I've got quads....and action!

I drop 2 buy-ins last night on Supreme.

The table is totally insane and there is a big stack jamming at anything and everything. I hit absolutely nothing over 250 hands and can't even run a bluff because every hand is getting called down. Finally I leave the table before I lose my mind.

Pop on today and have a fun hand.

***** Hand 558346846 *****
0.05/0.10 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:14:25 PM
TH Mini 36 (Real /Cash Game )
Seat 1: elgoris (10.00)
Seat 2: mikmak3 (7.80)
Seat 3: Berlinco84 (12.75)
Seat 4: IJackit (9.65)
Seat 5: andppe (2.58 )

andppe post SB 0.05
elgoris post BB 0.10

** Deal **
elgoris [N/A, N/A]
mikmak3 [N/A, N/A]
Berlinco84 [N/A, N/A]
IJackit [Jh, Qd]
andppe [N/A, N/A]

*** Bet Round 1 ***
mikmak3 Call 0.10
Berlinco84 Fold
IJackit Call 0.10
andppe Call 0.10
elgoris Check

*** Flop(Board): *** : [Jc, 9s, Js]

*** Bet Round 2 ***
andppe Bet 0.10
elgoris Fold
mikmak3 Call 0.10
IJackit Raise to 0.30 <--Lets see if we can build this pot a little and not lose anyone
andppe Call 0.30
mikmak3 Call 0.30

*** Turn(Board): *** : [Jc, 9s, Js, Jd]

*** Bet Round 3 ***
andppe Check
mikmak3 Check
IJackit Check <---Maybe one of these idjuts is chasing a flush

*** River(Board): *** : [Jc, 9s, Js, Jd, 5s]

*** Bet Round 4 ***
andppe Bet 0.10
mikmak3 Raise to 0.50
IJackit Raise to 1.70
andppe All-in 2.18
mikmak3 Raise to 3.38
IJackit All-in 9.25
mikmak3 All-in 7.40 <---LOL I guess both of them are chasing flush/idjuts

*** Showdown *** : Rake: 0.91 Total Pot: 17.37

mikmak3 [8s, 2s] Flush to the jack Win :0.00
IJackit [Jh, Qd] Four of a kind, jacks Win :17.37
andppe [7s, As] Ace high flush Win :0.00

My tilt is gone :)

Comments

• That is the grossest thing I've ever seen... you should have only gotten paid by boats... and even then.. ugly

Mark
  • hmmmmmmmm I don't recall anywhere where it says chase the nut flush with 3 of a kind on board. nice hand.
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    hmmmmmmmm I don't recall anywhere where it says chase the nut flush with 3 of a kind on board. nice hand.

..or the 8 high flush for that matter...or moving all in on the river with 8 high flush after your raise has been re-raised and re-re-raised. rofl.
  • No boats?

I :h: Supreme.
  • I find this hand to be pretty badly played.
    cadillac wrote: »
    IJackit Raise to 0.30 <--Lets see if we can build this pot a little and not lose

Why are you encouraging people to chase flushes? You have a set. If the turn is a spade and not the J you are just throwing your money away.
    *** Turn(Board): *** : [Jc, 9s, Js, Jd]

*** Bet Round 3 ***
    andppe Check
    mikmak3 Check
    IJackit Check <---Maybe one of these idjuts is chasing a flush

This comment scares me. Can you not read boards? You should be assuming that someone has made a boat - any PP or 9 has a boat and PUMPING this pot. No one is going to put you on quads. You were lucky both players were complete morons and chasing a flush because realistically you shouldn't have made a single dime past this point.
    *** River(Board): *** : [Jc, 9s, Js, Jd, 5s]
    andppe Bet 0.10
    mikmak3 Raise to 0.50
    IJackit Raise to 1.70
    andppe All-in 2.18
    mikmak3 Raise to 3.38
    IJackit All-in 9.25
    mikmak3 All-in 7.40 <---LOL I guess both of them are chasing flush/idjuts

There you go with the flush comment again. Now any PP, 9 or 5 makes a boat. You need to recognize when you can stack someone. With his raise, mikmak is not going anywhere. You should have pushed at that point. mikmak has the biggest stack and you want his money. You could care less if andppe goes allin. At the very least your raise was stupid because it didn't leave enough room for andppe to go allin behind you and make a legal raise, allowing you to reopen the betting when it got back around to you. If mikmak had only smooth called the allin, you would have had no opportunity to go allin and you would have made a LOT less money.
  • moose wrote: »
    I find this hand to be pretty badly played.

