$1-$2 Lay Down KK Pre-Flop??

I played a few iteresting hands in Vegas and I have been meaning to post a trip report but haven't had the time to pull it together.

This is at Bally's (don't recommend the room FWIW) $300 Max buy-in. I buy-in for the max.

I sit down in seat 5 in the Cut-off and don't play a hand until I am Under the Gun when I wake up with red KK. I make it $8, seat 8 raises to $20 and button calls saying, "only because it's you," while smiling at seat 8.

I cut a stack of nickels in half and as I grab them to move them into the pot (one in each hand), one starts to fall over and long story short dealer says, "string bet," and I am only allowed to raise to $50.

Seat 8 tanks for 20 secs and moves All-in he has me covered. Button folds.

Me?

Reads

Seat 8 is a 50ish middle eastern dood wearing sunglasses. He played 5 of 7 pots since I sat down. Someone had recently asked him, "I thought you were leaving?" and he says, "Yeah real soon!"

What are the odds he thinks I am angling him with the string raise?

How often does he have AA here?

Is calling terrible?

Comments

• although you just sat down and you don't have the best read on the guy, i find it really hard to fold KK preflop to any raise since AA is the only possible hand that you're losing to at the moment. i don't think that he'd feel that you're angling him since you just sat down and this is your first hand - my guess is he thinks you don't know what you're doing and he's just trying to bully you out of the pot if anything.

i'm always aware of the old adage: third reraise = pocket As. however this is a cash game. folding pocket Ks preflop in a cash game wouldn't seem like a smart play to me. tournament play is obviously a different story. if you can't afford to lose your $300 buy-in and then rebuy you're playing too high of stakes. i'd call preflop for sure. if he has AA then i rebuy. if not i'm more than likely winning a crap load of chips on my first hand. worst case scenario you're 2 to 1 to win the hand (not including vs pocket As obviously).
  • cadillac wrote: »
    He played 5 of 7 pots since I sat down.
    What's the question? Get your chips in there...
  • beanie42 wrote: »
    What's the question? Get your chips in there...

Enough said...
  • m_dolens wrote: »
    if you can't afford to lose your $300 buy-in and then rebuy you're playing too high of stakes.

Not the issue and Never should be!!!11!!11

I agree with both of you obv.

He had AA obv.

Button folded AK and another dude says I folded a K too.

I tell the villian, "Nice hand Sir," and re-buy.

Villian starts spouting off to the table that my call was terrible and that he never would make that call. Which tilts me obv.

I say, "You've played like every hand since I sat down and are wearing shades in a $1-$2 game. How can I not call? STFU and stack your chips."

LOL. Coolerd
  • Shrug shoulders and call, you need a stronger read on his play before you can make this fold.
  • I'm in there like a fat kid on a Ham sandwhich..... he said what he said to tilt you. It's a cash game so i YELL REBUY......
  • Ditto. I am almost never going to lay down KK in a cash game.
  • I would have called without a second thought based on the scenario you painted.

I had a toughter decision last week in a tournament. From the botton I raise 5x the BB, the BB reraised 3x that and everyone else folded. I had KK obviously. The BB had just made a huge raise the hand before with 33. I know his play a bit, I respect him but he's a bit loose as well.

I ended up pushing and he called showing the A A.

Tough place to be and I keep thinking if I could have gotten away from it. I really don't mind losing in situations like that... much better then a bad beat or a bad decision (of course some of you might think it was a bad decision).