Set vs. Set

I'm not sure why but lately i've found that i've had a number of times where i've ended up with sets going up against another set.

On three occasions i've had it with litterally no draws on the board, and the only hand that can beat me would beat me is a higher set. Is it right to just keep betting it and getting those bets in. I know you can't live in fear but i am scared.

Chugs

Comments

• What does it take to literally have a draw on board? A felt-tip pen and a 2x4? ;)

I'm probably going to lose a *lot* of bets in low-limit when I flop a set and come across a board with no real drawing threats. I think it's not going to happen often enough to worry about it.

Particulary in low-limit, where the value bet is king, you must bet your ultra-strong hands without fearing the ultra-ultra-strong hand too much. (Of course, it depends a lot on how draw happy the board is, as you have alluded to.)

The odd time you lose a lot of bets with your set will be more than made up for in the long run when you get paid off by your opponents with 2-pair, an overpair, TPTK, bottom pair 6-kicker, etc, as long as you play your hand strongly in both cases.

ScottyZ
  • Chugs wrote:
    I'm not sure why but lately i've found that i've had a number of times where i've ended up with sets going up against another set.

On three occasions i've had it with litterally no draws on the board, and the only hand that can beat me would beat me is a higher set. Is it right to just keep betting it and getting those bets in. I know you can't live in fear but i am scared.

Chugs

You are supposed to lose money in that situation. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • It is rare, but will happen from time to time... Keep betting your set hard while there are no draws on the board.

Lee Jones said something to the effect of - If you don't lose much money after flopping a set then you didn't play it hard enough.

Then again, if you have a good read on the player and *know* that he will only push with a strong hand, then you can slow down slightly... maybe don't put in that 3rd reraise on the turn :)

hork.
  • On a related note, notice how bad of an error it would be to slowplay the top set too much in a case like this. This is especially so online where the betting cap is (normally) not removed during heads-up play.

ScottyZ