What do you do here? Opinions?

This is a hand one of my bar league players that I sent to Atlantic City for a WSOP circuit event was involved in and I would like some feedback or opinions on what you would do.

Information available: Blinds 50/100 .. Full Table... 2 players in the hand (Hero and Villian) Table Image (Hero is tight aggressive IMO) (Villian.. No read available) Stacks.. Hero 3900 Villian 4400

Hero UTG+1 and raises to 500 with QQ .. Villian UTG +2 flat calls and everyone else folds.

Flop K K 7 rainbow

Hero bets 1000 and Villian thinks for about a minute and flat calls.

Turn 2

Hero checks and Villian thinks for a minute and bets 1500 and Hero folds.

Opinions? I have one which I discussed with him when he got back to Toronto but would like some other thoughts.

Comments

• Villain AA or AK (edit... or KK, but very unlikely). Nothing else makes sense (other than a great/lucky play with any 2).

edit#2 - Villain miiiight also have JJ, but depending on the player, miiight lay that down on the flop after thinking for a minute.

/g2
  • g2 wrote: »
    Villain AA or AK (edit... or KK, but very unlikely). Nothing else makes sense (other than a great/lucky play with any 2).

/g2

g2.. maybe its just me but I have a hard time putting Villian on AA as I would think he might re-pop it to isolate the raiser given he still has 8 players behind him. Although flat calling and disguising his hand wouldn't be bad either. Unfortunately Hero lacks tournament experience of this kind and although I explained to him before leaving to pay attention to everything that happens at a table even when not in a hand so that he can identify how they are playing he didn't.
  • g2 wrote: »
    Villain AA or AK (edit... or KK, but very unlikely). Nothing else makes sense (other than a great/lucky play with any 2).

edit#2 - Villain miiiight also have JJ, but depending on the player, miiight lay that down on the flop after thinking for a minute.

/g2

I think this scenerio is closer to what villian had and JJ or 10 10 came to mind, on a paired board like that I wouldn't be to worried about Hero having a K if I was Villian, and see the bet as a continuation, my only worries would be with Hero having AA with that preflop wager. So with the check on the turn if I was Villian I would take it as weakness and bet the turn also.
  • Voodoo wrote: »
    Unfortunately Hero lacks tournament experience of this kind...
    Ah... if the Villain noticed that (kind of hard to miss, i'm guessing) it seriously opens up his range.

/g2
  • I think the most important piece of information is the table image of the Hero. Think about it from the Villian's side.

Hero made a 5xBB bet. Looks a little scared to me. Weak ace or a mid pair? I have Hero covered! Let's call in position and see what happens...

Flop KK7. Hero bets out.

Hmmm... would Hero make a pot sized bet with a K? Looks like a continuation bet. I'll make him think I have a strong hand by flat calling and seeing if he can fire again..

Turn 2. Hero checks.

There we go, Hero either has a monster or is weak. I'll bet out with a half pot sized bet, (which is what I'd do if I had a King, cause I think I'll take it down here)

Villan bet, Hero folds.

Depending on the quality of the Villian, as g2 said, he could have a very large range of hands if he noticed how weak the Hero is.

To me, it looks like a post-flop steal with a larger stack in position.

It's hard to tell with just one hand, but this Hero doesn't seem very TAG'y based on this play.
  • I completely agree with Zithal, except here:
    Zithal wrote: »
    I think the most important piece of information is the table image of the Hero. Think about it from the Villian's side.

Hero made a 5xBB bet. Looks a little scared to me. Weak ace or a mid pair? I have Hero covered! Let's call in position and see what happens...
    In my experience, betting that much pre-flop (other than when it is the standard raise in a cash game) indicates a strong ace (AQ-A10) or a medium to large pair (QQ-99)... all of which are easy hands to outplay postflop if they miss or an overcard comes IFFFF you have position. And that game plan worked perfectly here for the Villain.

/g2