No Limit hand for Analysis

Here's a hand I observed from last week... Live 2/5 NL Full Table

Preflop: UTG fold... EP(crazy LAG) raises to $15... folds to MP2 (LAG) re-raises to $50... folded to button calls $50... SB folds, BB makes it $175 to go... LAGs fold... back to the button who tanks... and finally calls.

Flop: (2 players) $415 7:h: 9:s: 7:s:
BB checks, button checks.

Turn: (2 players) $415 A:h:
BB checks... button bets $300... BB calls $300

River:(2 players) $1015 3:c:
BB bets $625... just enough to put button all-in... who tanks again...

I'm seated beside the button and he takes this opportunity to show me his hand... I hardly know this guy... but I've known the BB for about 5 years... The BB is the best player I know, and makes his living from poker.

What do you need here to call from the button??

Results to follow later....

Comments

• AK minimum needed to call (and most likely loose the hand). Considering the preflop action, I can't put him on anything better than AQ though.

• I'm seated beside the button and he takes this opportunity to show me his hand...

What do you need here to call from the button??

I guess I would need two cards, since I just violated the one player to a hand rule.
  • I call with any 7, AK or better. And aren't I smart if I'm playing a hand with a 7?

BB has AsKs or possibly 99. AA is very unlikely. A weaker Ace is possible as well as any TT-KK. I don't see him checking the flop with an overpair. Only with a monster or a draw that would be significantly behind the button's range.
  • i would guess that BB probably has 99, the check on the flop feels very weird
  • BB has to have AK or AA I guess. I'd call with AK or better as the button, though I can't think of any hand where the button's play is even close to reasonable.
  • what did he have?? tell us!!
  • I think BB has AA
    and the button has AK
  • For some reason I put the BB on AK, and he saw the flop thinking "CRAP I didn't improve" and for some unknown reason didn't fire out at it anyway; but then when the A hits, he figures he is now golden, as the Button may be holding an underpair to his pair of Aces, like Ks maybe Qs. So he tries to trap by check - smooth call... and then Pushes on the river when a brick that couldn't help the button hits.

Button probably called after thinking so hard.

hm... now I'm thinking button wouldn't make that pre-flop and turn play with a big (non ACES) pair....

Maybe Button has a lower pair like 99 so he makes that flop check-turn bet as a slow play; but then when called with the Ace on the board he fears that BB has Aces, so he has to really decide whether or not to call off his whole stack on the river if he is up against aces.

So after all that... BB has AA or AK (my gut says AK for some reason) and Button has 99... or is a moron and played KK that poorly.

so what happened?
  • hmmm maybe this is 1 of those crazy hands where
    BB has 77, 72s, or 73s :D
  • So Wha Happened???? :)
  • OK... the rest of the story...

The button open folds A:s: K:s:.... and then the BB showed his hand... 9:h: 9:d:

... so now I have to put 99+ into BB's range of the 35BB re-re-raise pre-flop... <shudder>.... I was surprised the BB showed his hand, but he'd been playing few hands that night due to the incredible amount of raising that had been going on.

At the time, I couldn't put the BB on any hand except AA... but I can't check the flop with AA with that board, can you? I guess hind-sight screams monster flop, but really... a 35BB re-re-raise, with 77 or 99... yikes, not in my wildest dreams...

I couldn't figure out if the button's fold was genius or donkish... there's more evidence, but that's another story.
  • -ev wrote: »
    BB has AsKs or possibly 99. ... I don't see him checking the flop with an overpair. Only with a monster or a draw that would be significantly behind the button's range.
    Holy CRAP! Was this game somewhere around Cornwall?

The BB play was sheer genius. Read weakness PF and put in a big raise, hoping to take it down now or outplay them post flop. Or get fucking lucky and play stack a donk. I'm surprised he didn't call. Oh if it had only been 3s we could've seen fireworks.
  • The game is at Akwasasne, in NY state... a nice 20 min drive from my house... including customs!