Stars Team Canada Freeroll

I played this last nite for shits and giggles. I take it that alot of the peeps who got invites here are play money players. Navigated my way through 2 hours of idiocy and qualified for Saturdays finale.

A few hands for humors sake:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.comFlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Plain Text)

MP3 (t2090)
Hero (t3020)
Button (t3325)
SB (t1655)
BB (t3320)
UTG (t1570)
UTG+1 (t995)
MP1 (t470)
MP2 (t1330)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Ac, Ad.
4 folds, MP3 calls t150, Hero raises to t600, 2 folds, BB calls t450, MP3 raises to t2090, Hero raises to t3020, BB calls t2420.

Flop: (t8205) 6d, Jd, Js (3 players)

Turn: (t8205) 6h (3 players)

River: (t8205) Th (3 players)

Final Pot: t8205

Results below:
BB has Ts Ks (two pair, jacks and tens).
MP3 has 8s As (two pair, jacks and sixes).
Hero has Ac Ad (two pair, aces and jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins t8205.

LOL. I haven't played a play money game for a few years so nearly pissed myself when I saw this hand.

Then on the bubble. 100 get a seat and there was about 130ish left.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.comFlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Plain Text)

MP3 (t259)
CO (t3168 )
Button (t32415)
SB (t7925)
BB (t5400)
UTG (t3280)
UTG+1 (t1050)
Hero (t9178 )
MP2 (t23794)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Td, 4d.
UTG raises to t3130, 3 folds, MP3 calls t109 (All-In), 1 fold, Button calls t3130, SB raises to t7775, BB calls t2250 (All-In), Button calls t4645.

Flop: (t22089) 8d, Jd, 4h (5 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t22089) As (5 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t22089) 8h (5 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: t22089

Results below:
SB has Qs Ad (two pair, aces and eights).
BB has Ks 6s (one pair, eights).
UTG has Js Ah (two pair, aces and jacks).
MP3 has Jc 9d (two pair, jacks and eights).
Button has Kh Ac (two pair, aces and eights).
Outcome: UTG wins t22089.

ROFL.

Anyone else play these and if so who will be in on Saturday for the final.

Comments

• From my understanding you only get two chances to make it to round 2 with your free tickets to round 1A and 1B. You also cannot gain extra tickets.

I'm just going to wait until the last promotional date when there's less people entering these round 1A and 1B tourney's. Easier to make the second round assuming that they have the same payout for each round 1.
  • Ya I played in the B last night, I saw tons of hands like that, it really was a minefield. Sadly I did not advance, I'll try my luck at the TurboA if it pops up again. GL today though.
  • Ya I played in the B last night, I saw tons of hands like that, it really was a minefield. Sadly I did not advance, I'll try my luck at the TurboA if it pops up again. GL today though.

ya i played B last night too and got beaten by a donk with a ridiculous hand against my pocket kings he had like 64 and hit 2 pair... and i lost on A on the first day at about 120th
  • Hey, I just saw two round 1s starting tonight on stars, and was wondering if any of you guys know what a person has to do in order to get a ticket to one of these? Thanks!
  • I advanced to the second round (placed in the top hundred), but I missed my second round tourny. Looks like I can't get back in.
  • I also did one of these freerolls. I placed in the top 100 and then placed again to advance to the big money.

Unfortunately, they asked me to validate my ID. This was a surprise to me. As it turns out, it took to long for my ID to reach pokerstars support, therefore I was not given a spot in the final event.

Pokerstars appologized for this mistake after recieving my proper ID, therefore they gave me priority to all freeroll's for the next 2 years. As it turns out, I am not interested in Hubble's Free Play or a 10fpp tripple qualifier.

Anyways, just thought I'd let you know of my misfortune.
  • I JUST MISSED!!!!!

Played round 2 and made the final table. We were down to six players with the chip leader over one million and no one else above 200k.

Blinds 6k 12k in the SB with 34 suited and 155k

UTG limps in I limp BB checks

Flop 7s 4s 3c
    I check
    BB(chip leader) bets 100k
    UTG 165k goes all in
    I call BB calls

BB 6s 2s
    UTB Qh Qc

Turn was 5c river Qd

6th place and $1000 for me

Any comments on the play here?

Pkrooster
  • You know you played that hand fine, and if you are going to get sucked out may as well get sucked out by both players for style points.

I played for a friend who could not get on today and finished in the 300s or so, and I imagine a lot of the players are basically non real money players. One guy at my table I think had no idea you could bet anything but the min bet/raise since that's all he did though he would call all-ins with just about anything and built up a huge stack by defying every law of mathematics known to man.

I was about his 20th victim when 100/200 he min raised as per usual, I raised to 1600 with AQ suited he called flop was 10 2 3 and I shoved my remaining 5200 chips (though this was kind of stupid as he would call with any pair any kicker). He called with 78, hit a 7 on the river then told me he put me on AK the whole time :).

I also had someone bet 300 into a pot of 5000 on the river when a 3rd club hit ( my QQ had hit trips on the flop and I bet it pretty heavily pre flop on the flop and turn). I just called and he showed king high. My gut feel is that these tournaments feature a lot of very random players but even so one needs a lot of luck to make it to the final table so a 6th place showing with going out as a heavy favorite when the vast bulk of the chips went in is quite worthwhile.
  • I think the trick to these tournaments is run like jamie gold and just bulldoze the entire tournament.
    should be easy enough hehe
  • Well I played in my first one last night. Made to the 400s. Here is the hand that I went out on.

