Duplicate Poker

Duplicate Poker is officially the weirdest thing I have ever played in my life... yet it's strangely appealing. For those of you who don't know what it is (I believe it just came on the scene recently with the new US online gaming legislation, but I could be wrong), it's basically a version of Texas Holdem that attempts to ELIMINATE ALL LUCK FROM THE GAME. You can't really suffer bad beats and a 2-7 offsuit can make you more money than pocket rockets. I'm just starting to get the dynamics down, but it basicly works like this.

Every table is linked to another table (or tables)- at this second table (or several other tables), the community cards are the same and the hole cards for every seat are the same. This means that you will have a doppleganger in your exact situation at other duplicate tables. You earn chips by making a higher profit or minimizing your losses compared to the other players in your seat. Also, your full bankroll is not available to bet; each player is given 1000 symbolic chips at the start of every hand. These are simply a measuring device for how much value you can get out of the hand. If you have more of these chips at the end of the hand than your doppleganger, you gain a certian proportion of chips with actual value. Then your chip count is reset to 1000 for the next hand. The systems used to distribute chips based on value gained above an opponent are convoluted and at this point I don't fully understand them, so I won't get into that.

Of course, even this system does not eliminate a luck factor. If your doppleganger is a total idiot, plays his 5-3 to the river (while you have wisely folded it) and makes a full house, you would lose big money. I'm sure it does cut down a decent bit on variance, but when this system turns a bit more mainstream, I don't think it'll be very easy to beat. Fish will not be draw to a system that rewards largely contemplative, mathematical play, and makes no good guarantee of return on even the most traditionally amazing hands. I have, however, managed to win a small amount of play chips in my first 15 minutes of play (ALL SKILL BABY :D ). Definately the weirdest poker variation I have ever played in my life. Takes some getting used to.

http://www.e-pokerusa.com/website/

Your guys' thoughts?

Comments

• playing 2-7 and what not is what razz is for...fuck this hold'em version of razz...Just my 2 cents :)
  • People seem to have enough trouble organizing a regular tournament ....
  • Sounds neat.. but I would want to ensure I had a good player as my double... see how they do vs. me.. learn from them.

Mark