$200 + 16 WPT Satellite Bubble Hand

Warning: Long post but would like comments

Final table of 82 player tournament. Payout as follows:
1st: $12000 seat
2nd: $2200
3rd: $1320
4th: $880

Keeping in mind the payout above, what would you do in the hand below? I have shown the condensed version of the hands immediately before this.
(# of players remaining) - My cards - My M - My action

(9) TT - 5.24 - Shove (called by TT)
1 fold
(9) AKo - 5.65 - Raise (all fold)
5 folds
(8 ) AQo - 6.08 - Raise (all fold)
5 folds
(7) TT - 5.2 - Shove (all fold)
4 folds
(7) AKo - 5.94 - Shove (all fold)
4 folds
(7) QQ - 6.26 - Shove (all fold)
9 hands including 1 where I won a smallish pot with T9 on a T high flop
(6) TT - 7.71 - Shove (all fold)
5 folds
(5) ATs - 8.86 - Raise (all fold)
4 folds

Then we reach this bubble hand. I have been on an amazing rush of cards and have been raising and pushing PF a lot so my image probably isn't that good. Keep in mind that the only hands the table saw were the TT at the start and the T9. GrinderMJ was 22/16 through the tournament.

VoteQuimby's M = 8.86
Full Tilt Poker Game #3088357386: Saturday Winner's Choice (22388420), Table 4 - 600/1200 Ante 150 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:48:11 ET - 2007/07/29
Seat 2: faxz (50,675)
Seat 3: GrinderMJ (68,987)
Seat 4: hAAydon (73,094)
Seat 5: locutus2002 (30,662)
Seat 6: VoteQuimby (22,582)
All players post the ante 150
VoteQuimby posts the small blind of 600
faxz posts the big blind of 1,200
The button is in seat #5
Preflop: VoteQuimby dealt :ad :kc
GrinderMJ raises to 3,400
hAAydon folds
locutus2002 folds
VoteQuimby calls 2,800
faxz folds
Flop: :9s :2h :jc
VoteQuimby checks
GrinderMJ checks
Turn: :4d
VoteQuimby checks
GrinderMJ bets 4,200
VoteQuimby folds
Uncalled bet of 4,200 returned to GrinderMJ
GrinderMJ mucks
GrinderMJ wins the pot (8,750)

I'm the short stack with 5 remaining, but not anywhere near desperate at this point. I only called preflop because I was hoping to spike an A or K and play from there. Given the information provided (I sound like I'm writing an exam question here), how many of you would shove preflop, or played it some other way? Any thoughtful input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Duane

Comments

• Need some info on what the standard raise has been at the table lately (from the non-shortstacks).

/g2
  • shoving preflop is the only play i would ever make in this spot
  • 5 handed & on the bubble, AK is huge. His raising range could be wide because it's short-handed & maybe he's taking advantage of others playing tight (as you mentioned, they were repeatedly folding to your raises).

You could easily have the best hand given the above circumstances, & it'd be very hard for him to call a push. It's highly likely he'll fold many hands that are technically ahead (PPs). There are only 2 hands possible that dominate you, & statistically they're highly unlikely versus the odds of him having a hand he can't call a push (& highly unlikely 5 handed that 3 Aces/Kings have been dealt within the 1st 10 cards). If he has QQ or JJ, you're still a coinflip.
  • Thanks for the responses.

Standard raises varied from 2.5 - 4x the big blind.

The play at the final table had changed to a mostly preflop game and the players had tightened up considerably.

If I were first in, I would have shoved preflop.

I put him on a pp from the UTG raise and I figured he would call a shove. I made the decision at the time that seeing the flop with AK still left me with enough chips to play for first if I missed (M~7). Feel free to disagree with me.
  • Quimby wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.

Standard raises varied from 2.5 - 4x the big blind.

The play at the final table had changed to a mostly preflop game and the players had tightened up considerably.

If I were first in, I would have shoved preflop.

I put him on a pp from the UTG raise and I figured he would call a shove. I made the decision at the time that seeing the flop with AK still left me with enough chips to play for first if I missed (M~7). Feel free to disagree with me.

The real question is you playing to win or are you playing to make it into the money?

Before the hand starts you are the shortest stack, if you are playing to win then push pre-flop because doubling up will give you a chance of winning. (Plus there is a chance he may fold and that extra money can help build your stack.)

If you want to get into the money then why even play the hand if you are going to check/fold?

