Wrong raise amount...?

I can't build a stack.. it seems like my good hands don't get called, either I'm raising too much or I get really unlucky and nobody else has anything when I get them...

So... here are a few hands from a tourney I just got eliminated (it's actually the only half decent hand I played, I didn't get dealt anything else that was worth calling (bad position, big raise before me, etc)

Sorry it's a bit long... :)

Exemple no1 :

First hand of the tourney :

Dealt to InsaneGuy [Kc Kd]
fatmola: folds
fastmir: folds
ocb&van: folds
JW1981: folds
InsaneGuy: raises 100 to 120
saladman: folds
CHASS: calls 110
newnewf is connected
Markp25: calls 100
*** FLOP *** [6c 5c Js]
CHASS: checks
Markp25: checks
InsaneGuy: bets 200
CHASS: folds
Markp25: folds
InsaneGuy collected 360 from pot

Bet too much? Do you slowplay the first hand? I did make 360 on that hand but could I have made more?

Exemple no2 :

6 hands later...

Dealt to InsaneGuy [Kh Kd]
newnewf: calls 20
InsaneGuy: raises 80 to 100
newnewf: calls 30 and is all-in
*** FLOP *** [8c 4d 7d]
*** TURN *** [8c 4d 7d] [Tc]
*** RIVER *** [8c 4d 7d Tc] [Ad]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
InsaneGuy: shows [Kh Kd] (a pair of Kings)
newnewf: shows [Js 4s] (a pair of Fours)
InsaneGuy collected 120 from pot

Only 120... with kings. 120 with pocket 6, fine but with kings I'd want to extract as much money as possible from my oponent!
I know I had a big hand right from the start and maybe they feared something?

Exemple 3 :

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to InsaneGuy [Js Td]
CHASS: calls 30
poka_mann1: calls 30
InsaneGuy: checks
*** FLOP *** [Qd 9s 8c]
poka_mann1: bets 150
InsaneGuy: raises 150 to 300
poka_mann1: calls 150
*** TURN *** [Qd 9s 8c] [2s]
InsaneGuy: bets 350
poka_mann1: folds
InsaneGuy collected 705 from pot

I think I played this one correctly... I wouldn't have been able to extract more money from him (I think...)

Exemple 4 :

Late late (short-stacked too)

Dealt to InsaneGuy [As Ah]
InsaneGuy: raises 600 to 800
smartytb: folds
Nic077: folds
cdg1912: folds
InsaneGuy collected 425 from pot

That one really sucks... but then again, slowplay aces??? I think it's suicide.
Or am I wrong?

Comments

• What's your % of hands that you're raising preflop... if it's too low (i.e. less than 5%) then everyone at the table [who is paying attention at all] knows you have a big hand when you raise.

Also, when you're opening preflop, raise [approximately] the same amount each time. I.e. don't raise to 6BB with KK if you only raise to 3BB with Q10o.

Minraises make baby jesus cry! (they also scream NUTS!!!)

In general, don't raise by the strength of your hand, or even the halfway decent players can read you like a book.

/g2
  • You didn't specify S&G or MTT.
    InsaneGuy wrote: »
    Exemple no1 :

Bet too much? Do you slowplay the first hand? I did make 360 on that hand but could I have made more?

Be happy that you got this much on the first hand.
    I tend to not get greedy (and go broke) early on.

Exemple 3 :

*** HOLE CARDS ***
    *** FLOP *** [Qd 9s 8c]

I think I played this one correctly... I wouldn't have been able to extract more money from him (I think...)

I think that I check (if I think he bets here) and push all in.
    He called your flop raise so he is probably on a straight draw for 3 outs (or has Qx). I am not afraid of giving the free card here.

Exemple 4 :

Or am I wrong?

Need some more info here.

What was your stack size here (don't know how much of your stack the raise represented?
    What were the other stack sizes at the table?

Edit: You committed almost 1/2 you stack with the raise. As a player, I know that I am going to have to play you for the rest of your chips (unless you are supper passive). Maybe 2-1/2 or 3BB and you get some action.

If I am short-stacked I may slowplay the aces in EP esp if the table may be trying to push me around. Then I pop it when someone in LP raises and tries to bully me off the pot.
  • Hand 1. Why raise to 6xBB in LP with KK? The only reason you got called by donks is the blinds were low relative to the stacks. Your flop bet was fine. They had nothing and you aren't going to make a nickel more. Next!

Hand 2. You raised from the SB (maybe?) with only 1 short stack in the pot. Why not limp and try to get some chips off the BB? Or get busted by 84o? Your choice.

Hand 3. Your min-raise tells the guy you can beat top pair. I guess he can't. Bummer. Next!

Hand 4. 4xBB raise in EP with large-ish blinds and no one had enough to mix it up. Next time make sure someone has AK, KK, QQ or JJ so you can get a caller. Or try 3xBB next time and you might get a bit more action. Who knows?
  • InsaneGuy wrote: »

newnewf is connected
    *** FLOP *** [6c 5c Js]

You got a guy to call 6x the BB raise from the SB. You made a pot of 18BB, that's a healthy pot. Would you have preferred he called and then watched a 4c drop? Me neither.

Exemple no2 :

6 hands later...

*** FLOP *** [8c 4d 7d]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***

Only 120... with kings. 120 with pocket 6, fine but with kings I'd want to extract as much money as possible from my oponent!

Ummm.. looks like you were on the button here, and with only had a few people behind you. The person that did call called himself all in... it's not POSSIBLE to win more.

Exemple 3 :

*** HOLE CARDS ***
    *** FLOP *** [Qd 9s 8c]

You did play this well. A turn check may have induced a bet, but meh... stilll over 20BB pot
    Exemple 4 :

$hit happens ;) I was playing at Bristol last weekend and got a walk to my AA in the big blind...

