Vince Van Patten Vs. Norman Chad

I know Vince Van Patten may be the worst poker commentator of all time, but I want to get everyones opinion on Norman Chad from the 2004 WSOP.

Comments

• Frankly I watch it for the poker not for the commentary.

WSOP commentary sucks, especially after watching the expert commentary by Howard on the Live Turing Stone event.
  • I think Norman Chad annoys me the most. Same ol' comments, about his 3rd marriage, or how young the kid is, gets old and tired really fast... every comment from him has to be a witty one liner
  • I could not agree with you more ice. Every 2004 WSOP espisode I watch, Norman Chad enoys me a little more.

The WSOP should really invest in some quality commentators.
  • Imagine if they put VVP and Norman Chad together for a poker broadcast! :banghead: lol
  • I cant imagine how horrible it would be!

The weak anouncing really takes away from the quality poker being played.
  • Does VVP's dad have a stake in the WPT? It's the only logical reason for his continued employment. Even the guy I saw on Fox is better, and he's a complete putz!
  • On a side note the Bravo series with celebrities had some terrible poker while Phil Gordon's commentary was actually interesting.
  • He actually takes some of the enjoyment out of it, he is so cocky and critical. It's almost as bad as Pierre McGuire announcing hockey on TSN :banghead:
  • I think that his critisms were due to the fact he gave most them leasons before the shows. From what I gathered he actually spent a fair amount of time with some of them.

I do agree that he is pretty cocky though. I lost a lot of respect for Phil when he was being a dick to Moneymaker a while back at a final table. I didn't see it but did read an article about it. Can't remember all the details though.
  • I must apologize to VVP. After watching the first episodes of this year's WSOP on TSN this weekend, I have to say that Chad is EXTREMELY irritating. Like an ex-wife trying to get her alimony a week in advance. Okay, maybe not THAT bad, but not good.
  • sweetjimmi wrote:
    ... I lost a lot of respect for Phil when he was being a dick to Moneymaker a while back at a final table. I didn't see it but did read an article about it. Can't remember all the details though.

I saw that episode. Phil Gordon got frustrated because Moneymaker got mixed up three-way in a couple of pots that he was contesting with someone else. Nothing really bad though. Over all Gordon is quite intense but not disrespectful of the opponents. There's much worse then him.
    If I recall correctly Moneymaker even said "I should of kept my nose out of it!"
    I believe that was the WPT Shooting Stars Event Final Table.
  • Maybe I should learn that everything you read is not always true.

On side note, Norman Chad is a Chad. It is a true toss up between the VVP and Norman for the worst. Norman there is a difference between a set and trips. Quit using them interchangably.

Damit!

LOL
  • Hey guys,

Although I find those 2 commentators to be very annoying... Any of you seen that 'ultimate poker showdown' or whatever it's called, on UPN? I saw it last Saturday and the dude on there really pisses me off... He's the guy who tangoed with Men the Master in the stud tournament, that actor guy who thinks he's a good player. I can't stand him. Jenny (I think that's her name) was good tho.

Cheers,

Guts

PS. I dislike Chad more than VVP... Although some of the stuff he said about Phil H was pretty good ;)
  • I just wanted to say that I really disagree with you guys on Norman Chad. I frequently find him to be hilarious. What's so annoying about him? I don't see it.

Vince Van Patten, on the other hand, is quite terrible. I heard someone else say this, but he's basically a cheerleader. Everything that anyone does successfully is a brilliant play. He is not insightful, nor is he funny (as I find Chad to be).

Howard Lederer was pretty great on the broadcast I saw him do also.
  • Norman Chad was fine during the Main Event coverage but I oppion at the time was based on his coverage of the other events. He made many bad observations and quesioned plays/players when he didn't seem to have any idea on what was going on. For some reason he seemed much better through the Main Event. I loved it when he would bash the winey babies such as Arieh(sp?) for being plain old ass0000s.

On another note, why didn't they keep us in the loop regarding blinds and chip stacks. I was constantly trying to figure out what the blinds were. A lot of the time they wouldn't even show the pot size so it made it very difficult.

Anyways, I thought the overall coverage was great with room for improvement.
  • Paul3221 wrote:
    It's almost as bad as Pierre McGuire announcing hockey on TSN :banghead:

Well said!! I sent an e-mail to TSN complaining about Pierre McGuire during the World Cup of Hockey. :canada: Wooot-woo!! The guy gives a 10 minute description on a play that took about 3 seconds, while yelling the whole time! Yeah Pierre, I'm sure thats exactly what the player was thinking as he made that pass!! ;)

Good to hear someone shares in my observation.

OUT!