MTT Bubble, Shove with squat?

37 left 36th pays $169. Villian here is very lagy, table is too passive/the guy picks his spots well,not a donk. He's picked up about 15000 since he's been at the table without showing down a hand. Ultra shorty on another table, the 3 guys behind me are just trying to get past the bubble. They have been/will fold evey hand. Laagy knows this, likely has me pegged as a nit and he's starting to raise almost every hand. Can i play back at him here with atc with a raise or a shove? Does anyone pull the trigger here?

PokerStars Game #12597869600: Tournament #63176981, $100+$9 Hold'em No Limit - Level XI (500/1000) - 2007/10/13 - 03:54:30 (ET)
Table '63176981 15' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: Mad Daniels (26421 in chips)
Seat 2: Akala16 (19602 in chips)
Seat 3: VNXTOG (1426 in chips)
Seat 4: needabanana (9983 in chips)
Seat 5: itracker (7567 in chips)
Seat 6: lgkiller (26048 in chips)
Seat 8: holla@yoboy (35274 in chips)
Seat 9: mcfin21 (20055 in chips)
Mad Daniels: posts the ante 100
Akala16: posts the ante 100
VNXTOG: posts the ante 100
needabanana: posts the ante 100
itracker: posts the ante 100
lgkiller: posts the ante 100
holla@yoboy: posts the ante 100
mcfin21: posts the ante 100
needabanana: posts small blind 500
itracker: posts big blind 1000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Akala16 [2h 6d]
lgkiller: folds
holla@yoboy: raises 1650 to 2650
mcfin21: folds
Mad Daniels: folds

Comments

• I fold here,

He has you out chipped and can call with out worrying about going out on the bubble.

If you are going to push make sure you are first in the pot or have a great hand.
  • BigChrisEl wrote: »
    I fold here,

He has you out chipped and can call with out worrying about going out on the bubble.

If you are going to push make sure you are first in the pot or have a great hand.

Let me see if I get this, you have 26o your opponent has you out-chipped (by almost 50%) and has already raised the pot. So far your investment is 100, and you want to push?

Hmm, I say no, let this crappy hand go and hope you can weather the storm (which you are in good position to do) or get into the pot first with something more than 26o. He calls your shove because he happens to have a hand, and you are in a heap of trouble (I ran a few situations and all pretty much have you at best 36% dog to 63% fav (with AX or KT or better))
  • With what your trying to do, cards don't matter. Is 2650 his usual raise? I don't like resteals off EP raisers but if the short stack blinds are just trying to $, then I can see a steal from that position. I don't have the balls to do it in that spot.
  • If you want to open steal in this situation I think the cards don't matter. But for a resteal you should have a range of cards that you will do this with. Any 2 won't work anymore because even aggressive stealers can wake up with a real hand. You at least need something suited and connected to give you more than a naked 6 outs (which might not even be enough if he has a midpair).

Certainly if you are restealing you have enough chips to do it without committing your entire stack. Reraising to 7000 or so will determine if the stealer is serious about his hand without committing you to a call should he push overtop of you.

Finally each hand starts with 2300 in the pot. You should consider if it would be easier to pick up the blinds/antes on an open steal of your own, rather than trying to attack the biggest stack at the table. A resteal of this hand only picks up an additional 2650 chips, basically the blinds of another hand. You don't need to be the 'cop' of the table. Also as a mid-stack it is hard to exercise control over a table if a stack higher than you is willing to be aggressive.
  • It's kinda tempting but I'd wait for a better spot than this. You don't want to play scared on the bubble but there's still a lot of value in making the money first. I'd wait for better position and preferably a hand with some sort of showdown value, but there's defintiely some chips to be picked up this way and you have the perfect stack size to do it.
  • I'll take the contrary position. Restealing at this point is the way to build your stack.

He can't call your push without a very good hand. I would prefer a higher quality starting hand but I think it is still the right move.
  • You are only in for 100, my thinking is that for him to raise to 2650 he likely has a better hand than 26o. Wait for a better spot to make your push, no need to tangle with him at this point.
  • Maybe I shouldn't have put shove in the title as a raise is an option here as mentioned.

Interesting. Most don't like a resteal here. I thought it was just the right spot for one. The guy has gone from being aggressive to deciding he can pick up every pot with his standard raise because he's running into zero resistance. I can't give him credit for a hand because of his posistion here because I know he's raising regardless. Me playing back at the big stack on the bubble should represent a lot of strength. And I have enough of a stack to do serious damage to the guy.

My play didn't work, but I'm not convinced I ran into a hand. I think this guy was just putting the screws to me on the bubble. A pf shove may well have worked I think.

Dealt to Akala16 [2h 6d]
    lgkiller: folds
    holla@yoboy: raises 1650 to 2650
    mcfin21: folds
    Mad Daniels: folds
    Akala16: raises 4350 to 7000
    VNXTOG: folds
    needabanana: folds
    itracker: folds
    holla@yoboy: raises 28174 to 35174 and is all-in
    Akala16: folds
    holla@yoboy collected 16300 from pot
    holla@yoboy: doesn't show hand
  • Why not use your stack there?
  • actyper wrote: »
    Why not use your stack there?

I wanted to but I just couldn't pull the trigger. That's why I was curious if anyone else had the guts to shove in this situation.
  • I wanted to but I just couldn't pull the trigger. That's why I was curious if anyone else had the guts to shove in this situation.

Like it has been said already...I would definitely look for something with some show down value before pulling the trigger.
  • Pick a better spot. No need to be the table captain yet, let him keep shoving, he will eventually get called down by a superior hand where he donks off his chips and you get to scoop them off the tighter players.

I see it happen all the time around the bubble, because everyone emphasizes to steal at the bubble to gain chips. So many people are doing it sometimes it pays to play the opposite way.

The other night in the FT 25K guarentee I watched this happen where a donk was shoving near the money bubble, well as soon as the bubble burst I stacked him with AA......
  • 3/4s fine raise, 2/6o no.

Table full of tight players I'd rather steal from with nothing.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    3/4s fine raise, 2/6o no.

I don't understand this. Can you explain?
  • 34s is a monster compared to 26o

/g2
  • g2 wrote: »
    34s is a monster compared to 26o

/g2

True. You probably pick up 2, 2.5% equity going with the 34s
  • at least with 3/4s I can envision more than one non-trips flop I'd feel ok shoving. ;) (Some of them talked about a re-steal raise instead of shove pf)

If he really thinks the guy has nothing and will fold it's always alright to shove, but like I said I prefer stealing from the already identified tighties.