Why are you encouraging people to chase flushes? You have a set. If the turn is a spade and not the J you are just throwing your money away.

If I am encouraging them to make a mistake I am not throwing my money away. I gave them poor odds while I was ahead. Marginal, but poor odds nonetheless. See the Fundamental Theorem of Poker.

moose wrote: »
    This comment scares me. Can you not read boards? You should be assuming that someone has made a boat - any PP or 9 has a boat and PUMPING this pot. No one is going to put you on quads. You were lucky both players were complete morons and chasing a flush because realistically you shouldn't have made a single dime past this point.

Thanks for you comment about my reading ability??? Both the flush draw and a full house are behind at this point. I have position and it was checked to me so my read is that a flush draw is the most likely holding here as a full house is most often going raise OOP.

You need to recognize when you can stack someone. With his raise, mikmak is not going anywhere. You should have pushed at that point. mikmak has the biggest stack and you want his money. You could care less if andppe goes allin. At the very least your raise was stupid because it didn't leave enough room for andppe to go allin behind you and make a legal raise, allowing you to reopen the betting when it got back around to you. If mikmak had only smooth called the allin, you would have had no opportunity to go allin and you would have made a LOT less money.

Finally a good point. You are right about the fact that the size of my raise here not leaving enough room for a legal re-raise
  • cadillac wrote: »

*** Bet Round 2 ***
    andppe Bet 0.10
    elgoris Fold
    mikmak3 Call 0.10
    IJackit Raise to 0.30 <--Lets see if we can build this pot a little and not lose anyone
    andppe Call 0.30
    mikmak3 Call 0.30

I make the pot $0.65 and you bump it $0.30 to $0.95. They only need $0.20, giving the first 5:1 on his money and the next guy 6:1. Exactly the right odds to call. Factor in a 3 way pot and you can include implied odds as well. Raise at least the pot here. Donks will still call.
    Thanks for you comment about my reading ability??? Both the flush draw and a full house are behind at this point. I have position and it was checked to me so my read is that a flush draw is the most likely holding here as a full house is most often going raise OOP.

You checked quads here. You don't think someone might check the nut FH? You played the entire hand as if your opponents could see your cards.
    You checked quads here. You don't think someone might check the nut FH?

Definately a possibility just not my read.

If I believe that the players in the hand are willing to get all-in after hitting flush on that board, which in fact was the case. Then why am I so wrong for letting them catch-up when I have the stone cold nuts? If they already have the nut FH we are still getting all-in on the river anyways.

I think that the line I took here is unorthadox but it was based on some of the play that I had seen at these tables. It also disguised my hand enough that I got paid.

Different lines for different games.

I also never asked for feedback or critique when I posted this hand. Almost all of the hands that I post do but not this one. You simply barged in and started berating my play. Worse yet you based your critique on the few comments I added that were in there more as a joke than my actual read on the play.

Maybe next time you can consider the context of the post before you start pontificating.
    This is obviously a cry for help. I'm just gonna go look up 'pontificating' first. I have an idea what it means though.

/g2
  • g2 wrote: »
    This is obviously a cry for help.
    come now. he was playing .05/.10nl. i'm not hearing any crying. each of us play that hand differently but each of us take it down. and we can still argue about who played what wrong and why...

see you at the freeroll in 25 mins.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    see you at the freeroll in 25 mins.
    Wish I could make it... but gotta hit the gym instead. It's Biggest Looooser season.

/g2
    Definately a possibility just not my read.

If I believe that the players in the hand are willing to get all-in after hitting flush on that board, which in fact was the case. Then why am I so wrong for letting them catch-up when I have the stone cold nuts? If they already have the nut FH we are still getting all-in on the river anyways.
    I also never asked for feedback or critique when I posted this hand. Almost all of the hands that I post do but not this one. You simply barged in and started berating my play. Worse yet you based your critique on the few comments I added that were in there more as a joke than my actual read on the play.

Because what you did on the flop is completely at odds with what you did on the turn. On the flop you raised with the intention of building a pot - when you should have been taking away their odds to draw. Then on the turn you give a free card, when you should be making them pay for their draw. As you say, you have the stone cold nuts. If they are drawing, you can make a bet of 20% of the pot that leaves them the odds to call on a flush draw. I will say it again - you played this hand as if they could see your cards. If the flush doesn't hit on the river, you don't make an extra cent on the hand by giving the free card.
    Maybe next time you can consider the context of the post before you start pontificating.

