Brantford Spring Classic trip report

I finished my report, it can be found here at Dave's site:

http://canadianpoker.com/

Just click on "Devin's Poker Blog"

Comments

• I want a novelty cheque too :D

Very NIce!!!
  • Thanks for taking the time to write the report Devo.
  • Very nice report Devo.
    I had watched a bit while on dinner break from my 2/5 game.
    Didn't win as much as you though.....

Congrats
  • all_aces wrote: »
    I finished my report, which will eventually be linked to Dave's site. In the meantime though, it can be found here:

http://devinarmstrong.livejournal.com/

Great work Devo. Saw your name on the board today and was wondering if that was you. However, I did assume it was you as some of the BCC regulars were musing about which Devon it was -- I promptly said PNL Devo!

Cheers
    Lou
  • way to go devooooooo, ur doing good in ur poker career right now, Ahem lou why are you not telling us good stories like devo? if i have you as a coach will i be able to tell good win stories?

philliivey
  • nice result; is this amount of pre-flop action common in most of the tournaments you play in? I typically try to make most of my chips post flop... is this an incorrect strategy?
  • Thanks guys!

Jah, your comment made me wonder, so I went back and had a look...

Preflop action:

1: I called a raise to 75 chips and saw a flop
    2: I limped and saw a flop
    3: I limped and saw a flop
    4: I flat called a 3XBB raise and saw a flop
    5: I tripled the blinds and saw a flop
    6: I tripled the blinds and saw a flop
    7: I limped and saw a flop
    8: I pushed all-in preflop after a substantial preflop raise before me
    9: I limped and saw a flop
    10: I called a preflop raise with nothing, called a flop bet with nothing, etc... floating him to (try to) take it on the river.

After this, my stack is generally between 6Xbb and 10XBB, so the only move preflop is all-in, particularly if there has already been a raise. In general, I think it's profitable to play flops, turns, and rivers if your stack will allow it, and after looking at the hands, that's exactly what I did. I would only move in preflop cold if I was at 6XBB or less. If I had more, I would only move in preflop if there were already a lot of chips (raise and or re-raise) in the pot before it got to me.

Whew! You had me worried...
  • thanks for the clarification; reading the report (only once I must admit), there seemed to be a lot of hands where you were all-in pre-flop. Maybe it was more in the middle of the tournament when your chip count had some wild swings and you had a low M and no choice. You definitely had some lucky breaks but you need luck most of the time to finish in the money in these tournaments.
  • 3 suckouts in two days... not absurd by any means, but still fortunate, yes.

If you'd like to discuss any hands that you find questionable, just cut and paste here and I'll have a look.
  • I would like you to go through a discussion on floating. When you do it. What kind of opponent. Does the board matter. Do your cards matter etc etc.

Thanks.
  • Congrats on doing the commentary for the upcoming Degree tourney! Oh yeah, congrats on the 14k too.
    What is "colour" commentary?
  • I don't know but during the free WSOP online broadcasts, the commentators were betting flipaments on what colour the flop would be.
  • all_aces wrote: »
    3 suckouts in two days... not absurd by any means, but still fortunate, yes.

If you'd like to discuss any hands that you find questionable, just cut and paste here and I'll have a look.

Okay here is one.
    Hand seven:

MP limper, I limp in LP with AcQc. (Weak, I know. I have a couple of things I need to work on in my game. One is open-raising all-in in LP with air after it's been folded to me, when I have 6XBB or less. I don't do it enough. The other is the circumstance I'm describing in this hand: showing too great a willingness to limp along and be all friendly and see a flop with starting cards that should be raised in position. I have no problem open-raising, or raising after a limper or two with hands like 99, etc., but high unpaired cards and me do not go together and I don't know why.)

I don't see occasionally limping AQs a being too bad if you're not short stacked and if you think you play better postflop than your opponents.

Yes you're giving up some preflop equity but a high suited one gap plays so well multway that with some limpers it's not too bad an error to limp in with it and encourage a multiway hand, say 25% of the time?
  • I kept an eye on the short stacks at the two tables (there were a few, some very desperate) and eventually was able to determine that I didn't really need to play any hands. There was no way I was going to be able to take advantage of my opponent's tight bubble play, because the guy to my right was already doing that with impunity. Again, I don't fault him for playing this way... quite the opposite... he was doing what he was supposed to be doing, taking advantage of the strange rules for the qualifying days of this tournament.

My 40K or so would be enough to get me on to the next day. Furthermore, all players who made the next day would arrive with the stacks they had when they qualified, but the blinds would start much lower. We would return to play starting at 200/400 a25. So there really wasn't a pressing need to double up and accumulate chips... my 40K would give me 100 BB's to start the next day. Plenty of chips.

We finally got down to ten players at around 4:30am. My stack was at 38,150. We verified and bagged the chips, and I left to find a hotel room. The next day would start at noon, so I wouldn't have a lot of time to get the room, sleep, eat, shower, etc., but I wanted to get as much as I could. I know for a fact that some players who qualified with me late Friday night didn't sleep at all before the noon start on Saturday.

The girl at the hotel was more than a little surprised that someone wanted to get a room at 5:00am, with checkout at 11...

Is this the correct strategy if you want to *win* the next day?

Now looks like a wonderful time to try to pick up chips if everyone is afraid to bubble out and the maniac is raising any 2?
  • With the blinds going down the next day, I think it was fine to not play and wait for someone else to bubble.

If the maniac is raising with any 2, do you really need to chance a bustout at this point when you will have 100BB to start the next day.

Now if the blinds were not to decrease, that would definitely change things.
  • Yup. 100XBB to start day two is more than enough for me. No need to take any risks given the structure... it's almost like satellite strategy.