Now I know how Men the Master feels...

Alright, scenario:
I'm in a $10K Guarantee $10+$1 buy-in tournament. I have around 2,800 chips; the average with around 300 left is 4,000, so I need to make a move soon. The blinds are 75/150.

I pick up 9c9d in mid position, it's folded to me, I raise it to 600, the button calls. The flop is Q22, two diamonds. I move the rest of my chips into a pot of about 1,500 so he doesn't have the odds to call with a draw. He calls with 7d6d!! Hits a diamond on the turn of course. I need a 2, 9 or diamond to take the pot, but it doesn't come for me. I'm done for.

I wasn't that mad about his play, but what he said afterwards:

"Are you blind, you missed the flop!! Why move all-in? I read you perfectly. What a bad play." You get the idea.

If this was live, I would've gave this kid a (bad) beat down. No respect what so ever.

Comments

• Very very sweet.

A veritable orgy of hand analysis posts. Hopefully this will overpower the recent vertiable orgy of bad beat posts.

GoooooOOOOO Hand Analysis!

Oh, wait a minute.

ScottyZ
  • I need to get mine in too... :(
  • *Backs away from Scotty slowly...*
  • Snoman wrote:
    *Backs away from Scotty slowly...*

KA-POOOOOW!

*ScottyZ detonates in a fiery explosion*

(You should have snipped the red wire first.) ;)

ScottyZ
  • Alright, scenario:
    I'm in a $10K Guarantee $10+$1 buy-in tournament. I have around 2,800 chips; the average with around 300 left is 4,000, so I need to make a move soon. The blinds are 75/150.

Do you really need to make a move 'soon'? Technically, you are not even shortstacked yet (10x BB).. I think you could wait for a better hand than 99.. and then you tossed your money into a situation where if the guy had a Q (very likely) you were dead... You werent' really pot committed after the preflop raise either..
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    KA-POOOOOW!

*ScottyZ detonates in a fiery explosion*

(You should have snipped the red wire first.) ;)

ScottyZ

Red wire... RED WIRE?!!?!?! They're all red!!! Oh wait...

*Removes 3-D glasses*
  • BBC Z wrote:
    Do you really need to make a move 'soon'? Technically, you are not even shortstacked yet (10x BB).. I think you could wait for a better hand than 99.. and then you tossed your money into a situation where if the guy had a Q (very likely) you were dead... You werent' really pot committed after the preflop raise either..

I was sure that if he had any face cards in his hand he would've re-raised me preflop. A level earlier he moved all-in to a raise with KTs and beat JJ. I wanted to take the pot right there rather than see more diamonds fall, took the chance that he didn't have a Q based on my read on him and was right. I mean he called with 7-high, I'd say that was the worse play between us. If I had folded I would've had half the average which wouldn't really help me in the next level I figured, that's why I made the move. Top 50 got paid.

But like I said, I'm more angry at what he said afterwards more than his play (although I wasn't impressed by that either). It was a spur of the moment post, and I'm over it now. :)
  • Welcome to the new world of poker, where a 4 flush with a weak kicker is worth calling an all in, fun ain't it :)
  • My reply was geared more towards the feeling that you needed to make a move soon.. It didn't seem like you did.