Sniffer Software

Hi Everyone
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on a good tutorial or reference for using sniffer software. I've read a small section written in Vorhaus's book Killer Poker but that isn't enough and the section was small and wasn't that intensive. I'm just looking to broaden my knowledge base on this aspect of online poker. Personally, I find it to be a necessary evil of sorts but I understand that it needs to be done to level the playing field. I've only been single tabling ring games but I want to multi table so I figure this is a necesary step. I'm particualry interested in any material that covers the exploitation of other players using sniffer software. There is probably a game theoretic model which plays optimally against players who depend heavily on sniffer software. Any specific information on data mining would be helpful as well. Thanks forumers.

Comments

• I don't entirely know what you even mean here with using sniffer software to beat others using sniffer software, but it feels like you are falling into the trap of over analysis in terms of what you need to do to play and win, as you will be chasing sniffers and acting on what you believe to be sniffing (whatever sniffing means) when a lot of the time those assumptions will be flawed.

One time I came back to a computer to see a guy going nuts about how his hand was great when he raises preflop and what the hell was I doing thinking in my BB when he raises like that. Went on for 15+ lines. I told him the truth, I was afk in the bathroom.
  • I don't mean to be rude but that was a useless post. I asked for information on sniffer software, not your assumed criticism of my game. Is this what poker forums have been reduced to? Somone posting for greater knowledge of something and being instantly antagonized. Maybe i'm over reacting.
  • "I don't mean to be rude but that was a useless post."

Yes...you clearly mean to be rude.
  • You are overreacting. I truly have no idea what you mean by a sniffer program. If you mean a heads up display with pokertracker those are tools that are very useful for multi tabling though I am not sure what patterns you hope to find in others or exploit (which again I think would often be based on faulty assumptions).

If you are talking about some kind of see the hole card software then I assume you are a spammmer or someone who will not understand why a piece of software that in theory could make millions likely will not be sold for fifty bucks.

Seriously, your original post needs some decoding before an answer can be made.

All the best with the sniffing.
  • I do mean to be rude and OP,that was a useless post
  • Are you talking about data mining with poker tracker or not??

It's allowed on Full Tilt...but not on some other sites...Your question isn't clear.
  • Yes. I do mean poker tracker.

I'm sorry I threw people off by using a specific reference to poker software as sniffer software. Perhaps the reference is not as commonly used as I thought and that was my mistake.

In an attempt to revive this thread for what its worth, I will elaborate further on my thoughts.

I play ring games online everyday and I usually play single table or maybe two, depending how tired I am from coming back from work. After logging on an average of 2 hours a day at various poker sites, I quickly noticed that I would see the same players in the same ring games night after night. I can deduce two things from this. First, it is that these players can be considered winning players(most likely), hence they have a good understanding of the game and are fundamentally sound. Second, it is that no matter how much I may try to avoid these tight agressive players, which in most cases they are, I will have to tango with them eventually. I would say a large proportion of my winnings in ring games(live or online), I win pots off of either mediocre players making bad plays, or average to good players who tilt for one reason or another. And off the pure-bread donkeys of course.
    But, my altered philosophy in poker recently has been not to shy away from the better tables at the table. Part of that has to do with the development of my game and my willingness and an increased confidence in my ability to play against good players. *Please don't make this last sentence the focal point of the thread, this is not my way of trying to tell everyone how good I am*

With that in consideration, I know that players who multi-table, by nature, have to be very pattern dependent. And it is difficult, at least from my experience with multi-tabling, to make plays which require acute and abstract reads to pull off. Basically, what I'm saying is that because these players are multi-tabling and playing a style heavily dependent on re-occuring betting patters, that a player who only plays single table but still possesses the same access to the players' playing habits will have an advantage in a single scenario where they meet. It is my understanding that the players who succeed at multi-tabling at a particular level of ring game, make the most profit from playing a style which is most likely to beat the style played by the majority of the players at that limit. <---This thought is what has motivated me to think about this topic on a deeper level. From this interpretation of these players, I feel I can exploit these "regulars" by understanding what betting patterns are wired into their habits as the no-brainer plays. A vague example that I can provide is that a turn call and a small value bet as a bluff may get a particular player off his/her hand on a frequent to semi-frequent basis. This is just one simplistic example of a sub-optimal play that I wouldn't use on a regular basis against most players but a play I can make on a decent-to-good players. Comments from online players with experience multi-tabling and with poker tracker would be highly appreciated.
  • I use poker tracker and Poker Ace HUD. Again, you are trying to derive a use out of these packages which while theoretically possible and potentially +EV from a purely mathematical perspective is frankly quite subject to a lot of errors in assumptions.

