What is my next move?

Late in a tourney. 45 players to the money. Currently just over average stack. No read on the players left to act behind me, which are the ones I am worried about.

PokerStars Game #10699767393: Tournament #53512356, $20+$2 Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (300/600) - 2007/06/30 - 16:37:31 (ET)
Table '53512356 27' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: cdnmoose07 (13080 in chips)
Seat 2: bigshod (21410 in chips)
Seat 3: Brezi26 (36622 in chips)
Seat 4: brunton (13742 in chips)
Seat 5: Flatlus (17295 in chips)
Seat 6: paok1 (14932 in chips)
Seat 8: kimble83 (6625 in chips)
Seat 9: stilbury (3038 in chips)
cdnmoose07: posts the ante 50
bigshod: posts the ante 50
Brezi26: posts the ante 50
brunton: posts the ante 50
Flatlus: posts the ante 50
paok1: posts the ante 50
kimble83: posts the ante 50
stilbury: posts the ante 50
kimble83: posts small blind 300
stilbury: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to cdnmoose07 [Ac Qc]
cdnmoose07: raises 1000 to 1600
bigshod: folds
Brezi26: folds
brunton: folds
Flatlus: calls 1600
paok1: calls 1600
kimble83: folds
stilbury: raises 1388 to 2988 and is all-in

Moose?

Comments

• I call here. If I feel like gambling I push here, but I don't think that's the best move. Your OOP if I read it right and with 2 callers I think someone has a hand like 9 9 10 10 or JJ or maybe the pusher has grabbed that. I call and hope to check it down to get one more out of the way.

If the flop come 2 5 7 rainbow and you get action you know to get the hell out.
  • I think I hate calling. Given the size of the small stacks raise I hate folding. Pretty sure I shove which screams huge hand and will likely make many pairs fold of the bigger stacks. Unless they are really slow playing QQ to AA you will be ok, they may even fold AK given they need to call a huge reraise to stay in.

If they fold and the small chipper has you dominated you are still in ok shape odds wise (except vs AA which oh well - if he has AA good chance noone else has a hand that will call you anyways for all your chips).

Not a super fun situation but I am having a really hard time thinking of a flop you are very happy with that gets action post flop if you call. If 3 rags flop (good chance given the call call all in reraise action preflop) then you are in a really frustrating spot.

Shove!
  • I don't like pushing because you're risking too much IMO. If 1 of them did slowplay a high PP then you're likely losing an extra 10 000 & eliminated (compared to calling).

I don't like folding because the reraise is too little, too much in there already.

Call, if someone did slowplay a high PP then they'll reraise, you fold & only lose an extra 1500 instead of 10 000 & elimination if you pushed. I like AcidJoe's logic.
  • I tend to agree that there is a good chance one of the two callers has a mid pair type hand, one which you would love to see fold preflop, and one which may very well fold preflop if you shove. If however you call, a hand like 99 or 10 10 may opt to shove after you preflop and then what? Fold I guess?

The problem with calling is that you then hope noone else reraises after you, and if both do call you are now out of position with an all in and no sidepot with AQ hoping for a QQx or a flush on a flop (when you will likely get little post flop action), otherwise you are basically check folding.

I think calling here is basically giving up when you have the first opportunity to drive out hands by shoving and isolating the small chipper. If you are going to go with that approach then just fold to the all in as bad as that seems.
  • I'd jam all day.
  • I'd ask Watts why but I think his answer would be word for word what Monteroy said. I'll post what I did tomorrow.
  • Ya very unlikely that unknowns calling your raise have anything they can call a push with and you fold out lots of mid pairs and other hands you want out to isolate the shortstack.
  • 3200 in dead money is yummy when you push.
  • shove... this drives out mid pairs and with all that dead money in the pot isolating the short stack is what you want.

calling here is really bad imo because then if someone behind has a hand like 99 or TT he can shove to isolate and you would be forced to fold
  • Push to isolate the all in player
  • cdnmoose07: calls 1388

Ok, as AcidJoe said, I called hoping it would go call call.

Flatlus: raises 14257 to 17245 and is all-in
    paok1: calls 13282 and is all-in

Oops. No it didn't. Now what is my next move?
  • I'm going to fold here
  • Pretty easy fold IMO
  • insta fold
  • Kind of a crazy spot here for sure.

Doing some quick math here you have roughly 10K left with about 38K in the pot. About 6K of it is in a side pot that you are not eligible to win. So you can win 32K with a call of 10K. A little better than 3-1.

I can't see either of the 2 players behind you holding AA KK or AK and definitely not QQ when they flat called you pre-flop. Both likely are holding medium pairs and Flatlus may even be making a move with something like AJ here and trying to isolate with his push. Kind of crazy aggro play here.

I would think based on these assumptions you are really in good shape here against either of the big stacks hands and better yet you are getting great money on your call. Also if you take this down you are in the drivers seat as a huge stack.

I would lean toward calling here.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    I can't see either of the 2 players behind you holding AA KK or AK and definitely not QQ when they flat called you pre-flop.
    I can see it :D
    I flatcall with AA and AK sometimes hoping to re pop it ???
    bad play right?
  • I can see it :D
    I flatcall with AA and AK sometimes hoping to re pop it ???
    bad play right?

I would limp AA or KK once in a blue moon if the table dynamic warrants it. Meaning lots of aggression behind you still to act. The first caller here is in the cutoff so this doesn't make sense here. He is running out of people to raise it up.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    I would limp AA or KK once in a blue moon if the table dynamic warrants it. Meaning lots of aggression behind you still to act. The first caller here is in the cutoff so this doesn't make sense here. He is running out of people to raise it up.
    doh didn't see that

ok now I'm gonna guess....
    I think Flatus has: JJ-77
    I think paokl has: JJ-99, KQs, AJ, TJs

maybe 22-55 cuz both are donks :D
  • doh didn't see that

ok now I'm gonna guess....
    I think Flatus has: JJ-77
    I think paokl has: JJ-99, KQs, AJ, TJs

maybe 22-55 cuz both are donks :D

Flatus: JJ-99, KQs, AJ, TJs
    paokl: JJ-77

that's the right order I think :D
  • Let's look at it from the pusher's perspective. You make a small raise from EP position which doesn't really say much it could be a cautious move with a middling hand, or a monster tempter bet. The LP better has an OK but not steller hand, but has position and decides to flat call to see a flop. Unfortunately (or fortunately) button decides to flat call as well, with a probably even more mediocre hand since he also has position and a tempting pot to join the parade. Micro stack in the blinds pushes, which doesn't mean much given his stack size. The UTG raisers now just flat calls (indicating he didn't have a monster) and MP now feels fairly confident with his 66-TT and feels like driving out the button and more than likely folding out UTG as well with his push to get some dead money into the pot even if he's racing with the allin guy.

At least that's how I see it. Calling off your stack here seems bad, but it's pretty tough to give them credit for a bigger hand here. I grudgingly call getting 3:1, but more than likely would have pushed instead.
  • I would have pushed rather than called the small stack but since you called....

Flatus must think you're weak since you flat called the small stacks push, So he pushes with his flat calling hand hoping to isolate the dead money. ....

Paoak1 maybe senses that Flatus can push here to isolate and decides to get in on the action. ...

The only hands you're not getting odds to play against are,

AA, KK, QQ, AKs, AKo

What's the chance of that?

Most of the time you should *not* flat call with high pairs and AKo, what you don't want is a multi-way pot. AKs and AQs play well in multi-way pots. AKo and AKs like to all in preflop.

Everything else you're way more than 1 to 3 to win against.