Bristol Street IX - RESULTS!

When the chips hit the table, 21 players were dealt in, each looking to claim their share of a prize pot worth...

TENS OF DOLLARS!

After the rebuy period ended, the prizes would be paid out as $120, $70, $39, $26 and $13. Would "Kelso" be able to fold enough hands to repeat as Champion? Would the Bristol Street Classic finally crown it's first two-time Champion? Would the might of the Clarica contingent claim the title, or would one of the fresh faces of the pokerforum.ca group claim their first win after stpboy placed 2nd in his previous tournament? Only four and a half hours, and 26,000 chips would tell.

As as been the case with the most recent tournaments, play seemed to be tight with better decisions being made in the majority of cases.

Stars of previous tournaments were quickly removed from the competition early. The defending Champion of Bristol Street VIII, "Kelso" was eliminated third, Steve "All-In", winner of the inaugural "Jour de Poker" was out 5th, while previous champions, Anthony "Quickfingers", Amanda "Easy" C. and tournament host Rob "Knave/Zithal" were all eliminated in positions 15, 14 and 11.

Previously placing second, stpboy was out in 10th, with two more pokerforum.ca hopeful, "jackle1" and Mark eliminated just before the final table merged. Seats were re-drawn and the final table was assembled.

FINAL TABLE

Seat 1: Chris "Zorro" T. - 2,400 chips
Seat 2: "Slippery" Pete Aultman - 6,900 chips
Seat 3: Andy "Scarface" Oja - 4,400 chips
Seat 4: Mike "Siswanto" - 3,600 chips
Seat 5: Tye "8-Ball" Zinger - 1,600 chips
Seat 6: "Princess" Lisa Hagen - 800 chips
Seat 7: Dave "Brava" Selberg - 7,300 chips

In the mix, four players were from the Clarica contingent, two claimed residency in Bristol Street facilities, and one was both a pokerforum.ca member and previous Clarica co-op student. Clarica is producing it's fair share of poker experts these days. Of the finalists, two were former champions; Tye (Bristol Street Bounty Hunt) and Dave S. (Bristol Street III)

Play began with one and a half minutes left in the 200-400 level, putting both Tye and Lisa on extremely short stacks.

7th Place

HAND 1: Tye "8-Ball" Zinger moved all-in in mid position with 98h, only to be called by Andy in the Big Blind with K8o. The flop came 3 Q 9, given Tye middle pair and the lead. The dealer dropped a harmless card on the turn and Tye caught his error that he did not burn a card. The dealer burned this card then turned over, what else, a King! A harmless four fell on the river, eliminating Tye in 7th place.

6th Place

HAND 3: The blinds rose to 300-600 and Lisa found that 3/4's of her stack were now making up the Big Blind. Dave raised to 1,200 pre-flop with QTo and Lisa (getting 8-1 on her call!!) turned over a dominated 6Tc. The board came 3 3 7 J 2, helping no one, eliminating Lisa, with much chagrin, on the bubble.

This was Lisa's second bubble finish in a row and, trust me, she's looking for blood now. Watch out!

5th Place ($13)

HAND 11: By this point the blinds were at 400-800 and Andy found himself down to the felt on the Big Blind with few chips life. Mike raised all-in pre-flop. Action was folded to Andy who went into the tank for awhile, eventually mucking his hand. Mike claimed KK while Andy claimed he laid down 10's.

HAND 12: On the next hand, with Andy in the small blind, Dave raised to 1,600 pre-flop and Andy called with the Big Blind and others folding. The Board came 3 5 6 and Dave moved all-in. Once again, Andy went into the tank and finally decided he was too pot committed at this point to fold so he called and turned over JQo, giving him Q-high with two overpairs. Dave turned over AKd making Dave the favorite in the hand. A 9 and 3 came on the turn and river and Big Slick held up, eliminating Andy in 5th place for a $13 prize pot.

4th Place ($26)

HAND 14 : Chris, UTG calls 800 and action is checked to the BB, Dave who also checks. The flop comes 2 7 6 and both players check. The turn brings a 4 and Dave bets, Chris calls. The river shows a 2 and Dave goes all-in. Chris then realized he should have never been in the hand and folds even though he had already committed a large portion of his stack to the pot.

HAND 15 : With Chris now the BB, he went all-in pre-flop against the only player still in the hand, Dave on the Small Blind. Chris turned over Q6s while Dave had K6o. The board comes 2 8 T 2 6, giving both players two pair with Dave's King kicker taking the pot, eliminating Chris in 4th place for $26

3rd Place ($39)

Over the next couple hands it appeared that the action could go on all night once we hit heads up as Dave and Peter each had 10,000+ chips while Mike made up the small stack with only a few thousand to his name. Then the KEY HAND of the tournament was played...

