Relatively new and looking for info

Hi,

I am just getting interested in the game of poker. I have found this forum to be very useful thus far and as a result have bought Dave Scharf's book (my first poker book purchase ever). I am looking for other resources of information. What books do you recommend? What websites or other forums do you people frequent for strategy, info etc?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide

Jay

Comments

• Lee Jone's book "winning low limit hold'em", is a must. A perfect read after finishing Dave's book.
    Then go back and re-read Daves and then Lee Jones... they will keep making more sense the more you read them and play the game..
  • esool wrote:
    Lee Jone's book "winning low limit hold'em", is a must. A perfect read after finishing Dave's book.
    Then go back and re-read Daves and then Lee Jones... they will keep making more sense the more you read them and play the game..

Agreed, "winning low limit hold'em" is a great book and helped my game a lot.
  • Thanks for the recommendation guys. Any other resources out there?
  • Let me say that I think that Dave Scharf's book is an *excellent* choice for your very first poker book.

As was already recommended, "Winning Low Limit Hold'em" is a fantastic book. I wish I had read it sooner in my own early poker life.

There is one book which is an absolute must read. It's "Theory of Poker" by David Skalnsky. Some people thing this is a difficult book to read, and it may be. However, don't be frightened off by this assessment.

For one thing, some people find it hard to read, but you may be someone who doesn't. More importnatly, if you do find it difficult, I think there's nothing wrong at all with reading it early on and going back to it later (probably multiple times... I was reading something from TOP myself just last week) to iron out the difficult concepts.

Also, there are many sections of TOP which are easier to read than others. You will still learn a *lot* from this book even if you find the odd section here and there to be difficult.

Okay, enough on TOP already. I love this book. :cool:

As for internet forums, I actually would lean away from recommending these to an absolute beginner for *stragegy* advice. By the very nature of forums, you're going to get a *LOT* of incorrect information, and it takes a fairly advanced poker thinker to find his/her way through this kind of noise.

Forums might be more useful to beginners for non-strategy quesitons, like "What's a string bet?" or "How much money should I bring with me to play 2-5 at Brantford?"

The two "big" poker forums are

rec.gambling.poker (a USENET group)

and

www.twoplustwo.com

I can't really find a reason to recommend either of these to a beginner though.

And obviously I think www.pokerforum.ca is pretty sweet. ;)

ScottyZ
  • You can also pick up Miller's Winning Small Stakes Hold 'Em. Sklansky is a co-author so you can be sure the numbers are right. An excellent follow-up to Jones' book. With Lee Jones' book, make sure you get the second edition, as he updated some of his original material to better suit today's action.
  • You can also pick up Miller's Winning Small Stakes Hold 'Em.

I intentionally avoided recommending this *excellent* book.

I think it's simply not for beginners. I have a strong feeling that beginners will misinterpret a lot of the advice in that book.

I sort of wish they would have kept with tradition and called the book "Low-Limit Holdem For Advanced Players." IMO, that's precisely what it is.

And yes, the up-to-date version of WLLH is the 2nd edition, published in 2000.

ScottyZ