Poker Stars Time Allotment

Poker Stars gives you an extra minute to use for big decisions while playing MTTs, but if you make it deep, I have found quite often that I am left with 20 to 30 seconds of time left because I used some up ealier. It did aggravate me the last time and I really feel that if you get deep in a tourney you shoud get more time. so I sent in this request to Poker Stars:

My id is Bonovox33 on poker stars and I play a lot of low limit MTT’s. I was wondering if your staff might consider adding to the time allotment to make decisions when the tournament gets to say the final 3 tables, or at least the final table.

The one minute “asked for extra time” feature in the early going is handy, but if you make it deep in the tournament that time has to be allotted over for what could be many hours.

How about adding 30 seconds of time to every player that makes it to the final 3 tables, and another full minute to all the players who make the final table?

I think this is reasonable and would show your players that you as operators are really thinking about the game and the pressures too.

Either way I hope someone there at least considers this.

Best regards,

Marty.

I will let the forum know their response to this, but does anyone else concur here or have other opinions?

Comments

• IMO I think there is adequate time in making decisions. I hate stallers and giving extra time to those would aggrevate me even more.
  • Agreed there are stallers, but those idiots rarely make it this deep in an MTT. At this stage I think all you have left is legitmate players with tough decisions to make.

Of course there may be an occassion or two where a wanker does make it deep, but can you really worry about that for the good of everyone else?
  • Resetting the timer at each break would be good.
  • Do you ever think a step ahead in the hand?

eg.

"If I re-raise in this spot what am I going to do if he pushes? I think his push range is very wide here because he his stack size is perfect for it. If he shoves on me I will call." *** Click your raise here ****

versus

"I have a solid hand here, I am going to three bet this guy." "OMFG he shoved on me!!! Where are my notes!!! What is his stack size!!! What is his range!!! Is that the phone??? I'm getting a nervous boner!!! Where is the Kleenex???? Do I have enough seconds on my timer to rub one out????"

I am not saying this is you, but more players play this way than not.....And they shouldn't!
  • ^^ exactly, so if I haven't made my decision within the first 30sec, then I played this hand poorly.

Theres always weak players making it deep into tournies, trying to get itm and move up a step.
  • LoL... point taken! Again those scenarios seem like easier, early stage decisions.

But here is a far more realistic situation ITM;

14 players left, and I am yellow MZoned sitting currently in 6th place. Lets say it was a 10 buck buy in and 2500 monkeys showed up making first place apprximately $3,500 while anyone eliminated before the final table makes under a $100 bucks.

I am in the BB with TT and an aggressive player with 45% VPIP and 22%PFR comes in for 3 times the blind from ep. Great I think reraise, but oh... a passive player next to him calls, then the tight small blind calls as well!!!

Right there if you think you can plan for something like that, well then you don't need to be sharing your knowledge in online forums.

I need to look over each of those players' stats and the prize payout before I make my move, which in this case could easily be either way. Right there, absloutely I would need more than just a couple seconds.
  • Note: This actually isn't about taking 30 seconds... it's having 30 seconds left in your time bank to use on several hands if need be.
  • I am in the BB with TT and an aggressive player with 45% VPIP and 22%PFR comes in for 3 times the blind from ep. Great I think reraise, but oh... a passive player next to him calls, then the tight small blind calls as well!!!

ZOMFG - did you really just frame the perfect spot to run a squeeze play and then call it a difficult decision?

LOL. I hear what you are saying. Pokerstars is the most generous with time of any site I have played at and you should have ample time to make a huge majority of your decisions. Save your clock for when you need it.

Do you use a HUD. This could really save you some time and $25USD for PokerAce is like what? ......$1.74 CDN right now
  • cadillac wrote: »
    ZOMFG - did you really just frame the perfect spot to run a squeeze play and then call it a difficult decision?

LOL. I hear what you are saying. Pokerstars is the most generous with time of any site I have played at and you should have ample time to make a huge majority of your decisions. Save your clock for when you need it.

Do you use a HUD. This could really save you some time and $25USD for PokerAce is like what? ......$1.74 CDN right now

lol... man it's so funny to see those joke the other way around... really refreshing :P

I've never ran out of time in PS ... I don,t think it's needed
  • As per the sample situation, 4 players in the hand... lots to consider.
  • What do you feel you need to consider in that hand?

I use the timebank in that position just to keep me from shoving too fast.

Especially preflop, I don't really see a reason to use all your timebank. Theres not enough of a story that can be put together.
  • are u serious? how much time would u like?
  • ...wait, let me give u some time to think about that...
  • If you read the thread I suggested 30 seconds and then one minute extra. It's right at the beginning if you care to look it over.
  • reset time clock at each break. NO

I'd only support added time at final table. As any payouts before the final table really aren't "life changing" enough to warrant the extra time.

