CPF Donkathon (anyone interested)

Just want to gauge support for a forum challenge. It would work similar to what Jesus Ferguson did working his bankroll from 0 to $10k (although I don't have that high of an aspiration)

Here's how I envision it:

I'll never buy into a cash game or a Sit & Go with more than 5 percent of my total bankroll (there is an exception for the lowest limits: I'm allowed to buy into any game with a buy-in of $2.50 or less).

You cannot buy into a cash game or a Sit & Go with more than 5 percent of your total bankroll except you are allowed to buy into any game with a buy-in of $2.50 or less.

You cannot buy into a multi-table tournament for more than 2 percent of your total bankroll except you are allowed to buy into any multi-table tournament that costs $1.

If at any time during a No-Limit or Pot-Limit cash-game session the money on the table represents more than 10 percent of your total bankroll, you must leave the game when the blinds reach you.

We could either have a set bankroll or start from $0 and build from there.

Start would be Oct 1 and run to Nov 30th.

Comments

• Hobbes wrote: »
    Just want to gauge support for a forum challenge. It would work similar to what Jesus Ferguson did working his bankroll from 0 to $10k (although I don't have that high of an aspiration)

I'll never buy into a cash game or a Sit & Go with more than 5 percent of my total bankroll (there is an exception for the lowest limits: I'm allowed to buy into any game with a buy-in of $2.50 or less).

You cannot buy into a cash game or a Sit & Go with more than 5 percent of your total bankroll except you are allowed to buy into any game with a buy-in of $2.50 or less.

You cannot buy into a multi-table tournament for more than 2 percent of your total bankroll except you are allowed to buy into any multi-table tournament that costs $1.

If at any time during a No-Limit or Pot-Limit cash-game session the money on the table represents more than 10 percent of your total bankroll, you must leave the game when the blinds reach you.

I tried the start from $0 and build a bankroll.
    It worked okay, I won a few cents in the 1st 3 freerolls I played...
    But then I quit since it was a waste of time to play for 14 hours combined and win $1.43

I like the *never put more than 5% of your bankroll at risk* idea ...

Consider... If people are following proper bankroll management and they won a seat in the $10,000 main event then they should just take the cash if their bankroll is less than $500,000.
  • I started with nothing and ran it up quite a bit. It's a real grind to do it though, and I'm not really interested in that much work again...
  • Trying it again tonight on Stars.
    I chose stars since I don't have any cash in it.
    Played a freeroll won 0.33
    Went to the .02/.04 lost .08
    table started breaking up.
    went to another .02/.04 I was a bit worried since the minimum buyin for the .02/.04 is .20... If I lose more than .05 I'll have to play another freeroll.

Played really tight , even folded JTo in the sb to a raise and 2 limpers..
    Finally picked up 88 in the CO to a whole bunch of limpers.

Hit my set K8X

Now I'm up to .83
  • Humm just noticed they rake the .02/.04 on stars
    If you try this challenge, do it on a place that does not rake the nano games. Like Ultimate bet.
  • If you want to make this a little different than what's been done before, maybe make it a game other than Hold 'Em. Or, rather, you can freeroll Hold 'Em but any money games have to be *insert game you're more unfamiliar with*. That way, the time spent at lower limits can be justified as learning a new game.
  • Interesting idea
  • Spicol wrote: »
    If you want to make this a little different than what's been done before, maybe make it a game other than Hold 'Em. Or, rather, you can freeroll Hold 'Em but any money games have to be *insert game you're more unfamiliar with*. That way, the time spent at lower limits can be justified as learning a new game.

This idea makes sense, I'm grinding my way through the .02/.04 limit holdem and it's pretty pointless.
    I'm pretty sure I can beat this game.... my bankroll is up to $1.04 .... zowie!!
  • Further on that topic, looks like min buy-in at FT is $2 for a non-HE game. On Stars, it's $5. There aren't too many other rooms that offer Razz at low stakes, are there?

