Hand Analysis for Damn Aces Situation

Please take a look at the following situation (click at the screenshot to play the whole flash poker video)

5492440617.png
I wonder, if the gameplay was good, because of the postflop check.
What are you thinking?

Comments

• Okay...

You're out of position, with a weak suited ace, and facing a 4x BB raise from the button...folding isn't a bad option

BUT

If you think your ace is good, why not re raise?

When you hit your ace, why not raise or check raise?

This hand is the epitome of passive poker... if you think you're ahead, bet. Players at this level are mostly straightforward. You never forced a decision on your opponent once, nor did you allow him the chance to make a mistake.

Mark
  • First off, A9s and hitting your A on the flop is not "aces". Your hand is top pair, middle kicker.

Second, don't be a calling station. You need to bet or raise at some point in this hand to find out where you're at.

Kudos on the nice hand history video though, haven't seen that one before.

/Greg
  • g2 wrote: »
    First off, A9s and hitting your A on the flop is not "aces". Your hand is top pair, middle kicker.

Second, don't be a calling station. You need to bet or raise at some point in this hand to find out where you're at.

Kudos on the nice hand history video though, haven't seen that one before.

/Greg

Thanks for your tips. Next time I will bet :)
    The Pelopoker Pokerhand Replayer i found a few days ago. It´s a possibility to convert Text Handhistories (PS, FTP, Party, Everest...) into animated Pokervideos.
  • You should probably fold either the turn or definitely river if he's the solid type. Check/calling all the way is best though if he's a really aggro guy who will just keep firing as a bluff a lot of the time. Raising at any point pretty bad unless he's a bad enough player to call you down with a lot worse.
  • Thats an easy fold. You are OOP not too mention heads up for 25 cents. Pick a better spot.

A9 is a weak holding, even A10 at that point. If you were going to come in with A9 from the SB and you do believe the button is stealing, go ahead and re-pop him. At least then you take control of the hand. You would find out on the flop then when you bet out if you were good or not.

Figure you re-pop to 6...he will flat call...flop AKrag...you lead out a CB of 7 bucks...he will either fold or call...at that point when the Q comes you can check and release...at least it doesn't cost you 40 bucks to figure out where you are at.
  • Now i am a little bit confused. After the flop i got 81 % to win this hand. Why is this an easy fold? The guy was playing very loose. IMHO it was 100% luck, that the turn gives him the Queen.
  • SirWatts wrote: »
    You should probably fold either the turn or definitely river if he's the solid type. Check/calling all the way is best though if he's a really aggro guy who will just keep firing as a bluff a lot of the time. Raising at any point pretty bad unless he's a bad enough player to call you down with a lot worse.

Did you miss SirWatts reasoning here? You may have been ahead on the flop, but check/calling the turn was an error. If you wanted to see where you were, you should have thrown out a bet and see what your opponent did. It wasn't luck that beat you.
  • fbaces wrote: »
    Now i am a little bit confused. After the flop i got 81 % to win this hand. Why is this an easy fold? The guy was playing very loose. IMHO it was 100% luck, that the turn gives him the Queen.

It's an easy fold cause you called a raise with and Ace and crappy kicker OOP. You only knew you were 81% to win the hand cause you saw his hole cards on the river. He only got LUCKY as you put it cause you check/called the flop. You had no idea where you were in the hand. Any big Ace and you were behind.
  • Playing this hand passively is correct actually. I would never raise him or lead into him usually. Just check/call check/call is ideal to control the pot size and give him the chance to bluff with his worse hands. This is a typical situation where you are way ahead or way behind. Either you have the best hand and he has 5 or fewer outs, or you are behind and have at most 3-5 outs. There is no point to ever raise because if you're ahead he will usually fold, and if you're behind he will usually call, so the bet just loses you money.

The point of check/calling is to allow him to bluff with those hands that are drawing very thin, since it's the only way we can extract any more money from them, and we don't really need to worry about protecting our hand very much. However I would not necessarily call all the way down unless I knew he was the type to keep blindly firing. It's very read dependant how many times you call before you give up. Certainly you would never fold the flop, but either the turn or river is probably a fold against the great majority of your opponents. Obviously against a complete maniac you can fistpump call all three streets. Oh yeah and the call preflop is marginal but probably fine unless the button is a very tight player.

On the other hand if you don't know what to do when he keeps firing, raising or leading "for information" at some point will generally stop you from making a big mistake later in the hand. However, you are playing then playing the hand in a very suboptimal way, and you can't be entirely sure whether the information you get is reliable anyways. Basically, you are sacrifing a lot of EV to decrease your variance and try to avoid playing a big pot. As a rule of thumb, any time you are making a bet or raise "for information" it is probably a mistake.