Why Wal-Mart is the Devil

2»

Comments

• Wal Mart is very aware of how they are perceived though, and they often implement changes to their policies and practices to improve their public image. They have now become big contributors to local charities. Whenever you go into Wal Mart, they always have signage explaining their charitable works in the community, which are often vast, and they are trying to lead the charge in regards to “green” Business.

Quote from article in the record last week.

“The world's biggest retailer is driving the change, she said. Wal-Mart is now demanding all its suppliers go green, use less new material and recycle more, Pomfrey said. Suppliers and packaging companies are listening and changing.
    "When Wal-Mart talks, it's a big deal. It's going to change the way we think."”

I think the green policies are also driven by the growing trend in North American media to try to care more about our environment. So, while I understand the views of the anti Wall Mart people, it’s impossible to think that Wall Mart is ever going away, so pressuring them through input as customers, and community members, may be more effective than simply denying them your business.

But obviously, if you're going to start mountain climbing...DON'T go to Wal Mart for your ropes and climbing gear! ;)
  • I've been on both sides of organized labour during my working career, and both sides have valid arguments. What makes it difficult for both is the other side, pure and simple.

Walmart is THE LEADER in retailer, and carry alot of weight. Any supplier that wants to do business with them had better do more than just jump on board with their suggestions, they better damn well move at lightning speed to get it done too. Remember when RFID first came out? Wouldn't be as big as it is today without Walmart spearheading the charge and demanding all suppliers to perform to this new level. Same thing about going green. Walmart 'suggests' all suppliers to act on it, and believe me, they will very quickly, or risk not doing business with the giant. And that will shut them down in no time.

Is that too demanding or too impersonal? Maybe, but when you're the BIG FISH IN THE POND YOU MAKE THE RULES!
  • TiMSuM wrote: »
    No, TMMC is not part of CAW - though CAW members are sometimes there handing out information outside the parking lot.

Toyota has their own little internal club/union type thing, it's really just a little group likes to get together and put white powder up their noses. Or maybe that's Bud Automotive?
  • I think this is the single biggest hit to the NA car market and one of the main reasons why imports have surged in market share. Not only is quality down, but the cost of production is high and the difference seems to be more than the difference to ship an auto accross the ocean that is assembled in Asia.

No.

It has nothing to do with the Unions. The CAW and UAW have become pretty much irrelevant in the auto industry. Have you noticed the plant closings,cutbacks,downsizing and "way forward" annoncements in recent years? The NA companies have streamlined and outsourced production as much as the Japenese in the past decade. The unions have gone along with this,they had to. The union understands the importance of a competetive and profitable company is the key to keeping members jobs. The former Big 3 have employed the process of whipsawing at every availible opportunity, basically pitting one plant against another. The plant that makes the most concessions in regards to outsourcing,time off,breaks and manpower reductions gets the new production model,the other plant is shut down or "idied". Simple but effective.

Wages. The cost of hourly worker wages per each vehichle Ford produces is $1600. If Toyota is paying 5 or 6 less dollars per hour in hourly worker wages,there cost per vehicle is about $1300. Is the $300 being passed on to the consumer? No,It's going towards Toyota's profits.

Quality is down? Since when? Where are you getting your information from? Try a reputiable source like JD Power & associates quality index and TGW charts. With a little variance quality in all vehicles, NA,Japenese,Korean etc.. has been going up for 20 years now.

As for auto's assembled in Asia and shiped across the ocean..This is a tariff issue. It is heavily weighted in favour of the imports.

The single biggest financial problem the North American auto makers have is pensions. Billions are paid out yearly in pensions. The Japenese and others don't have this albatross yet, giving them a large competitive edge.