For working stiffs, it might take a couple of weeks to freeroll to a couple of buy-ins but this could work.
  • I think the most important thing to understand from the Ferguson Challenge is bankroll management. I’m pretty conservative with my roll and play with many more buy-ins than I need to, but that’s where I’m most comfortable playing.

I started out my online poker for cash in April, 2005. I deposited $100 and promptly lost that in 3 days playing $10NL on Stars. My next $100 lasted me a few weeks before I busted again. I deposited $300 at a Stars reload and haven’t looked back yet. I passed $10K in January this year.

I think it would be very tough to build from scratch. Cashing in a freeroll is tough enough, let alone not busting after with only $1.53 to start. Possible, but very tough and a long road at micro stakes. If you’re going to attempt this, you need a good starting base. Be a bonus whore to start out and find a winning game that suits you. Easier said than done, I know.

I’ll repeat my first statement, I think the most important thing to understand from the Ferguson Challenge is bankroll management.

Duane
  • Quimby wrote: »
    Be a bonus whore to start out and find a winning game that suits you.

Great advice for someone building a roll but I gathered that this is more of a challenge project.
  • Hobbes wrote: »

This is EXACLY what I have been doing lately. I won money in a freeroll and pokerstars and have been building my bankroll at the 1c/2c. I have been doing this for 2 weeks now (took me like 1 week and a half to win a freeroll and these last few days i turned my 2$ into 6$).
    justoocool on pokerstars if you ever wanna come 1c/2c with me :)
  • Spicol wrote: »
    Great advice for someone building a roll but I gathered that this is more of a challenge project.

It would be unfortunate if all people had to show for 2 months was $0.00 if they couldn't cash in a freeroll.

Perhaps the challenge should be something like who can turn $5 into the most in an hour or two playing only 1c/2c PLO. That would be a donkathon. Next Monday, anyone?
  • Quimby wrote: »
    It would be unfortunate if all people had to show for 2 months was $0.00 if they couldn't cash in a freeroll.

Hence the challenge.

Remember Ishbu!
  • It should start at like $20 bucks.

Freerolling? Too hard for to little gain.
  • fdart17 wrote: »
    This is EXACLY what I have been doing lately. I won money in a freeroll and pokerstars and have been building my bankroll at the 1c/2c. I have been doing this for 2 weeks now (took me like 1 week and a half to win a freeroll and these last few days i turned my 2$ into 6$).
    justoocool on pokerstars if you ever wanna come 1c/2c with me :)

If you want, email me at rancebaby at yahoo dot ca and I can hook you up with a PokerSourceOnline referral. Then you can enhance your roll with $100 to start, no strings, and then bonus whore from there. We can get you off the penny tables (unless you're into that).
  • I just joined this forum, but I started this around July. UB had originally sent me $10 for free last November, so I started in January. I had run it up to around $120 pretty quickly playing 0.05-0.10, but then I got bored and withdrew the $100 and moved it another site. I donked off the rest with the exception of $1.32.

I started up again in mid-july with the $1.32, starting at 1c-2c NL. I'm up to around $650 right now, and playing 25c-50c. It's actually pretty fun once you get up there, and can play 6 tables at a time. For BR management, I take shots at the next limit when I have over 15-20 buyins at my current level (I always max buy). I'm playing full-ring right now, but i'm going to move to 6-max once i get to 1-2 since the full-ring games thin-out on UB at that level.

The games don't get that much tougher until past 2-4, so I should be able to maintain a > 4x ptbb/100 rate throughout the micro and low limit games. Hopefully.
  • This idea makes sense, I'm grinding my way through the .02/.04 limit holdem and it's pretty pointless.
    I'm pretty sure I can beat this game.... my bankroll is up to $1.04 .... zowie!!

I did this starting last January with 59 cents that I had in my acct. I built it up to $20. It took a couple months playing about 1hr a day. I ended up not playing online for several months afterwards because I became bored with it.

Last week I started playing again and had built it up to $37 playing 0.25/0.50 but have since dropped to $27.

I am going to try and play 1hr a night for the next couple weeks to see how I progress.