Mark
  • Sorry...

answers :

- It was an MTT
    - Not much raising... think I played it a bit too passive at some point.
    - Chips on AA was the following (sorry I ditched some info from the HS to make the post smaller...)

Seat 1: saladman (3987 in chips)
    Seat 2: CHASS (5510 in chips)
    Seat 3: smartytb (2740 in chips)
    Seat 4: Markp25 (2208 in chips)
    Seat 5: fatmola (3520 in chips)
    Seat 6: Nic077 (25 in chips) is sitting out
    Seat 7: cdg1912 (6475 in chips)
    Seat 8: JW1981 (7825 in chips)
    Seat 9: InsaneGuy (1760 in chips)
  • Further thoughts

I echo some of the other sentimetns of raising consistantly. As for amounts, I find that the answer to that is "depends".... if I have AA and based on the table I"m at, I'll raise whatever I think they'll call. Playing cash games has taught me to read the 'tolerance' of the table. At some tables, I'll raise 3-4x BB to get callers with big hands, at others, it's upwards of 8-10x BB.

As an add-on, with your AA, I would have pushed all in. You have 1760 and the blinds are 100-200? Your M value is JUST under 6, so your bet of 800 is 1/2 your stack anyways.

I'm going to jump to an assumption here, you've probably not read the "Harrington on Hold 'Em" series by Dan Harrington... I strongly suggest you do.

Mark
  • I didn't read the other replies so I may be repeating the same comments here:
    I can't build a stack.. it seems like my good hands don't get called, either I'm raising too much or I get really unlucky and nobody else has anything when I get them...

So... here are a few hands from a tourney I just got eliminated (it's actually the only half decent hand I played, I didn't get dealt anything else that was worth calling (bad position, big raise before me, etc)

Sorry it's a bit long... :)

Exemple no1 :

newnewf is connected
    *** FLOP *** [6c 5c Js]

[ raise is too much although you got lucky and had two callers; likely playing small pair or AK, AQ or AJ. bet on flop is fine; you hope they have AJ and then you get paid off. Continuation bet seems fine; if they come back with a raise, you may be facing trips and you have to make another decision]

Exemple no2 :

6 hands later...

*** FLOP *** [8c 4d 7d]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***

[why raise so much with only one caller and the BB left? if you call you only have two other players at most. I would likely raise to 60 total. I may even call in this position and see the flop. ]

Exemple 3 :

*** HOLE CARDS ***
    *** FLOP *** [Qd 9s 8c]

[one of my favourites, the old J10; hit the nuts on the flop. I guess the 350 was a little strong; I might have checked here again as he raised on the flop so he might raise again on the turn. You still have the nuts at this point so you can always bet again on the river. Only card you have to be worried about is KJ or K10 and he hits a higher straight if a J or 10 comes on the river. Still unlikely.]

Exemple 4 :

Or am I wrong?

[4 x BB with AA in early position is fine; just got unlucky that no one had anything... happens to the best of us]

I be interested to see how you played some of the other non-big hands; I make more chips with J10 than AA usually; problem with these cards is when you hit the flop, the other players don't so you don't get paid off. Or they hit it harder and then you fall in love with the high pair and you get busted.
  • I read the 2 first volume and took alot of notes...
    I agree with you on the all-in but then again, if someone folds to 800 would he call 1700?
    Maybe, to put me out of the tournament but when there's over 250 players left do you want to risk 1700 when you have, let's say, 7k?
    Not that you'd be crippled but unless you have a premium hand would it really be a good call?

Call 1700 in a pot of 2000.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    As an add-on, with your AA, I would have pushed all in. You have 1760 and the blinds are 100-200? Your M value is JUST under 6, so your bet of 800 is 1/2 your stack anyways.
    Gotta disagree here. He makes a good point, if they won't call 800, they sure won't call 1700.

Based on the new info provided, you are short stacked so you are never going to fold AA no matter what happens to the board. So try to make some chips rather than scare everyone out. Raise to 500 or 600 and hope you get at least one chaser. Just realize you aren't folding and you may go broke instead of making the 425 from 'stealing'.

An astute player may recognize that you are pot committed and wonder why you didn't push and be awfully suspicious but we aren't making much off of astute players when we raise in EP, are we?
  • Agreed they're not calling regardless here, but if you're going to push 1/2 your stack, I like to make it look ilke a steal too... added incentive for donkeys to make the "hero call"

This situation is an ideal time for something like that... it looks scared.

Of course, this is also the ideal situation to setup a bad beat story too.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    ...but if you're going to push 1/2 your stack, I like to make it look ilke a steal too... added incentive for donkeys to make the "hero call"
    Wow. Something we can agree on. That is the only reason why I might push here but you gotta be sure the people at your table will interpret it as desperation. Still, it's a bit much for someone to feel a call with 77, KQo or A9s is justified.
  • hehe...
    that's pretty much what I did in my other hand where I got ... erhm.. upset.

aa against 55 and 77.

nice pot, about 12k.

55 hit a set on the flop and never looked back :(
    Sorry...

answers :

- It was an MTT
    - Chips on AA was the following (sorry I ditched some info from the HS to make the post smaller...)

Basically, at these stacks and blinds, I'm all-in with AJs+, AQo+ and 88+. I'd probably even agonize a bit before folding AJo. And I'd fold pretty much all else.
    Sorry...

answers :

- It was an MTT

Basically, at these stacks and blinds, I'm all-in with AJs+, AQo+ and 88+. I'd probably even agonize a bit before folding AJo. And I'd fold pretty much all else.