PStars Canadian Freerolls to the WSOP

Anyone taken a shot yet? Looks like a total crapshoot to me. 3000 players, turbo, top 428 get $, and top 100 get into Weekly Round 2 (where 1st is a WSOP package).

Then have been advertising this a lot on TV. Apparently anyone with a .net account also got entries into the freerolls, only requirement is that you have a Canadian address registered on the account.

They run 2 a day for 10 weeks - that is A LOT of Canadian players!

Anyone made it to round 2 yet?

Comments

• I'm trying the one out tonight at 6:30pm.

stpboy77
  • So is Drtyore....

6:30pm baby!

stp
  • How'd it go?

I tried one and ya it was a crapshoot, i'm gonna wait to see if less people are in the later tournies
  • I posted about this here:

http://pokerforum.ca/showthread.php?t=11990

Update:

I played on Saturday. 15 minute levels this time :) . There was roughly 1400 entries. I busted out 136th. Exactly on the bubble but I didn't really need the 9 bucks anyway.

Other than the final hand I got my money all-in with the best on 4 occasions and only won 2 of 4 confrontations. Fortunately I had a pretty nice stack and was able to absorb the losses.

One maniac at my starting table was playing about 50% of his hands and was ripe for the pickings. He bullied and bullied and managed to always make the right lay down at the right time or catch when he need to. It took me 90 hands but I finally stacked him.

Right after I stacked the maniac I got moved to another table where I was the chip leader. I was able to use my stack to rake a ton of pots and was really building it nicely when this really big stack got moved to my immediate left and became a huge pain in my ass. He ground into my lead and slowed me down considerably.

I have been thinking about my bust-out hand. The more I think about it the more comfortable I am with it.

Please comment:

Tony was the huge stack pain in my ass. He was playing everything and floating people all the way to the river if he had any live cards. If you pushed pre-flop he would call with any pair, any ace, any two broadway. It was sick basically. He didn't seem to want to re-raise pre-flop at all though.

PokerWyze seemed to be alot more competent. He was down to the felt in a hand against yours truly about 20 hands before this one. I put him all-in on the flop with TPTK and he had the nut flush draw. He got there on the river to stay alive and hit me for about 30% of my stack and he since then he had gone on a run by outplaying Tony. I would have killed for his seat!

Blinds are 600-1200 with 75 Ante

My raise was on the small side but Tony on my left was coming along on almost every raise that I made so I wanted to save some of my stack for the flop so I could push into him no matter what it was. I wasn't expecting PokerWize to come along as well even though he was getting a good price with position to boot.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.comFlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Plain Text)

SB (t7285)
    BB (t27615)
    UTG (t4250)
    UTG+1 (t14512)
    MP1 (t8495)
    Hero (t12885)
    CO (Tony Eskason) (t66546)
    Button (PokerWyze) (t23631)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with :ah :10c
    3 folds, Hero raises to t2500, CO (Tony Eskason) calls t2500, Button (PokerWyze) calls t2500, 2 folds.

Flop: (t8025) :8h , :jh , :2h (3 players)
    Hero bets t10310 (All-In), Tony Eskason folds, PokerWyze calls t10310.

Turn: (t28645) :2d (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t28645) :8d (2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: t28645

Results below:
    Hero has :ah :10c (two pair, eights and twos).
    PokerWyze has :ac :jc (two pair, jacks and eights).
    Outcome: PokerWyze wins t28645.

So I pick up a draw to the nuts and figure I might as well push with 2 left to act. I didn't expect a call but got one with TPTK and didn't hit my draw.

I figure that I have to pick a hand at some point with these two guys on my left. I had a good draw and some fold equity.

This has to be a +EV play right??

Tony went on to finish second for $4500. I guess he played his big stack well but I just found him to be more lucky than good. From Chat:

Cadillac123 said, "tony...did u steal my luckbox?"
    Tony Eskason said, "yep"

Good luck to all you guys. This tourney is for sure much softer than the Tuesday night freeroll!!!
  • I placed 67th on my 2nd try. I won't pretend that I didn't win a few coin flips (and then some) along the way!

Hope this donkey gets to team pokerstars canada!
  • I made a pretty sad showing. Out around 2000th place. Made a big raise on the button with AQs. SB called. Flop of A28 rainbow. SB bets small, I push, he calls, AK, IGHN.

Saw some ugly play early on. Twice I had small pairs and someone in early position pushed. I folded both times. People were trying to double up or bust within the first 2 rotations. Pushing with hands like K7, J9, etc.

I am probably going to wait a little bit and try the 9:30 hopefully when it isn't a full one (since the prizes are fixed and not based on entries).