Comments from a hand last night.

I'm looking for a little feedback on how I played this hand, specifically my bet on the turn. Even though it worked out, was it a bad play? I don't have the hand history so I'll be doing this from memory...

Party Poker $1/$2 Limit

Dealt to me 98o in the Big Blind.

Four people call the $1 bet, SB folds and check to see the flop..

Flop: 4 T 5 rainbow Pot : $4.50

Now in first position, I check all check behind me. (I would have folded to any bet here)

Turn : 7 Pot : $4.50

Here's my thinking. Either, the flop has missed everyone, or someone's slowplaying a Monster. I have a 1 in 5 chance of making my straight (and it's the nuts if either the 6 or J falls.) so if I bet $2 I need two callers to get the right odds. A raise from one player would likely get me to fold, and there's the off chance that everyone will fold outright. I'm also thinking that other players will have a hard time putting me on the straight if I hit it, so I may get extra bets on the river if I hit.

I bet $2. Was this a mistake?

I get two callers (no raise)

River: 6!! (no flush possible, I have the nuts!) Pot : $10.50

I hestitate for a moment, trying to send out a false tell that that 6 made me nervous (because now, which is good news for me, a lone 3 or 8 also makes a straight) and bet $2.

The first player folds and the only other player in the hands raises back to me! Bwhahaha! My trap worked! I;m postive he has an 8 (with the worse case being a split pot) and I re-raise back.

The player caps it(?!), I call and he turns over 88 for the 8-high straight. I take $26.50

thinking back on it I think the player with the 8's should have bet on the flop to at least see if his 8's were good. (esp, since he was on the button) His first raise was understandable because he thought I wanted what I wanted him to think, but the cap was just plainly a bad call on his part.

What would you have done differently?

Comments

• It seems good to me; you got a free flop and a free turn, the bet after the turn to me was a good bet. I think you played that hand great.

The guy with the 8's if anything should have raised on the turn bet to make sure the callers really want to stay but I don't see any error with the way you played it. ;)
  • What would you have done differently?

On the turn, I would check with the intention of folding. Don't make yourself pay for your own draw, and the pot, number of opponents, number of betting rounds remaining, and number of cards to come do *not* justify calling a bet on the turn even with a reasonable draw. This is a draw where you can't even *call* a bet, so betting out youself isn't good either. As many "I hate low-limit" players know, there's no such thing as fold equity in low-limit. (Have you ever heard someone belly-ache the following: "You can't get anyone out by betting.")

On the other hand, don't take this idea too far. If I was in *last* position in this example, I'd probably bet any two cards if it was checked around to me again on the turn. I may very well *check* a draw.

On the river, I would raise quickly instead of trying to give out a false tell. Reason: I don't want to give my opponent time to think and realize that his hand might not be good.

ScottyZ