips, and were nowhere close in quality to a decent set of 8.5g or 11.5g chips.

There was also a set called something like "Tournament Poker Kit" which came with the *very* poor quality dollar store style plastic chips. (Not meant to be a knock against dollar stores... Dollarama r00lz.)

All that being said, the "Texas Holdem Poker Set" pictured below (or above depending how you are set up to read threads) would probably be a fine choice for the casual home game player. (IMO, the wooden carousel is just cumbersome.) I find it very cool that they include some kind of felt insert. The importance of the playing surface is typically underestimated in home games.

It's great to see some of the mainstream companies starting to catch poker product fever. :cool:

A couple of funny things from the photo in the thread:

1. On the box cover art the guy seems to be holding J3o (it's some Face-3o for sure) on a board of ATTo 4 5. That's low-limit home games for ya! ;)

2. In the photo itself there seems to be a 5-card hand spread out nearby 5 community cards. Is this some strange new melding of 5-card draw and Holdem, or have we actually found a home game where players are playing 5-card Omaha?

3. That drink has too much ice.

ScottyZ
  • There's also a very good deal on a set at Costco now. $75 for 500.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    1. On the box cover art the guy seems to be holding J3o (it's some Face-3o for sure) on a board of ATTo 4 5. That's low-limit home games for ya! ;)

ScottyZ
    I know that guy! He only plays the absolute nuts.

hork.