Party $100 NL Hand

Read through to the river action. No strong read to work with.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (7 handed)

Button ($79.70)
SB ($106.70)
BB ($148.33)
UTG ($100)
MP1 ($211.57)
MP2 ($193.62)
Hero ($112.45)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8d, 8c.
3 folds, Hero calls $1, Button calls $1, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4.50) 8h, Jc, Ts (4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $2, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls $2.

Turn: ($8.50) Td (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $3, BB calls $3.

River: ($14.50) 9s (2 players)
BB bets $11, Hero raises to $26, BB calls $148.33 (All-In), Hero ???

BB checks PF, has check-called two streets, and leads out on a paired board with a 4-straight. I have the smallest boat. I instacalled the river all in reraise without even thinking about it. Who folds this?

Comments

• No-one. Who calls down with a flopped top 2 on a board with straight draws? Only thing could make sense is 109 but when he turns the set, why would he go check/call? There are many donks who are going to pump this with a Q high straight, because they will assume they have at worst a chop.

I don't like the open limp with 88 from the cutoff, unless the last 3 players have been aggressive and you are looking to come over the top of any raise. Also the set is very vulnerable on that board and you should have been betting the pot, if not more, each time.
  • moose wrote: »
    No-one. Who calls down with a flopped top 2 on a board with straight draws? Only thing could make sense is 109 but when he turns the set, why would he go check/call? There are many donks who are going to pump this with a Q high straight, because they will assume they have at worst a chop.

I don't like the open limp with 88 from the cutoff, unless the last 3 players have been aggressive and you are looking to come over the top of any raise. Also the set is very vulnerable on that board and you should have been betting the pot, if not more, each time.

What he said.....exactly

You need pretty convincing evidence to lay down your boat here.

I like raising up mid pairs from late positon as well. This does a lot for you....

1. You take control of the hand (No Limit Hold Them awards bold and aggressive play)

2. It gets cash in the pot so if you flop a set you win some mobnies.
  • I'd have to physically see his hand before I fold here.
  • There are many donks who are going to pump this with a Q high straight, because they will assume they have at worst a chop.

If I really had to guess, I'd say KQ is a better possibility since he'll may be assuming a Q high straight will call.

I'd echo the other sentiments of open raising this hand as well as betting bigger on the flop. It's not so much that slow playing is dangerous (it is) as much as that there are so many horrible cards that could kill your action or leave you wondering where the heck you stand.

I don't like the tiny river raise either, unless you're specifically doing it to bait a push from a weaker hand. If you think you have the best hand (you probably should), you should be putting in a big raise there for value. Don't let the straight off the hook cheaply. If you're truly worried about a bigger boat, then don't reopen the betting with a tiny little raise that is only going to give you minimal value from worse hands, yet cause you immensly difficult decisions based on the fact that now you've put yourself in a spot where you've under represented your hand, and managed to keep the pot tiny relative to the stack sizes (up to the river), and now you find yourself facing a big bet relative to the tiny pot you should have been building.

I guess what I'm saying is that this "tough" river decision could and should have been avoided by play on previous streets...
  • Ha! He had 99 didn't he!?!?!

/g2
  • Thanks for the responses.

Limping for sets is profitable on Party at this level. I've only played 2200 hands at $100NL and I am running at 21 ptBB/100. A combination of running hot, finding donkeys, and getting paid off on good hands.

On the turn when I had the boat I was hoping villain would still pay to draw.

My river raise was to get value from the only hand I thought villain was playing to - a straight. I couldn't see any other hand the way he played it. When he pushed, I thought "sucker" and called. I believe there are enough donkeys to push with a straight here. I was so confused when he showed JJ.
  • Yeah, that's like the worst played top set w/turn paired board ever.

/g2
  • Yep...there's nothing you can do about that one. That's the essence of poker and sometimes there are just set up hands that yu can't get away from. Even if the guy had pocket 10's and the flop came 8 9 4....there is no way that you're going to be able to lay your pocket 8's down. That's just the way it goes sometimes and you just have to make sure that you don't get bitter and then go on tilt. To give you are more extreme example...I once saw someone flop quad A's and lose to a Royal Flush!!!! How ridiculous is that??? Can anyone here say that they would lay down quad A's??? Exactly. That's poker.
  • actyper wrote: »
    I'd have to physically see his hand before I fold here.

Coudln't have put it better.