Nintendo Wii ~ Best games for kids

OK...so I've made the purchase and I know the sports package that comes with it although fun may not keep my kids attention for long (they are 7 and 8 yrs old). This will be a reward for them doing so well in school this year and I would like to add one cool game with the unit for them...sooooo what do people think the best game is considering their age?

Comments

• For kids, there are two games that spring to mind...

Warioware - (gamespot rating 9.2/10) is a collection of mini-games. All cartoony with kiddie humour, but also great for adults. It's like 1000 games in one cartridge, designed for ADHD kids (the average game lasts, I kid you not, 3-5 seconds). It makes great use of the remote / wii abilities. Although it's only single-player at first, once you "beat" the game, it opens up the multiplayer aspect, which is SUPER fun. Zithal, Westside, 8ball and I were up at Bristol until about 4 a.m. playing it one night.

Rayman Ravin Rabbids: (8.0/10 gamespot) - Another mini-game collection, though a little less ADHD. Again, great use of the wii-mote, and will get their little heart rates up on the very first mission (run baby!) I have this game, so you can borrow it if you wanna try it out first. Basically, you're kidnapped by freaky looking evil bunnies, and they make you compete in gladiator style games. Fun, but doesn't have much replay value - multiplayer is available and cool though.

Super Monkey Ball: (8.3/10 gamespot) - Another mini-game collection, I'm not terribly fond of this one, but some people like it. You play a monkey, and have to do stuff like twist the remote to move him in a ball a la labryinth type games, or other stuff.. it's meh.

Other than that... there are sports games that are supposed to be good (Madden football / Tiger woods), but may be a little too difficult for (cough cough me cough) kids. Couple that with the Virtual Console where you can download classic games like the Mario Brothers series (most of them now), and the Legend of Zelda games which are always classic.

Oh, and BTW... did I mention that GUITAR HERO IS COMING TO THE WII!?!??!

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »

Mark

I love it. There is no excitement in you post at all. Sounds like I... my kids are going to have a lot of fun.
    For kids, there are two games that spring to mind...

Warioware - (gamespot rating 9.2/10)
    Rayman Ravin Rabbids: (8.0/10 gamespot) I have this game, so you can borrow it if you wanna try it out first.

Mark

Thanks Mark, much appreciated and if you don;t mind when the time comes I'd love to borrow it and try it. I'll check out Warioware, sounds right up their alley!

and Guitar Hero, are you kidding me, SAWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!

Pretty sure it'll GH 3, due out sometime next year.

As for now, Super Paper Mario and Mario Galaxy will both be out for the summer.

Eric, what games do your kids play on Xbox? I'm sure Nintendo has something similar.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/index.html?nav-top

EDIT: Super Paper Mario is out now!
  • MY youngest (when he's not in a choke hold by Mark) loves the Mario series on his gameboy so I was thinking Mario Galaxy or Paper Mario, they both love fightinggames (they have a couple Godzilla ones on the XBox) and my oldest just loves the shooter games, he kicks my ass in Medal of Honour deathmatch...he is also into Fable so I think he'd love Zelda....that is if Jo and I stop bowling long enough to let them play. I also noticed TMNT and Spiderman 3 are due out soon, keeping an eye on those...and I checked out Warioware as Mark said and I think it'd be fun for everyone!!!!! That first pick will be tough and I can see it might turn into a 3 pack with Mario, Wario, and Zelda?
  • I'm sure you could save $10 by buying Zelda used at EBgames.
  • Don't get TMNT... looks HORRIBLE....

Mark
  • Cheers for the Super Paper Mario tip. I didnt know it was out this Monday so I pre-ordered it online.
  • Hi everyone, Just signed up to the site and, go figure, my first post it about the new Nintendo Wii. I love it. Wario Ware is awesome, so is Rayman. Need for speed is very cool - driving with your controller sideways is a bit weird at first, but the game rocks and you get used to it. I have to say that tennis is a riot, especially when you have two players who really get into it. If anyone out there doesn't have a Wii, I suggest you get one NOW!:)
  • Funny enough that I posted it here....

The Wii prostate exam and Pleasuring women games look interesting lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnsfcB1m3lk&mode=related&search=
  • stpboy wrote: »
    Funny enough that I posted it here....

The Wii prostate exam and Pleasuring women games look interesting lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnsfcB1m3lk&mode=related&search=

That is awsome....thanks for sharing.
  • I didn't see the link, but since this was bumped I thought I'd ask you all what you'd suggest for the completely NON adhd 10 yr old girl.

To give you an example, she and I spent over a year playing Animal crossing on the gamecube and d.s. and when I used to manage to talk her into something like Simpson's hit and run...she got out of her car and explored the backyards during the timed challenges...lol.

So I'm looking for long winded and not particularly violent quest-type games..does that happen for the Wii? To this point it is an underused white box attatched to my second TV and is nowhere near replacing her game cube.
  • Rayman Raving Rabbits?
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    I didn't see the link, but since this was bumped I thought I'd ask you all what you'd suggest for the completely NON adhd 10 yr old girl.

To give you an example, she and I spent over a year playing Animal crossing on the gamecube and d.s. and when I used to manage to talk her into something like Simpson's hit and run...she got out of her car and explored the backyards during the timed challenges...lol.

So I'm looking for long winded and not particularly violent quest-type games..does that happen for the Wii? To this point it is an underused white box attatched to my second TV and is nowhere near replacing her game cube.

My niece (who is about the same age) loved Wario Smooth moves. She claimed she didn't like video games because they were too hard but played this to death; worth a rental at least.
  • Super Paper Mario may be appropriate...

I've only barely played it, but it is explore-heavy from what I understand. Also, she may enjoy The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess..... it's an action type game that requires upwards of 50-70 hours to complete. Cartoonish graphics, some violence, but against animated plants and monsters...

Mark
  • To comment on Mark's suggestions, both are fantastic games.

My 8 year old LOVED Zelda and finished in, what Mark, a couple months?

My 7 year old LOVES Super Paper Mario and is about 3/4 of the way through, if you can get past the 30 minute rediculously stupid intro it's a really fun game that has lasted months.

Animal Crossing is apparently coming for the Wii but no release date yet.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/816/816310p1.html
  • Oh.. and if they're totally compulsive...

"My Sims" is coming out relatively soon too... a game where you take your Mii character (or one you make I beileve), and basically live their life... pretty much the sims from PC games - HIGHLY addictive

Mark