The nature of the online game is what dictates the need for a time clock. If someone walks away, computer freezes, phone rings, doorbell rings...the rest of the table doesn't know. Is it fair to hold up the game for those type of distractions? Have you ever played a multi-tabler who takes half the time clock on each decision? Do you know how annoying that is in a turbo when you're playing 25% fewer hands than the rest of the people in the tourney?

As the other poster put it, if you're not going thru your thought process when action is elsewhere on the table, you don't deserve more time. Your response of it being different because the decision is later vs early on in the tourney doesnt sit well with me. IMO, your decision should always be the same given the same situation, regardless if it's early or late in the tourney. There is one goal and that's the accumulate every chip in the tourney and win it. If you're goal is to "cash" and get in the money, you'd do much better to play sng's rather than mtt's.

However you want to look at it, it's a level playing field and everyone has the same clock. If the guys can do without extra time on the final table of a Sunday Millions, or FTOPS, or WCOOP where the payouts are life changing, I'm sure we can do without it at our small/mid stakes mtt's. It's like any sport, you are given a certain amount of timeouts...use them wisely. Last 2 minutes of the Superbowl game, team is down by 2 and they need to move the ball 70yds and have no timeouts...that's excitement!

I'm against your request simply because I think it would make the game go on longer and with fields over over 1k people where the playing time is over 5hrs, I don't need to see anything changed that would drag it out longer. Hell, even the stars 180's go on for more than 3hrs.
  • I could see just limiting it to a reset to the final table. Makes sense. I am so surprised at the concern over delaying tactics though. I have been to at least 100 final tables and have never once run into that problem in the late stages. Interesting statments though.
  • margaud wrote: »
    Your response of it being different because the decision is later vs early on in the tourney doesnt sit well with me. IMO, your decision should always be the same given the same situation, regardless if it's early or late in the tourney.

I certainly don't feel this way. The way you play hands at the beginning of a tourney vs. how you play once all the all-in rushers are out vs. how you play them before the money bubble and again before final table changes signifcantly in each stage. Do you play the same way on an aggressive table vs. a tight one? Do you play the same way with obvious new players who are donking off their money left and right against tight aggressive ones?

I don't see anything wrong with the suggestion, those who don't need the extra time won't use it. Those who have been playing for several hours and had a hard decision to make early and used 50% of it, shouldn't be penalized later in the tourney because they made the right decision and want to consider all the factors later on.

I mean what are we talking about here, adding an extra 1 1/2 minutes over a tourney that may be 6 hours long? How is it handled in a live tourney? I know your oppt's can call the clock on you, but how many times can that happen? I'm pretty sure it's 1 additional minute (once someone calls for the clock) a few times a tourney.
  • zunni74 wrote: »
    I certainly don't feel this way. The way you play hands at the beginning of a tourney vs. how you play once all the all-in rushers are out vs. how you play them before the money bubble and again before final table changes signifcantly in each stage. Do you play the same way on an aggressive table vs. a tight one? Do you play the same way with obvious new players who are donking off their money left and right against tight aggressive ones?

No I don't play the same in those situations you mentioned. That's why I specifically said
    your decision should always be the same given the same situation, regardless if it's early or late in the tourney
    zunni74 wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with the suggestion, those who don't need the extra time won't use it. Those who have been playing for several hours and had a hard decision to make early and used 50% of it, shouldn't be penalized later in the tourney because they made the right decision and want to consider all the factors later on.

I mean what are we talking about here, adding an extra 1 1/2 minutes over a tourney that may be 6 hours long? How is it handled in a live tourney? I know your oppt's can call the clock on you, but how many times can that happen? I'm pretty sure it's 1 additional minute (once someone calls for the clock) a few times a tourney.

Because it's not *just* 1.5min more over 6hrs. I regularly play in fields of over 2k entrants, I can assure you it's going to be longer than 1.5mins. A live tourney is different because I can put up with a guy who is obviously sitting there in the tank. Whereas online, I have no idea if the guy is spending that 2minutes to AIM a top ranked pro for advice, etc.
  • I don't understand how it's going to be longer than 1.5 minutes. What do you mean by that? If the clocks are reset at the final table each would only have a minute in total. If all players use thiers fully, then that's 9 minutes to add to a final table, and that's assuming everyone's clock had run out anyway.
  • In a tournament last night and during the break, I accidentally extended it due my dog going outside and barking up some racoons. Anyway I get back to the tourney and find I was in a hand and my clock had run down to two seconds!!!

Had to play the rest of the tourney on the spot, and thought of this thread as I played the rest of the toruney mad at myself.