Blinds: 50/100. I had about 2500 left. I had only played one hand where I doubled up my stack after flopping a set. Of course, no one else at the table noticed this.

I had pocket nines in middle position. It was folded to me and I raised 4xBB. I was called by the button who had me slightly outchipped and by the big blind who was a short stack.

The flop came Q-8-2 rainbow. The pot was bigger than my stack now so I pushed all in. Both players called. The button showed Q-3 offsuit (yes, he called a raise with Q-3) and the short stack had Q-8.

In retrospect, I played wrong post-flop I think. I could have bet half the pot and seen what happened....any other thoughts?
  • kk_rush wrote: »
    Blinds: 50/100. I had about 2500 left. I had only played one hand where I doubled up my stack after flopping a set. Of course, no one else at the table noticed this.

I had pocket nines in middle position. It was folded to me and I raised 4xBB. I was called by the button who had me slightly outchipped and by the big blind who was a short stack.

The flop came Q-8-2 rainbow. The pot was bigger than my stack now so I pushed all in. Both players called.

Not sure how the pot was bigger than your stack.
    You invested 400 so you have 2100 left.
    By my calc the pot is 1250.

Did the BB bet out?
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Not sure how the pot was bigger than your stack.
    You invested 400 so you have 2100 left.
    By my calc the pot is 1250.

Did the BB bet out?

My goof...the blinds were 100/200.
  • With 12.5BB I wouldn't bother raising 4BB with a hand that is hard to play post-flop. Pre-flop: push or fold (or limp if the table is passive, but in MP not a great move).

/g2
  • Played in one last Sunday and came in 103rd. I could have folded my way into the top 100 but forgot what kind of tournament I was in and guy beat me on the river with a runner runner flush to take my 60,000 chips. Never realized how I screwed myself till about 10 minutes later. I rank it as the dumbest play I ever made since I started playing hold'em. Can you say DONKEY.
  • g2 wrote: »
    With 12.5BB I wouldn't bother raising 4BB with a hand that is hard to play post-flop. Pre-flop: push or fold (or limp if the table is passive, but in MP not a great move).

/g2
    Yeah, I thought after the fact that pushing pre-flop may have been a better option. Oh well...live and learn.
  • Buzzzardd wrote: »
    Played in one last Sunday and came in 103rd. I could have folded my way into the top 100 but forgot what kind of tournament I was in and guy beat me on the river with a runner runner flush to take my 60,000 chips. Never realized how I screwed myself till about 10 minutes later. I rank it as the dumbest play I ever made since I started playing hol'em. Can you say DONKEY.
    Yeah, that sucks.
  • How many players are there for each tournament?
  • 3000 Johnnie
  • pkrooster wrote: »
    I JUST MISSED!!!!!

Played round 2 and made the final table. We were down to six players with the chip leader over one million and no one else above 200k.

Blinds 6k 12k in the SB with 34 suited and 155k

UTG limps in I limp BB checks

Flop 7s 4s 3c
    I check
    BB(chip leader) bets 100k
    UTG 165k goes all in
    I call BB calls

BB 6s 2s
    UTB Qh Qc

Turn was 5c river Qd

6th place and $1000 for me

Any comments on the play here?

Pkrooster

Your M is 8.6, which isn't great but not deadly since all of the other stacks besides the chip leader has about the same chips. Why are you limping with 34s? Best you could hope for was to flop a straight and 34 doesn't even give you access to the maximum number of straights. Your flush would be pathetically weak, since you probably would have to flop it as well - unlikely anyone would let you draw past the flop and if you flopped it, you would be vulnerable to a fourth of your suit coming on the turn or river.

When you get to a final table you need to have a plan for every hand you play. The dynamics of the table are not going to change from one hand to the next. You don't have to worry about a new big stack coming in and taking the seat to your left or your table breaking and you having to get new reads. For each hand you have to say to yourself, if the flop comes 'x', I am going to do 'y'. If this player does 'a', I will do 'b' and so on. If you had flopped a straight or flush draw, you were likely to be pot committed on the flop. Were you willing to commit all your chips on a draw? Depending on the situation, sometimes the answer is 'yes'. However, if you are not willing to do that, then even from the small blind, you should fold.

In this case you flopped bottom two pair and the chip leader bets out 10% of his stack, which is enough to give him pot odds to call if any of the small stacks pushes, so you know he has enough of the board to call any push. Then someone else pushes. The board shows a straight and a flush draw, which you have no backdoor opportunity to make, giving you no protection.

If the board pairs, any overpair or top pair will have a higher two pair. Never mind that with the betting that has occured already, the chances someone else already flopped a straight or set or higher two pair. Obviously, both these players already have at least one pair or the draws. Unlikely both players are on draws, but even if they are, they have enough outs total between them to make them favourites. Couple all that with someone being allin, which would move you up a place, should he be eliminated.

I think you checked with the intention of check raising allin any bet. However, from the action that occured behind you, sometimes you need to be willing to change your plan. Easy fold.
  • moose wrote: »
    Why are you limping with 34s?
    He was the SB. Although it is confusing to say he limped. Should have said he completed.

/g2