Top pair, big raises

I think I made a good play here, only read on Lemon guy, hes aggresive preflop but usually becomes a calling station post-flop.

PokerStars Game #12121519043: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2007/09/17 - 23:54:56 (ET)
Table 'Vindobona II' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: knarf69111 ($2.49 in chips)
Seat 2: LEMONHARTRUM ($12.75 in chips)
Seat 3: k_the_bear ($3.15 in chips)
Seat 4: spconner ($1.94 in chips)
Seat 5: Mr_Kant ($1.89 in chips)
Seat 6: Usurpov ($2.98 in chips)
Seat 7: MoneyBenJ ($2.98 in chips)
Seat 8: justoocool ($2.25 in chips)
Seat 9: ButtonPoker ($0.53 in chips)
LEMONHARTRUM: posts small blind $0.01
k_the_bear: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to justoocool [Ks Js]
spconner: raises $0.02 to $0.04
Mr_Kant: folds
Usurpov: folds
MoneyBenJ: calls $0.04
justoocool: calls $0.04
ButtonPoker: folds
knarf69111: folds
LEMONHARTRUM: calls $0.03
k_the_bear: calls $0.02
*** FLOP *** [Jd 9h 8c]
LEMONHARTRUM: bets $0.10
k_the_bear: calls $0.10
spconner: folds
MoneyBenJ: raises $0.28 to $0.38
justoocool: folds
LEMONHARTRUM: folds
k_the_bear: folds
k_the_bear leaves the table
MoneyBenJ collected $0.50 from pot
MoneyBenJ: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $0.50 | Rake $0
Board [Jd 9h 8c]
Seat 1: knarf69111 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: LEMONHARTRUM (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 3: k_the_bear (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 4: spconner folded on the Flop
Seat 5: Mr_Kant folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Usurpov folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: MoneyBenJ collected ($0.50)
Seat 8: justoocool folded on the Flop
Seat 9: ButtonPoker folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Comments

• If you are asking if folding is a good idea with TP2K against 4 opponents on a fairly coordinated board when the first leads the flop, gets called then raised before you, then I'd say YES. But it really depends.
  • There was no flush draw really, but I didn't think my top pair + gutshot straight draw would holdup against those opponents who could have pocket aces/set/straight (most likely).
    The players at microstakes will play Q10s without another thought
  • The fold was fine. The preflop is also fine for some, but I prefer to raise the min-raiser here with suited broadway cards in later position. By just calling, you give odds to the players to act after you and can't put anyone on a hand.

Pop it to 12-14 cents.
  • Spicol wrote: »
    The fold was fine. The preflop is also fine for some, but I prefer to raise the min-raiser here with suited broadway cards in later position. By just calling, you give odds to the players to act after you and can't put anyone on a hand.

Pop it to 12-14 cents.
    good idea, that way if i do pop top pair, I won't have to worry as much about a straight (here anyway), and i can then bet big to counter the flush draw if theres one :)
  • fdart17 wrote: »
    good idea, that way if i do pop top pair, I won't have to worry as much about a straight (here anyway), and i can then bet big to counter the flush draw if theres one :)

You still have to be careful. AK would call that raise, which could get you into trouble with a KJ holding, as might AJs. But, in position, you have the luxury of seeing how your opponent will act postflop.
  • yeah, if i was in early position, i might of folded that believe it or not depending on the players at my table.