Comments

• When I opened your post I wasn't sure if the title was referring to your avatar or the article ;-)
  • I think its important for many of us to note that the players were also charged in this case.....

Hmmmmmmmmm
  • When I opened your post I wasn't sure if the title was referring to your avatar or the article ;-)

hahaha, yeah I can see how that could be misleading! :)
  • Goose wrote: »
    hahaha, yeah I can see how that could be misleading! :)

honestly i actually did the same thing
  • See http://www.pokerhelper.com/news/2007/10/woe-canada-says-poker-negative for an update on the 57 players arrested in May:

... the Court offered the players, but not the dealers or operators, three options: Plead not guilty and fight the charges, plead guilty and have the judge consider a discharge, or take a positive lifestyles course from the Salvation Army and have the charges stayed.

For those who opt to take the Salvation Army’s seven-week Positive Lifestyles Diversion program, which includes two one-on-one counseling sessions and five group sessions, the Court would stay their charges upon completion of the program.

The program focuses on life skills such as dealing with stress and loss, with the thinking being that people who commit minor crimes usually do so because of outside factors influencing their life.

Goose wrote: »
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    See http://www.pokerhelper.com/news/2007/10/woe-canada-says-poker-negative for an update on the 57 players arrested in May:

... the Court offered the players, but not the dealers or operators, three options: Plead not guilty and fight the charges, plead guilty and have the judge consider a discharge, or take a positive lifestyles course from the Salvation Army and have the charges stayed.

For those who opt to take the Salvation Army’s seven-week Positive Lifestyles Diversion program, which includes two one-on-one counseling sessions and five group sessions, the Court would stay their charges upon completion of the program.

The program focuses on life skills such as dealing with stress and loss, with the thinking being that people who commit minor crimes usually do so because of outside factors influencing their life.

That judge is an idiot. but if I was charged I'd go to the BS course and get the charges stayed. I didn't realize playing poker was a crime that you would need help for. If the Law Enforcement would quit trying to influence my life it would be a hell of a lot better.
  • Seriously, what can we do to fight this on behalf of our fellow players? Do we know which judge ruled this way in this case?

I hate the idea that you have to admit wrongdoing in a case when you did nothing wrong.
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    That judge is an idiot. but if I was charged I'd go to the BS course and get the charges stayed. I didn't realize playing poker was a crime that you would need help for. If the Law Enforcement would quit trying to influence my life it would be a hell of a lot better.

Joe you need to understand that the game of poker is a morally apprehensive vocation. It's easily the worst feared crime currently in this country and unless we take action and put an end to this nasty epidemic then this country that we love will eventually be wrought with murders, rapists, drug dealers and poker players.
  • zunni74 wrote: »
    I hate the idea that you have to admit wrongdoing in a case when you did nothing wrong.
    They did do something wrong - they broke the law (even though most of us think it's a stupid law). The judge in this case did the right thing - enforced the law. Don't get on the judge - try to get the law changed (good luck with that :( ).
  • beanie42 wrote: »
    They did do something wrong - they broke the law (even though most of us think it's a stupid law). The judge in this case did the right thing - enforced the law. Don't get on the judge - try to get the law changed (good luck with that :( ).

What is the crime the players are charged with in this case? Is it something that makes the judgement make sense?
    What is the crime the players are charged with in this case? Is it something that makes the judgement make sense?

Being in an unlawful gaming house.
    Seriously, what can we do to fight this on behalf of our fellow players?
    I think the best thing to do is to contact your MPP to allow licensing of poker events like other provinces. Only if enough poker players let the politicians know what they want is there hope of having a legal exception for poker in Ontario by the next election. Otherwise, ordinary people will keep playing at the illegal clubs and will keep getting fined, convicted or forced to go into counselling. :redface:
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    Hey Joe, we could all go to the same course and have a sit'n'go on our lunch break... :)
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I think the best thing to do is to contact your MPP to allow licensing of poker events like other provinces. Only if enough poker players let the politicians know what they want is there hope of having a legal exception for poker in Ontario by the next election. Otherwise, ordinary people will keep playing at the illegal clubs and will keep getting fined, convicted or forced to go into counselling. :redface:

I think this is a fantastic idea... It seems to me that organization is the key, organizing people, getting the word out and working as a group (individual is nice but easily ignored) to try to get the legislation changed. Are there any groups currently working towards this end?
  • Profits make game illegal

Poker tournaments must be licensed in Manitoba, and only charities and [bold]religious groups[/bold] can profit from the events.

Rather than bingo ... poker ...