X SNG = Y Ring Game

What level of SNG is comparable to a specific betting level of a ring game.

I'm aware that in most cases i'm comparing a NL SNG vs. a Limit Ring game.

Essentially what do you consider comparable levels of play to an equal bankstack.

ie. is a $10+1 SNG similar in total wagering to a 0.25/0.50 ring game?

Comments

• Different beasts.

I'm current playing a lot of .50/$1 limit and I'd compare it to a 500 play money Sit and Go ;)
  • good question, but tough to answer. I think that it depends on the style of play. I think I am actually better at tournament play (last night not being a good example of that), than rounds.

I've actually all but quit playing limit poker, just because I can't afford high enough limits to get good players, and scare off chasers. ;)

I would say that the level of play at a small blind ($.25 or $.50) NL game (Absolute or Empire), is about even with a $5 or $10 SNG.
  • good question, but tough to answer.

Seven pomegranates equals two alligators. Lord's truth.

It's impossible to answer. Play the game you feel comfortable at.
    RULE IT! Then move up to the next game you think is scary but not
    very scary.

Repeat as necessary.

Bill me $0.02
  • I agree with the prof. It is really to difficult to find enough simillarities in the two games to make them comparible.
  • The two are of course comparable in strictly monetary ways.

The two can be compared just in terms of buy-in but a better criteria for comparison might be a good player's expectation

If we assume that a skilled player can earn ~1BB/hr in a ring game and ~25-35% ROI in a NL SNG, then this translates as follows:

$10+1 SNG earns aprox $3-4/tourney

which is roughly equal to a 2-4 limit game online in terms of hourly wage

Another important factor though is your Standard deviation per hour (or per tourney) between the two different games

As rough and ready estimates, most good players will have a SD/tourney somewhere in the neighborhood of net 2nd place profits in the game size that they are playing.

For a $11 SNG, this means a SD of about $19/tourney

this is probably more comparable with the SD of a $.5-1 or $1-2 limit game

This seems accurate also when you consider typical bankroll recommendations. For limit play 300 Big Bets is the usual recommendation and for SNG play, 30 buy-ins is the usual recommendation.

For $11 SNGs this means a bankroll of $330 which is comparable to a $.50-1 limit game.

In a sense, SNG play gives more bang for your buck than a typical limit game because of the increased profit potential on a smaller bankroll.

As others have said though, it is hard to compare the two for a variety of other reasons (average skill of opposition, etc...) but these comparisons that I have given may be of some interest nonetheless

Regards
    Brad S