Internet Home page

Okay computer guys;

My home page when I start up IE is some funky site that I can't get rid of.

I've tried the "tools", internet options, change the web address and then apply, OK, etc.

It won't change?

How do I change the home page? it's driving me nuts! It's been there for about 4 months and I want to change.

Comments

• Either you've got a toolbar installed that keeps setting it, or you've got some spyware.

Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and uninstall anything like Yahoo Toolbar, Google Toolbar, etc that you don't use.

If you still can't set it after that, try a spyware killer like Spybot.

Oh, and switch to Firefox. IE is a piece of crap.

/g2
  • K..
    no toolbar things.. A bunch of stuff that I don't what it is?

I don't know if this helps. It was a website I made a year ago that was my default then and then cancelled the site. It was for the hockey team I coached?

Now it comes up all the time..

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • YES

I owe you Greg

Thanks
    ME
  • Your invoice is in the mail.

/g2
  • g2 wrote: »
    Oh, and switch to Firefox. IE is a piece of crap.

Best advice EVER on the internet.
  • For that matter switch to the Ubuntu desktop, a free version of Linux with Firefox and a ton of other shit included, it's a sweet package and you'll never need another POS Microsoft software again!
  • Now you guys are a little hard on Billy don't you think.... This really is the same argument people use for switching to a MAC OS, that Microsoft products, ie IE and XP are a bunch of crap. I know I will probably get blasted (please do it gently) for sticking up for Microsoft, but IE is not a piece of ***. It is hugely successful and other web browsers, firefox, opera, etc while always having a place in a "techies" or "pseudo techies" heart, will not likely gain significant portion of the market, especially in the corporate world. The reason why people see significant security issues with IE and to a lesser extent with XP is that the virus and spyware writers, (the kids that supply me with a significant portion of my income, thanks guys:)) target the mainstream, where they can get the biggest bang for their efforts. Firefox is not more secure nor is it faster, numerous trials have been done to disprove these myths.... Now don't get me wrong, I use both IE and Firefox, but really don't see a significant advantage one way or the other... You kids!!! lol...
  • This is one of my favourite articles recently. An excerpt:
    Another of the big holes in Windows is Internet Explorer. IE itself is not a bad browser, but the way it's been implemented and used is problematic. It's not only the web browser, it's also used to render a lot of the user interface. Secondly, Microsoft's model for dynamic content, ActiveX, is a security nightmare. The way ActiveX works is to download a normal Windows executable program - in geekspeak, a "native binary" - from the remote server, and then run it on the local machine with full local privileges. In other words, the stuff that you download from the Internet effectively becomes part of your installation of Windows, even if only temporarily. This sort of thing makes vandals' and security crackers' faces light up with delight and fills security consultants with the screaming heebie-jeebies.
    IE is only "hugely successful" because it comes bundled with Winblows... err Windows. Also, I don't think 31.8% of internet users are "techies". See here.

/g2
  • By the way, for the original OP's question. I use AdAware in my business almost everyday... Try the free version here, it works very well to eliminate spyware. the main difference between the free and pay version is the pay version has a "resident" component to prevent spyware from getting on your system while the free version doesn't. It is an on demand scanner that you have to run after the fact to hopefully remove the offending spyware.

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5
  • g2 wrote: »
    This is one of my favourite articles recently. An excerpt:

IE is only "hugely successful" because it comes bundled with Winblows... err Windows. Also, I don't think 31.8% of internet users are "techies". See here.

/g2
    Well we could argue this all day.. And one Rock arguing with another on the relative merits of Firefox vs IE is kinda like arguing Omaha vs Stud.... it's really a personal preference... Have a look here for lots of articles disputing common misconceptions of web browsers. Keep in mind we can both find articles both ways, and lots of them. Which browser to use or operating system for that matter, is not CLEAR cut decision nor is there an obvious winner. That web page that you point me doesn't take into account the 1000's perhaps millions of PC's that get Firefox installed on them by the teenagers in the family, where the parents don't even know what it is... lol... I see this everyday..... Please don't get defensive, I am NOT picking on anyone using other products, but don't think it's an obvious choice.... Believe me I see security issues with Firefox as well, just not as many, because there aren't as many users...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

and to refute...

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic44405.html

Not so simple... The internet is a wide open place, everyone is an expert...
  • LOL, never thought I would be disagreeing with my captain. This is kinda fun :)

That Firefox Myths page is a joke, as the refutal shows.

/g2