Is this true

Is it true that the odds of winning the lottery are worse than being killed by lightning?

Comments

• joshua wrote: »
    Is it true that the odds of winning the lottery are worse than being killed by lightning?
    Is post #3 where the spam shows up? No offence if not......
  • Ask google. Why ask a poker forum?

/g2
  • g2 wrote: »
    Ask google. Why ask a poker forum?

/g2

Clearly it is because winning at poker is directly related to luck, like the good luck associated with getting hit by lightning, and the horrible luck associated with winning the lottery.

So why not ask a poker forum?
    :D
  • wahoo!! the above was post number 100!! Perfect... now I can start spamming.. as no-one will suspect a hundred-poster of spamming. :D
  • We like to refer to it as cpf buck whoring :)

/g2
  • As pointed out by one of the "resident professionals"
  • Yup :) I just have no intention of ever cashing them in. Well, maybe when I have as many as sloth.

/g2
  • joshua wrote: »

The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math
  • But then you always get the little shits like my buddies parents. In high school many many many moons ago, his parents won $1 Million, and bought him a car. A few years later, don't they win again! The second time was $3.5 Million or so.

Some people have all the luck.
  • I like how they kept playing after winning $1000000. It worked once, so why not keep playing......
  • No, even if we just consider the awarding of large jackpots. In 1996, 1,136 people won $1 million or more playing North American lotteries. An additional 4,520 won $100,000 or more. By contrast, 91 people were killed by lightning.
  • raxi wrote: »
    No, even if we just consider the awarding of large jackpots. In 1996, 1,136 people won $1 million or more playing North American lotteries. An additional 4,520 won $100,000 or more. By contrast, 91 people were killed by lightning.

Your math is a little off though. You are assuming that everyone only bought one ticket. I doubt that is true.
  • Also... when considering the odds of winning the lottery.. is it fair to compare the odds of winning any of the lotteries over a whole year, against getting hit by lightening AND dying?

When really there are two problems... shouldn't we just take the odds of winning any SPECIFIC lottery, since there are about a billion different ones, and nobody could play them all!

.. AND we should take the number of people who are HIT by lightning, not just the ones killed, as people survive a hit by lightning quite often.
  • yes that is true there’s no second prize in a lightning strike but in a lottery, you win lesser amounts of money by coming close to the winning numbers. In many games, odds of 1 in 5 or 1 in 4 are not uncommon. Lotteries award over $50 million in prizes in North America every day. Lightning isn’t nearly that productive