Text Messaging

Is it possible to send text messages from a computer to a cell phone (Not using MSN)?

I heard someone mention a google program that had this capability?

Any one aware of a program that would serve this function??

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• http://toolbar.google.com/send/sms/index.php

Dunno if it works, just posting the link.

Might only work for US carriers.

/g2
  • I think you can do it through MSN if the person lists their cell

Mark
  • If the person's number is on rogers, you can use the rogers text message function from their website.

Just make sure you include who you are in the message because otherwise they wouldn't know.

http://www.shoprogers.com/wireless/sendpcs.asp?shopperID=EBMEWFG0G4QP8K3SMACFMKER0DBEDSL3
  • g2 wrote: »
    http://toolbar.google.com/send/sms/index.php

Dunno if it works, just posting the link.

Might only work for US carriers.

/g2

Greg - that is exactly what I am looking for!

But I require it for Canadian carriers! Any clue?
  • Thanks Wes - that is perfect - do Bell and Telus offer similar functions?
  • Dude why don't you just email them?

E-mail messaging allows you to receive emails using your wireless phone. Your e-mail address will be your 10-digit Rogers Wireless phone number followed by @pcs.rogers.com. Example: [area code + phone number]@pcs.rogers.com

I assume Telus and Bell would be similar.
  • Tom, allow me to introduce you to a good friend of mine and Wes'. His name is Google.

My friend found Bell and Telus.

/g2
    Tom, allow me to introduce you to a good friend of mine and Wes'. His name is Google.

Actually, I knew about the Rogers one because I've been using it for awhile ;)
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Actually, I knew about the Rogers one because I've been using it for awhile ;)
    Ah, but see Tom, Wes didn't deny that google is a mutual friend of ours.

/g2
    Ah, but see Tom, Wes didn't deny that google is a mutual friend of ours.

/g2

"For all you computer literal kids in 2006...go goggle..." - Jalen Rose
  • If you have a motorola phone, and have Motorola Tools 4.xx software, you just plug in your phone to the computer and can text from the keyboard. You can also upload anything songs, videos, pics etc. from your computer to cell phone as well as use your cell as a mobile modem for your laptop too. I just got the software and it is quite useful. The only thing you can't do is put games on your phone with it (well you can, but it's a complicated procedure to unlock Java Loader etc etc etc).
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    If you have a motorola phone, and have Motorola Tools 4.xx software, you just plug in your phone to the computer and can text from the keyboard. You can also upload anything songs, videos, pics etc. from your computer to cell phone as well as use your cell as a mobile modem for your laptop too. I just got the software and it is quite useful. The only thing you can't do is put games on your phone with it (well you can, but it's a complicated procedure to unlock Java Loader etc etc etc).
    I assume you need to purchase a special cable for hooking up your phone to the computer, right? $$???

/g2
  • Yup for about $80
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Yup for about $80
    Figured. Thanks.

/g2
  • Betcha it is about $8 bucks here:

monoprice.com
  • Sweet link... found something I was looking for for a long time. Dunno exactly what to look for for the Motorola cable, but I bet you're right... aka I agree! :D

/g2
  • HDMI cable

Monoprice.com $6 or less

Elsewhere $40 or more

Plus they take PayPal so no exchange fees.
  • Almost any USB cable works. I just use my Canon camera cable as the phone cable. The new Motorolas are compatible with the normal USB cable with the usual generic end. It even charges the phone through the USB cable.
    I bought the phone tools software off ebay though...direct download for $8.95. I put a nude photo of Carmen Electra as my screen temporarily....SWEEEEEET!!!