Legality of this...?

Hi all,

I've been considering renting out my skills and time to run home poker tournaments for people and was wondering if this was legal. I'm techincally not taking a rake as my hourly wage would be independant from the amount(s) being wagered. (But I admit that this sounds like a grey area.)

If this is not completely legal is there a loophole I can jump through. For example, I see no problem with renting my chips to people. When I drop them off, out of the kindness of my heart, I'd help organize their tournament if they so desired.

Thoughts or am I just day-dreaming?

Comments

• I am also interested in this. I have thought and been asked about doing the same. I received an email awhile back advertising this exact thing except they bring the dealers, tables, chairs, cards, ect.

They were even interest in coming to Canada if the tourney was large enough. I forget the name of the company though :(

Jamie.
  • Sounds to me that all you are doing in providing a service. And product. Can car rental companies be held liable, if the car the rent is used for a getaway???? Or a clown that scares a kid at a party. You are only providing the stuff, what they do with it is up to them.
  • Ask a lawyer. You aren't going to get any definitive answer without one.
  • There are opinions, and there is the Canadian Criminal Code.

From Section 197 (emphasis added):
    "keeper" includes a person who

(a) is an owner or occupier of a place,

(b) assists or acts on behalf of an owner or occupier of a place,

(c) appears to be, or to assist or act on behalf of an owner or occupier of a place,

(d) has the care or management of a place, or

(e) uses a place permanently or temporarily, with or without the consent of the owner or occupier thereof;

From Section 197 again (emphasis added again):
    "common gaming house" means a place that is

(a) kept for gain to which persons resort for the purpose of playing games, or

(b) kept or used for the purpose of playing games

(i) in which a bank is kept by one or more but not all of the players,

(ii) in which all or any portion of the bets on or proceeds from a game is paid, directly or indirectly, to the keeper of the place,

(iii) in which, directly or indirectly, a fee is charged to or paid by the players for the privilege of playing or participating in a game or using gaming equipment
    , or

(iv) in which the chances of winning are not equally favourable to all persons who play the game, including the person, if any, who conducts the game;

Section 201 (1):
    Every one who keeps a common gaming house or common betting house is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years.

Also check out

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-46/42271.html

for the full text containing the passages cited here.

Check with a lawyer. Poker Forums don't know the answers to these kinds of questions. ;)

ScottyZ