New to Omaha; HH to evaluate please

Recent activity has got me into playing alot more Omaha PL than ever before. Finding that I'm not doing too badly at it right now, but it might be 'beginner's luck' for the most part.

Here's a hand that has me wondering if maybe I was being foolish or not, hard to tell. The primary villain has been trashing the whole table, and I was playing pretty tight aggressive.

0.25/0.50 Omaha (PL) - Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:52:25 PM
Table OH 7 (Real/Cash Game)
Seat 1: PolaManek1 (36.23)
Seat 2: Ginetto100 (40.62)
Seat 3: GoingGray (73.24)
Seat 4: mamuma (49.85)
Seat 5: appleG (40.00)
PolaManek1 post SB 0.25
Ginetto100 post BB 0.50
** Deal **
PolaManek1 [N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A]
Ginetto100 [N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A]
GoingGray [3c, Kh, Ah, 4h]
mamuma [N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A]
appleG [N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A]
*** Bet Round 1 ***
GoingGray Call 0.50
mamuma Call 0.50
appleG Raise to 1.50
PolaManek1 Fold
Ginetto100 Call 1.50
GoingGray Call 1.50
mamuma Call 1.50
*** Flop(Board): *** : [Ad, 2s, 5h]
*** Bet Round 2 ***
Ginetto100 Check
GoingGray Bet 2.50
mamuma Call 2.50
appleG Raise to 10.00
Ginetto100 Fold
GoingGray Raise to 27.00
mamuma Fold
appleG All-in 38.50
GoingGray Call 38.50
*** Turn(Board): *** : [Ad, 2s, 5h, 7c]
*** River(Board): *** : [Ad, 2s, 5h, 7c, 9s]
*** Showdown *** : Rake: 3.00 Total Pot: 82.75
GoingGray [3c, Kh, Ah, 4h] Straight to the five Win:82.75
appleG [10h, 10c, As, Ac] Three of a kind, aces Win:0.00

I know I won a nice pot, but I was wondering if I overplayed this hand. Again, I'm fairly new to Omaha, and looking for constructive criticism.
Thanks.

Comments

• Don't see anything obviously wrong with your play. He sure overplayed his set though. If I was him I would have just called your $2.50 bet looking to pair the board. After the flop, if he puts you on a made wheel then he is about a 2-1 dog. This is a typical example of why there is such a big variance in PLO, made hands vs big draws. I wouldn't have done what he did unless I also had the nut flush draw, then it would justify it, he then would have been almost a 2-1 fav.
  • I don't think you overplayed the hand, you just got your money in when you had the nuts.

And didn't get sucked out on.:)
  • Ya... I dont understand the question... Do you mean prelfop? cause as Johnnie said you had the nuts... it's kinda really hard to overplay the nuts.
  • Yes the nuts post flop, just thinking that a wheel straight in this game is not the best nut hand to have. I've had big boats sink on quads, and learning straights are not very good in this game at all. When I potted him, I was wondering if I had given him the right odds to call with
  • He had the odds to call your $2.50 bet, when it got to him there was like $12. in the pot. I don't understand him raising to $10. tho.
  • Besides a very marginal call preflop, hand played itself out...
  • I would have bet more post flop than your 2.50. In the end it didn't matter since you got all in at that point, which is good because you had the nuts there. With big draws present I usually try and get the max in with the "ahem" current nuts.
  • Like Wes said...

Preflop in MP it's probably a fold for me... you have AK which is nice and all, but the suited ace was also 3x in your hand, killing your own outs. Your best case scenario with a hand like that is to flop the wheel, which you did.

However, straights are VERY VERY dangerous in PLOM... in the right scenario, you can flop the nut straight, and be a 3:1 dog to lose the hand. It's a cruel cruel game.

Mark
  • Ya... I dont understand the question... Do you mean prelfop? cause as Johnnie said you had the nuts... it's kinda really hard to overplay the nuts.

When you make the straight in Omaha, it depends on the type of straight you've got (your two cards are inside, middle-outside, top end or idiot end) and the flop texture.

In AJ's case, he's got the two cards inside + a rainbow flop which means he'll liekly hold up against the draws.

There are instances in Omaha where the nut straight can't win on the flop and you need to be aware when they can happen.

I like the way you just played it fast AJ.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    I like the way you just played it fast AJ.

High praise indeed...Thanks BBC! Greatly appreciate your commentary.

As I said, I'm still a newbie at this PLO game, but I'm finding I'm liking it more and more all the time. Still having some trouble calculating outs and calling odds though, but I'll get it eventually. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well I am sure that Chris will challenge this as well, and again be incorrect, but in Omaha there are times were you have to fold the nuts. Omaha is a game of draws and more importantly redraws.

You have hit your str8 - but if he has the same straight with a 6,7 in his hand or the board two-paired or a set- he is freerolling against you.

At higher limits you should expect to be beat when that 7 comes. I would expect to be against a player with a wrap.