Go more with the Keep it Simple and Stupid method. AT the start particularly use Poker Tracker with a heads up display software (which is pretty essential for your needs) to have a database on the players you play the most. You can customize which stats are showing and that information can help you make changes to your play that are quite +EV.

A simple example. You have J 8 suited on the button and the table folds to you. You see the BB is an extremely tight passive rock who only plays about 5-7% of flops and has no aggression. Here it is an easy raise with frankly any two cards as he will nearly always fold.

Now say the BB is an extremely loose passive player who sees 60% of flops and will never fold his BB. Raising with jack high here is probably not worth it since you need to hit the flop to win as he is unlikely to ever go away.

Other holdem examples are I have folded KK in NL when a person who only raises/reraises preflop 1% of the time or less and is otherwise extremely passive reraises someone else preflop. They have aces.

Also if there is a chronic blind stealer on my button, I will randomly 3 bet continuation bet/reraise any flop with any two cards and it tends to work well.

In Omaha it is useful in seeing how passive a player is, and I can usually tell when a person has AAxx, and also I will have a good idea who to check raise bluff against post flop (ie loose aggressives who always continuation bet).

Keep in mind none of these examples require my opponents to have what you call sniffer software or not. I think that is where you tended to confuse me. Tracker and Poker Ace HUD will by their information gice you quite a bit of opponents style which is what matters.

With regards to datamining, I think all sites have pretty much removed the ability to save watched only hands to your hard drive which is needed to add to your database. Party used to allow this for a ong time, I don't think Stars ever has.

My advice to you would be this:

Buy poker tracker (or do a PSO promotion to get it)
    Buy Poker Ace HUD

Keep things very very simple. Don't look for complicated patterns in opponents.

Play 1000ish hands at the stakes you are playing and accumulate data, then adjust how you want the heads up display to show stats and start adjusting play to fit opponents and track your first 20ish plays like that (don't worry if you lose a little in the process)
  • jchoi01 wrote: »
    Basically, what I'm saying is that because these players are multi-tabling and playing a style heavily dependent on re-occuring betting patters, that a player who only plays single table but still possesses the same access to the players' playing habits will have an advantage in a single scenario where they meet. It is my understanding that the players who succeed at multi-tabling at a particular level of ring game, make the most profit from playing a style which is most likely to beat the style played by the majority of the players at that limit.

While multi-tablers do rely a lot on patterns, they do not usually play a single style for all the players. PT helps show you what type of player you are against so you can adapt your game to each player. Basically, PT substitutes for your memory. You might be able to take advantage of this a couple times, but after that any decent player will peg you as tricky, and more than likely will use this against you (in a very painful way).

Don't try to get too fancy or to find a "silver bullet" to take advantage of the better players. If it was that easy, it would have been done already. Stick to your game and if you're good enough you'll beat them. Remember that PT doesn't necessarily make you a better player, it simply helps your memory in situations where you can't normally (like multi-tabling). Don't give it too much credit - it's only a tool - you're still playing the player, and in this case you're describing a better player. Feed on the fish - don't aggravate the sharks...

Good luck...
  • beanie42 wrote: »
    Don't try to get too fancy or to find a "silver bullet" to take advantage of the better players. If it was that easy, it would have been done already. Stick to your game and if you're good enough you'll beat them. .....Feed on the fish - don't aggravate the sharks...Good luck...

You took the words right out of my mouth.

As an average or below average player, if you are hoping a piece of software is going to give you the edge over the better players... think again. Player styles are only part of the puzzle.

Elle

P.s. if you take acception to being called "average or below average" re-read the description you give of your playing abilities. Nowhere do you mention skill.
  • What are you talking about? Poker is all luck. Like blackjack. You should go read a poker book. I recommend How To Win and Piss Everyone Off At The Same Time by Jamie Gold. Its solid.
  • jchoi01 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Poker is all luck. Like blackjack. You should go read a poker book. I recommend How To Win and Piss Everyone Off At The Same Time by Jamie Gold. Its solid.
    not really
    it's make correct decision.
    so the other player got lucky on the flop, you should fold your big hand.
    but i know what your saying. i have took my share of bad beat. but i have never give bad beat, unless is KK vs AA allin preflop.
  • The best weapon against very basic, weak sarcasm is to take what the person said seriously and respond with a smile in a serious manner.

That is when it is done with intent.
  • This thread is officially dead.