PCA Level 3 Satellite Hand

Second Hand of Sit N Go
top 2 advance
3-5th get replay ticket

POKERSTARS GAME #12718745860: TOURNAMENT #64549189, $75+$7 HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL I (10/20) - 2007/10/19 - 11:56:18 (ET)
Table '64549189 1' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Irina S (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: TeamWispy (1490 in chips)
Seat 3: bat999 (1510 in chips)
Seat 4: detroitj6 (1500 in chips)
Seat 5: Concordia (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: Hero (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: Jahelle (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: BIGLivesOn (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: geensha (1500 in chips)
bat999: posts small blind 10
detroitj6: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [X X]
Concordia: folds
Hero: raises 40 to 60
Jahelle: calls 60
BIGLivesOn: folds
geensha: calls 60
Irina S: folds
TeamWispy: raises 180 to 240
bat999: folds
detroitj6: folds
Hero: ??

What range do you put TeamWispy on?

What hands would you call with?

What hands would you raise with?

What hands do you fold?

Comments

• Quimby wrote: »
    Second Hand of Sit N Go
    top 2 advance
    3-5th get replay ticket

Hero: raises 40 to 60
    Jahelle: calls 60
    BIGLivesOn: folds
    geensha: calls 60
    Irina S: folds
    TeamWispy: raises 180 to 240
    bat999: folds
    detroitj6: folds
    Hero: ??

What range do you put TeamWispy on?

What hands would you call with?

What hands would you raise with?

What hands do you fold?

1. 1010+, AJs+
    2. raise AA, KK to 700 with the intention of pushing any other raise, raise QQ to 500, with the intention of folding to a reraise.
    3. call Aks
    4. everything else

It's a little bit different because you have two flat callers in between that are probably dumb and weak, but you don't know for sure.
  • Moose's answers sound very good. The biggest disadvantage you have at this particular moment are the two other callers, and what their ranges would be.

I would put him on 99+, AQs+

Call with AQs 1010+...raise with AK+ KK AA

Fold everything else. First level of the match, no need to risk alot at this moment anyway.
  • I tightened up my range a fair bit just because of the nature of this sng. You only need 5th to try again so no use short stacking yourself early on and on the flip side top 2 get the same prize, so you don't have to win the thing either and play big high risk pots.
  • I like a wider range here too. 88+, AJs+, Aqo+. Re-raiser is on the button and there is some dead money in the middle. He is only playing a middling pair for set value against the origional raiser so raising from the button would be a stonger play.
  • I put him on a much tighter range: AA, KK, AK. Squeezing three opponents on the second hand seemed like a powerful hand at the time to me. I didn't want to be that unsure this early in the game with another player still to act so I folded.

After the hand I got to thinking. If my range is accurate, I think I should have called with any pocket pair based on the pot size and the implied odds. If you're calling you're pretty much playing TT the same as 22.
  • That early in a sng, I'd put em on a tighter range.
  • Note: I folded QQ. Other guy called and a Q flopped. D'oh! I ended up 4th for a replay.

Just finished at lunch today and I'm on to Step 4!
    I think I should have called with any pocket pair based on the pot size and the implied odds. If you're calling you're pretty much playing TT the same as 22.

Implied odds. Good point. I often forget to consider that. How did the rest of the hand play out? Did you find out what the reraiser had?
  • You don't really have the implied odds though to be calling those raises.
  • ?

Pot + Wispys 1500 = 1710 and 180 to call or 9.5:1 odds if he thinks he can stack Wispy. This does not even include the added money if the other two players call.
    I put him on a much tighter range: AA, KK, AK. Squeezing three opponents on the second hand seemed like a powerful hand at the time to me. I didn't want to be that unsure this early in the game with another player still to act so I folded.

That is a sick tight range in an obvious steal position.
  • moose wrote: »
    ?

Pot + Wispys 1500 = 1710 and 180 to call or 9.5:1 odds if he thinks he can stack Wispy. This does not even include the added money if the other two players call.

The numbers add up right but you can't be calling 180 raises with any 2pair with 1500 starting chips.
  • The pot has 10 + 20 + 60 + 60 + 60 + 240 = 450

180 for me to call which I think I should have.

Let's assume a 1/2 pot c-bet if I called and everyone else folded.
    Pot = 630 on flop
    Bet = 315

I'm getting 450 + 315 = 765 for my 180 call (4.25:1). I think I'd be able to get more on later streets if I flopped a set and check-called the flop.

Here's how the hand played out:

Hero: folds
    Jahelle: folds
    geensha: calls 180
    *** FLOP *** [7d 6c Qc]
    geensha: checks
    TeamWispy: bets 360
    geensha: folds
    TeamWispy collected 630 from pot
    TeamWispy: doesn't show hand

TeamWispy was 10.1/5.8 through to the 50/100 level.
  • You don't mention the option of shoving. A $75+7, but in a step system....It's weaker than a 55+5. What were the button reraiser's sharkscope numbers?
  • TeamWispy 773 -$3 $24 10% -$2,294 - PokerStars

I don't mention the option of shoving because I believed I was behind. I try not to shove when I'm behind. (Insert your own innuendo comment here).

I think calling was the correct play.
  • Just curious...He's below this level. I don't doubt your poker skills. I would be thinking about a shove.
  • Edit.....................