A nut str8 means nothing in Omaha without a redraw - and if you are being re-raised OOP with the nut str8 and no redraw you are usually correct to fold. You are likely being free rolled and are at best calling into a chopped pot with no chance to improve.

Once again Chris if you require me to provide page references - I will find that for you.

This hand DOES NOT play itself - this infact is probably one of the more difficult hands you will face! You used your discretion against this player because he was bullying the table - which may have lead to your call - but in absence of any other information, ceterus paribus, you fold in this situation.
  • Full Tilt Poker Game #1980822709: $100 Freeroll (14785633), Table 41 - 200/400 - Pot Limit Omaha

Seat 1: MiniMeee63 (13,290)
    Seat 2: Bad Nature (10,247),
    Seat 3: kleefelder (3,342)
    Seat 4: malergud (4,140),
    Seat 5: shoeshoe (38,745)
    Seat 6: enuffsaid33 (15,525)
    Seat 7: GumbyOTM (6,380)
    Seat 8: BigChrisEl (36,121)
    Seat 9: taykeitez (17,563)
    Bad Nature posts the small blind of 200
    kleefelder posts the big blind of 400
    The button is in seat #1

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to BigChrisEl [8c Ts 8d Th] if only some of it was suited.

malergud folds
    shoeshoe folds
    enuffsaid33 folds
    GumbyOTM folds
    BigChrisEl calls 400 - Don't want to trap myself on this one.
    taykeitez calls 400
    MiniMeee63 folds
    Bad Nature folds
    kleefelder checks

*** FLOP *** –WTF do you do now?
  • Easy call in my opinion. Only a minimum bet and you have top set on a co ordinated board. Any 8 9 or 10 will take this down. With only 7 outs though, I wouldn't think a fold was out of order either.
  • Misread there AJ

There's a straight on board, and a flush draw, and a straight flush draw (though unlikely). He has 2 of his own outs though - only 5 outs.

I'm curious about the "don't want to trap myself" comment pre-flop... you're at a full table, in middle position with two pocket mid-pairs... raising doesn't even cross my mind here - a call is okay, but I wouldn't hate a fold either. These are the hands that can get you into some trouble. I would seriously consider folding this to any raising pre-flop.

As for the flop, well, top set is nice, but as I said, you've got your own outs, limiting it's clout. Further, there is a made straight. This may be too big a drawing board to even bother putting a bet out. If you do, they'll be able to come back at you with more hurtin power. You have three players, you're out of position, and they are going to call if their hands contain

- 2 diamonds
    - any wrap straight combo (two of either 6, 7,8,9,10, J, Q)

THey'll re-raise with any made straight (J-Q, J-7, 6-7)

So, with two opponents, it's the NLHE equivalent of being against 12 hands (think about it... there are 6 possible HE starting hands in Omaha!). Tricky hand here... I would probably check and hope to fill up on the turn. And then if not, you've only got 7 outs still, so any pressure and you're going to have to let this go.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Misread there AJ

I'm curious about the "don't want to trap myself" comment pre-flop... you're at a full table, in middle position with two pocket mid-pairs... raising doesn't even cross my mind here - a call is okay, but I wouldn't hate a fold either. These are the hands that can get you into some trouble. I would seriously consider folding this to any raising pre-flop.

Mark

It was a free roll and I was doing well.

Problem was raises got no respect and you just ended up building a nice pot, so on a board like this some one could bet the pot for a huge stupid amount.

I wanted to keep the pots small so if there was a pot bet along the way I only have to think about calling 2,000 instead of 20,000.
  • Maybe I miscommunicated...

"Don't want to trap myself" - I took this to mean you opted against raising. I was trying to say that there is no way I raise with that hand in MP - it's not that strong. Calling is okay, but I don't hate a fold either. If you meant "Don't want to trap myself - but I called anyways", well that makes more sense.

Mark
  • I think you should either bet or check-call here.

A tournament is a lot different than a cash game - because you are forced into action.

If I were playing this hand I would bet the pot here - you have a lot of chips - and can either take it down right there or possibley get position.

If the player infront of you bets, I call. If they check, I bet.

If you are raised and re-raised. Fold.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Maybe I miscommunicated...

"Don't want to trap myself" - I took this to mean you opted against raising. I was trying to say that there is no way I raise with that hand in MP - it's not that strong. Calling is okay, but I don't hate a fold either. If you meant "Don't want to trap myself - but I called anyways", well that makes more sense.

Mark

Yeah...I was looking to see a cheap flop and get away if that action got crazy.

Here's the rest.

kleefelder checks
    BigChrisEl bets 800
    taykeitez calls 800
    kleefelder folds

*** TURN *** [4c]

BigChrisEl bets 1,200
    taykeitez calls 1,200

*** RIVER *** [Ks]

BigChrisEl bets 2,000
    taykeitez folds

BigChrisEl wins the pot (5,400)