I'm sorry next time you post a hand please include the following disclaimer:

I am a results oriented person. I really like the result of this hand. I have no interest in improving my play because the result was great. If you say anything please kiss my ass and tell me how great the result was. In fact, I am so result oriented, I completely forget all the hands I played badly and lose and can only recall the ones which I won and I think I played great.
  • I like the word "pontificating"

Sounds very papal.

Mark
    Because what you did on the flop is completely at odds with what you did on the turn. On the flop you raised with the intention of building a pot - when you should have been taking away their odds to draw. Then on the turn you give a free card, when you should be making them pay for their draw. As you say, you have the stone cold nuts. If they are drawing, you can make a bet of 20% of the pot that leaves them the odds to call on a flush draw. I will say it again - you played this hand as if they could see your cards. If the flush doesn't hit on the river, you don't make an extra cent on the hand by giving the free card.

I guess I will spell it out again since you seem to lack both comprehension and the ability to let things go.

I believed that at least one of my opponents was chasing the flush and if he got there he would be fishy enough to pay off a large bet on the river. I had previously seen these players pay off large bets with bottom pair and even Ace high. He could also hold an over card and if he paired that on the river to give him a full house he would also pay off a large river bet. From what I had seen in previous hands they obviously were thinking on the first level. I decided to give someone opportunity to make a hand that they didn't want to lay down.

Now I could pot bet the turn and maybe earn another dollar but he may have also folded to the bet and given up the chase. Giving a free card could not hurt me but could earn me a lot more than just one bet. I realized this, weighed my options and decided that giving the free card was the option likely to make me the most money.

In a previous post in this thread I stated that my line was unorthodox but was based on my read. Maybe you missed this post or maybe you only read the parts that you could dispute.

I acknowledged the very valid point that you made in your original post in this thread. I Thank you for it.

You seem to be stuck on my original post and unless you can move along with the conversation I am done replying to you here.

As far as your nonsense about placing a disclaimer on my posts there is really only one part I agree with. Since reading things once seems difficult for you, I invite you to read it twice:

...please kiss my ass...
    ...please kiss my ass...

You are dismissed.

For those of you that liked my word:

pon·tif·i·cate(pn-tf-kt, -kt)
    intr.v. (-kt) pon·tif·i·cat·ed, pon·tif·i·cat·ing, pon·tif·i·cates
    - To express opinions or judgments in a dogmatic way.

dog·mat·ic (dôg-mtk, dg-)
    adj.
    - Characterized by an authoritative, arrogant assertion.
    I guess I will spell it out again since you seem to lack both comprehension and the ability to let things go.

You lack the ability to read and comprehend anything. First step to improving your play is to learn from your mistakes.

You defend yourself by quoting the Fundamental Theorem of Poker. Well congrats on reading the cover dude but it is obvious you have no idea how to apply it.
    I believed that at least one of my opponents was chasing the flush and if he got there he would be fishy enough to pay off a large bet on the river. I had previously seen these players pay off large bets with bottom pair and even Ace high. He could also hold an over card and if he paired that on the river to give him a full house he would also pay off a large river bet. From what I had seen in previous hands they obviously were thinking on the first level. I decided to give someone opportunity to make a hand that they didn't want to lay down.

If that was your read and you were applying the Fundamental Theorem of Poker correctly then you would have bet - giving them odds to draw to a flush, when you knew they were drawing dead. Obviously checking is costing you money because if the flush does not come then you don't make any more money on this hand.
    Now I could pot bet the turn and maybe earn another dollar but he may have also folded to the bet and given up the chase. Giving a free card could not hurt me but could earn me a lot more than just one bet. I realized this, weighed my options and decided that giving the free card was the option likely to make me the most money.

Again you have no idea what odds to give to protect against a flush draw by your crappy flop raise and no idea what odds to give when you want your opponents to chase a flush draw on the turn. I said 20%. Not a pot bet. Realistically you could have put them on a FH as well and boosted that to 25-30% of the pot.

Try reading the posts and next time take the stars out of your eyes when you hit quads.

I can't kiss your ass because your head is still stuck up it.