Rake Analysis: Seneca 1/2 NL

Seneca has a weird rake system.
This was the rake over a year ago when they first started the jackpot drop.
$3 on the flop.
+$1 if it passes $40
+$1 for the jackpot.

Some people have now mentioned that they now only take $1 for the jackpot if the pot exceeds $40. Can someone confirm the rake structure?

I was amazed that people would actually limp in to the pot!!!!!!

Can you believe someone would consider limping in with a structure like that???

When I played there last I would either open for $17 or fold.

If you called for $2 and played heads up with the BB they would take $3 rake + $1 jackpot..... leaving the winner with $1...

The reason I raised $17 was that it would keep the pot under $40 if the BB called and ... it required throwing 3 red chips in over the $2 that the other players already limped in...

For the most part play worked like this...

Step 1)... Fold or Bloat the pot up with a big preflop raise limping is *not* an option. When I say a big preflop raise I mean $17 to $22 minimum.

Step 2) ... Read the flop... Decide push or fold unless you both have big stacks (Eventually you will have about $1700 on the table...)

Step 3) Eventually you will have a big stack and someone else will have one too and you can play some postflop. But for the most part you can overbet preflop with your big hands and people will keep calling you.

Note: I'm far from a No limit expert so I'd be glad to hear from the better players on the forum.

Comments

• $3 on the flop.
    +$1 if it passes $40
    +$1 for the jackpot.
    It seems that very few players bother asking about such an important factor as rake when they play, so I had to find out from a non-forumer that at least for 2/5 and 5/10, there is an extra $1 rake if the pot is at least $40 (maximum $5). Having not yet played at Seneca, I don't know if the employee gave me the wrong information on the phone for 1/2.
    Some people have now mentioned that they now only take $1 for the jackpot if the pot exceeds $40.
    :
    I was amazed that people would actually limp in to the pot!!!!!!
    Can you believe someone would consider limping in with a structure like that???
    Since most gamblers don't know the rake structure, they keep making plays that are -EV. Rake can be overwhelming in small pots. At Seneca 2/5, if the pot is $50 or less, you are paying a rake of between 10%-40%! Some hands that would be playable in a rake-free or session fee game become costly at Seneca.
    Fold or Bloat the pot up with a big preflop raise limping is *not* an option. When I say a big preflop raise I mean $17 to $22 minimum.
    Were you a net winner at 1/2 with your strategy?
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    It seems that very few players bother asking about such an important factor as rake when they play, so I had to find out from a non-forumer that at least for 2/5 and 5/10, there is an extra $1 rake if the pot is at least $40 (maximum $5). Having not yet played at Seneca, I don't know if the employee gave me the wrong information on the phone for 1/2.

Since most gamblers don't know the rake structure, they keep making plays that are -EV. Rake can be overwhelming in small pots. At Seneca 2/5, if the pot is $50 or less, you are paying a rake of between 10%-40%! Some hands that would be playable in a rake-free or session fee game become costly at Seneca.
    Were you a net winner at 1/2 with your strategy?

I have an insignificant sample size to determine if my 1/2 strategy will work in the long run ... if anyone else has tips on playing 1/2 I'd love to hear from them.
    I've only played there 3 times for 25 hours total, +480, -120, +1786
    Basically I just pushed preflop advantages. My system worked because the players were too clueless to notice I was playing very tight preflop so they would call my big preflop raises. Much of the time before I got a big stack there was not enough cash on the table in for postflop play.

I admit this "system" will not work if your opponents have any awareness of what I'm doing.
  • If you called for $2 and played heads up with the BB they would take $3 rake + $1 jackpot..... leaving the winner with $1..

I have seen this happen a couple times. The small blind calls and folds to a flop bet and the BB gets $1 after calling $2 to see the flop (with a rake of 75%). Most players decide to chop pre-flop in this situation (when only the SB and BB are left in the hand) and there is no rake in this case.