HAND 20: Dave, in the Big Blind sees 66 dealt to him, while Pete takes a look at KQo. Action is raised to the BB who calls and the flop comes 2 T J, missing Brava, but giving Pete the doubled-ended straight draw. Dave checked, then Pete checked. A 9 fell on the turn giving Pete the nut straight, and when Dave checked, Pete bet back 2,000 chips. With three overcards on the board, we assume Dave put Pete on a bluff because he called the 2,000 bet drawing dead. The worst card for Dave then appeared on the river, another 6 giving Dave a set.

Dave "slowplayed" the set (I'll assume to trap Peter), and checked the river. With the nut straight, Peter bet another 2,000 at the pot and Dave went into the tank. After a minute, Dave responded by raising all-in and, even though Dave had Pete covered, Pete gladly called the all-in bet.

Pete took a pot estimated at 20,000 chips (roughly 4/5th of the chips on the Board), and Dave was now crippled with only a few thousand to his name.

HAND 21: On the very next hand, in the small blind, Mike folded and Brava raised to 1,200 which Pete called. The flop came 6 Q 4, giving Peter top pair, but it was Brava going all-in on a bluff which Pete called. A Jack on the turn gave Dave the doubled-ended straight draw, but the 2 on the river washed Dave away in 3rd place for $39. From chip leader and 50%+ of the chips to nothing in two hands demonstrates the incredible way fortunes can change in this game.

The Blinds increased to 500-1000 and we were down to the final two players...

HEADS UP!

"Slippery" Pete : 24,400 chips
Mike "Siswanto" : 1,600 chips

With a 15 to 1 chip lead, Mike had his work cut out for him but all he needed to do was double up three times to be even with the chip leader.

HAND 22 : Mike moved all-in with a hand that held and doubled up to 3,200 chips. Two to go!

FINAL HAND : HAND 25

Pete : JJ
Mike : Q8

Board : T 7 A 3 8

Going all-in pre-flop, Mike ran into a strong heads up hand and, while he made a pair of 8's on the river, the Jack's took the game, first place, and $120 giving "Slippery" Pete Aultman the title of "Bristol Street Classic IX Champion"!

for his efforts, Mike received 2nd place and $70.

All in all, the blinds rose at a respectable rate giving player good play throughout the tournament. A good time was had by all and the management would like to extend it's congradulations to our most recent champion, "Slippery" Pete!!

Congrats also go out to "Sugarbum" who won $70 in a 7 player elimination side-game which started once the first table collapsed.

Offical rankings are below...

1st : "Slippery" Pete A. ($120) - 11:37pm
2nd : Mike "Siswanto" S. ($70) - 11:37pm
3rd : Dave "Brava" S. ($39) - 11:31pm
4th : Chris "Zorro" T. ($26) - 11:23pm
5th : Andy "Scarface" O. ($13) - 11:10pm
6th : "Princess" Lisa H. - 10:54pm
7th : Tye "8-Ball" Z. - 10:48pm
8th : John "jackle1" - 10:41pm
9th : Mark "?" - 10:37pm
10th : Shannon "stpboy" - 10:29pm
11th : "The Knave" Rob "Zithal" L. - 9:42pm
12th : Bill "B.S." S. - 9:21pm
13th : Ryan "?" - 9:13pm
13th : Amanda "Easy" C. - 9:13pm
13th : Anthony "Quickfingers" R. - 9:13pm
16th : Jay "Zymin" - 9:06pm
17th : Steve "All-In" S. - 8:59pm
18th : Jeff "Sugarbum" - 8:56pm
19th : Matt "Kelso" L. - 8:55pm
20th : Tyson "Redington" - 8:49pm
21st : "The Incredible Hulk" Dave B. - 8:19pm

Comments

• And I can't say enough about how it was run.
    Great Job, had a great time, even though I busted out early.

BTW, forget pocket rockets, 7/8 offsiut is a GREAT hand!

I was also the dealer who forget to burn before the turn, sorry bout that...

Redington
  • For myself ("B.S.") I was playing well. Making "the right plays at the right time". Unfortunately the hand I lost the majority of my stack on was because I refused to listen to that inner voice. I had been delt AKc, the flop showed KQX (and I believe with the turn there were 2 clubs on the board) and I knew I had Anthony beat. From the start I had him beat.

What I refused to listen to was that voice telling me that "Princess" had ME beat. When the cards were turned I did in fact have Anthony beat and, true to that voice of mine, Princess had me beat. Sitting down at the next hand with my all but gone stack was mearly a formality.

Lesson learned. Next game that voice will be given it's proper respect.

SkittlePoker ... a.k.a. B.S.