Most of the time you will miss the flop, if you were going to call pre-flop then I think you should have led out on the flop and seen from there.
  • i personally agree with BigChris. since it's a satellite where only first wins the ticket, i'd be playing very aggressively. you were the short stack at the beginning of the hand, so i would have reraised all in preflop. he could have had AA or KK, but it's unlikely. worst case scenario you were probably looking at a lower pocket pair. if you were just looking to make the money, then i would have hesitated even calling the preflop bet. i'd much prefer moving in with a weaker hand in a situation where i'm the first one to the pot as opposed to calling someone else.
    Warning: Long post but would like comments

Final table of 82 player tournament. Payout as follows:
    1st: $12000 seat
    2nd: $2200
    3rd: $1320
    4th: $880

Keeping in mind the payout above, what would you do in the hand below? I have shown the condensed version of the hands immediately before this.
    (# of players remaining) - My cards - My M - My action

(9) TT - 5.24 - Shove (called by TT)
    1 fold
    (9) AKo - 5.65 - Raise (all fold)
    5 folds
    (8 ) AQo - 6.08 - Raise (all fold)
    5 folds
    (7) TT - 5.2 - Shove (all fold)
    4 folds
    (7) AKo - 5.94 - Shove (all fold)
    4 folds
    (7) QQ - 6.26 - Shove (all fold)
    9 hands including 1 where I won a smallish pot with T9 on a T high flop
    (6) TT - 7.71 - Shove (all fold)
    5 folds
    (5) ATs - 8.86 - Raise (all fold)
    4 folds

Then we reach this bubble hand. I have been on an amazing rush of cards and have been raising and pushing PF a lot so my image probably isn't that good. Keep in mind that the only hands the table saw were the TT at the start and the T9. GrinderMJ was 22/16 through the tournament.

VoteQuimby's M = 8.86
    Full Tilt Poker Game #3088357386: Saturday Winner's Choice (22388420), Table 4 - 600/1200 Ante 150 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:48:11 ET - 2007/07/29
    Seat 2: faxz (50,675)
    Seat 3: GrinderMJ (68,987)
    Seat 4: hAAydon (73,094)
    Seat 5: locutus2002 (30,662)
    Seat 6: VoteQuimby (22,582)
    All players post the ante 150
    VoteQuimby posts the small blind of 600
    faxz posts the big blind of 1,200
    The button is in seat #5
    Preflop: VoteQuimby dealt :ad :kc
    GrinderMJ raises to 3,400
    hAAydon folds
    locutus2002 folds
    VoteQuimby calls 2,800
    faxz folds
    Flop: :9s :2h :jc
    VoteQuimby checks
    GrinderMJ checks
    Turn: :4d
    VoteQuimby checks
    GrinderMJ bets 4,200
    VoteQuimby folds
    Uncalled bet of 4,200 returned to GrinderMJ
    GrinderMJ mucks
    GrinderMJ wins the pot (8,750)

I'm the short stack with 5 remaining, but not anywhere near desperate at this point. I only called preflop because I was hoping to spike an A or K and play from there. Given the information provided (I sound like I'm writing an exam question here), how many of you would shove preflop, or played it some other way? Any thoughtful input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Duane

Duane,

Nice rush!!!

The prize structure is such that there is no point in playing for anything but 1st.

I'm assuming getting 4th place isn't a significant life changing amount of money for you.

The only hands you're significantly behind are AA, and KK, there are only 3 ways to make each of them (and 2 ways to make AKs)

Everyone is playing scared on the bubble.

PUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck I'd push a lot worse hands than AKo
  • At the time I didn't want to take a coin flip for $880 if I lost. Not life changing for me but still a good chunk.

The more I thought about it after the more I thought it was the wrong move, which is why I posted to see if anyone else thought the move was appropriate.

Side note: When it got down to the three of us (Grinder and Locutus), Grinder said something like "Down to three against the two best players". I took it as a nice compliment.

Thanks again for the input.
    At the time I didn't want to take a coin flip for $880 if I lost. Not life changing for me but still a good chunk.

The more I thought about it after the more I thought it was the wrong move, which is why I posted to see if anyone else thought the move was appropriate.

Side note: When it got down to the three of us (Grinder and Locutus), Grinder said something like "Down to three against the two best players". I took it as a nice compliment.

Thanks again for the input.

How did you get into this game? Did you buy-in or win your way in?
  • $24+2 Satellite at 12:30pm on Saturday to get into the 9pm.

Top 4/38 got a seat in the one I played although Full Tilt has a bunch of sub-satellites into the Winners Choice.

This was the first satellite I played this year.

Even if I won I wouldn't be able to play Niagara since kid #2 is coming Oct. 4ish. I don't think the wife would appreciate that too much.
    $24+2 Satellite at 12:30pm on Saturday to get into the 9pm.

Top 4/38 got a seat in the one I played although Full Tilt has a bunch of sub-satellites into the Winners Choice.

This was the first satellite I played this year.

Even if I won I wouldn't be able to play Niagara since kid #2 is coming Oct. 4ish. I don't think the wife would appreciate that too much.

Well for $24 you might as well play for first.

If you win these they put the cash into your account and it is up to you to get there and play your self. So take the 12k and do with it what you want.

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/proWinnersChoice-terms.php

Please note that Full Tilt is not responsible for making any travel or hotel arrangements. Instead, as much as $2,000 will be deposited into your Full Tilt Poker account as a travel allowance. You are responsible for getting yourself to the event. Any excess cash is obviously yours to keep. Approximately one month before the start of your selected tournament, Full Tilt Poker will deposit funds sufficient to cover your tournament entry into your Full Tilt Poker player account. Please note, you are responsible for buying your seat at this event
  • Easy shove preflop.
  • Shove or Fold...