Online Tourny length.

Hi all, is there any way to estimate how long an online MTT will last? At least an approximate estimate? Any online site that tracks tourny lengths or just a rough estimate using amount of players in the tourny?

I just want to have a bit of an idea so I have enough time to play if I happen to get deep .

thanks
labeach2002

Comments

• If it's a regularly scheduled tourney, just check on the poker site how long others lasted.

There is a formula (for final table ETA), but you would need to know how to calculate the patience factor (P) then it's just (P-1)/3 + sqrt(number of tables)

Here's a link to the patience factor calculator:

http://www.blackjackforumonline.com/content/Patience_Factor_Calculator.xls
  • Thanks Hobbes, the Stars Sunday 100,000 gaurentee has a Patience factor of 6.08. (unless i didnt do the calculations correctly)

But this is where I am confused, There are currently 5000 people registered right now. How do i use that formula. Thanks

labeach2002
  • You can come pretty close by taking the total # of chips in play, ie players x starting stack, divide that by 30. When the BB equals that amount is approx when the tourney should end.
  • Go with Hobbes initial suggestion for a quick ballpark - check the length of the previous tourney. The last one had just over 18,000 people and ran just over 7 hours. If you do make it deep, it's a long one...
  • Thanks Hobbes, the Stars Sunday 100,000 gaurentee has a Patience factor of 6.08. (unless i didnt do the calculations correctly)

But this is where I am confused, There are currently 5000 people registered right now. How do i use that formula. Thanks

labeach2002

If the PF is 6.08 then maybe the field size is too large.
    I don't know if there are any limitations to the formula. Cause I get 23 hrs, which cannot be correct.

So go with the first suggestion..check the old tourney times.
  • That tourney can be a pain in the ass honestly...
    First it takes a while to get to the money and when you get there it doesn't pay that much (like 20$)

Then... you have to filter through ALOT of donkey play until you get to under 5k field and even then you'll have a bunch of shortstack trying to double up with crap hands.

Anyway... it's kinda the worse I've played when it comes to big mtt
  • thanks for the thoughts all.

good luck at the tables

labeach
  • InsaneGuy wrote: »
    That tourney can be a pain in the ass honestly...
    First it takes a while to get to the money and when you get there it doesn't pay that much (like 20$)

Then... you have to filter through ALOT of donkey play until you get to under 5k field and even then you'll have a bunch of shortstack trying to double up with crap hands.

Anyway... it's kinda the worse I've played when it comes to big mtt

To me this is a great tourney (rather than a PITA). If you're strictly looking at cash, playing that long to win $10 is pointless. But if you're looking for a fun afternoon that's pretty cheap, and for practice this is great. The play InsaneGuy describes is the same for any large field tourney, including WSOP ME or WPT events. So if you want to play these big events you will need to learn how to wade through the minefield (*disclaimer - I haven't made it to the big ones ... yet), so why not do it on the cheap? As far as only winning $20 when you get into the money, that's double the buy-in, fairly standard.
  • Just looking at this tournament one more time, currently 5600 or so registered, if it gets 10,000 then there are 30,000,000 chips in play. If we assume that the tournament will end when there are approx 30 BB in play then it will end when the BB is at 1,000,000 or around level 36 or 37. Given that each level is 10 min and add in a 5 min break every hour, it should end in around 6 1/2 to 7 hours.
  • One more thing. It would be fun if a bunch of us Pokerforumers all entered the same Sunday tourney like this then we could create a rail thread here and cheer each other on. Would be great bragging rights for the one who finished highest...
  • lol
    sure I'll be in the sunday hundred grand I always play it even though I never do good in it :P

I was on my way to glory last week until a freaking bad beat though :P
    (glory meaning not being short-stacked lol)
  • For me I won a satelitte for 2 bucks to get into this tourny so if I make it to the money i'd be further ahead. But thats a BIG IF.

Side question --- whats a PITA?

Second side question --- i know there used to be poker forum tourny on another site, does that still happen, if not do poker sites allow people to create private tournys?

Edit: I like the idea of playing in the same tourny would be fun!!

labeach
  • For me I won a satelitte for 2 bucks to get into this tourny so if I make it to the money i'd be further ahead. But thats a BIG IF.

Side question --- whats a PITA?

Second side question --- i know there used to be poker forum tourny on another site, does that still happen, if not do poker sites allow people to create private tournys?

Edit: I like the idea of playing in the same tourny would be fun!!

labeach

PITA = Pain in the A$$ (or a pocket bread)
    The tourney does not happen anymore, but some sites doallow private tourneys to be set up
  • compuease wrote: »
    One more thing. It would be fun if a bunch of us Pokerforumers all entered the same Sunday tourney like this then we could create a rail thread here and cheer each other on. Would be great bragging rights for the one who finished highest...
    Some of us used to do this, mainly in the $3 and $10 nightly rebuys. Usually with a LL-bet, so we were not just playing against the larger tourney field but also against each other. I wouldn't mind doing this again (playing the same tourney, with or w/o a LL).
  • Steve, since you are not in this week, I hope you remembered to cancel your entry and get your T$.
  • Someone should start the forum trny's again.
  • Thanks Moose, i did remember but I appreciate you checking to make sure.

labeach