Cash No-Limit hand Discussion

Playing 3-6 No-limit at the rock yesterday, picked up AQ off suit in Mid to late position. Seat 3 limps in 6 bucks, Fold,Fold seat 6 calls I raise 30 bucks, everyone else folds then seat 3 pushes all in for 280 . Where did that come from ? I had about 270 infront of me, I read him for a medium pocket pair and would have to draw against his made hand. I decided to fold and wait for a bigger hand to play back. Should I have called or was letting go of the 30 bucks the better safe play..... Thanks

Comments

• You wouldn't have been happy if you called and saw his hand.
    Good fold.
  • Fold.

If you are *very* confident in your read of a middle pocket pair (without being there, I have no idea how you would reach this conclusion), you call here of course. There is enough dead money in the pot already (about $70-$80) to justify taking just short of a 50-50 shot for ~$250 more. You are not "drawing against a made hand" in a meaningful way if you do actually turn out to be up against 22-JJ.

This is a cash game, not a tournament, so EV is all that matters unless you happen to be playing beyond your bankroll. Also, whether a play is "safe" or not has little meaning in NL cash games (again, unless your bankroll is insufficient) compared to whether or not the play is +EV.

Needless to say, your opponent having a pair JJ or below here seems to be a pretty strange read to me. Is there something specific you had seen before that suggested to you that this particular opponent would play such a hand in this way?

ScottyZ
  • Fold. I probably even know the guy who did it, and he had aces or kings.

What hand could he possibly be doing this with that you have beat? AJ or worse not happening so your even money or less. If you factor in how many times on average you are dominated here (possibly a 90% dog) this fold is one of the easier ones.

Mike
  • FOLD!

good decision. Don't dwell on it though, bad for you psyche.