Shorthanded Monotone Flop - Line check

SB was very aggressive at full table (6 Max) and went too far with many hands. I had previously taken down a large pot against where I pot bet the river with Ace high. He called with K high.

Results are not important. What do you think of my line here? Should I have bet the turn?

Please sugar coat all criticism. J/K.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (3 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.comFlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Plain Text)

SB ($12.95)
Hero ($10.75)
Button ($12.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Kd, 5d.
1 fold, SB raises to $0.2, Hero calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.40) 3c, Kc, 2c (2 players)
SB bets $0.1, Hero raises to $0.4, SB raises to $0.7, Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.80) Js (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.80) Tc (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $1.25, SB calls $1.25.

Final Pot: $4.30

Comments

• Why'd you check the turn?
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Why'd you check the turn?

Good question. I was thinking pot control when I did it but now I'm thinking it was a mistake.
  • My general lines involve me betting thin turns and then checking behind on the river. That way, you can give him some form of bad odds to make the call, but if you are unsure of him slowplaying the flush you can just showdown. The way you described him has him calling with the 2c for sure so I dont think theres a lot of hands you would be ahead of on the river.
  • Why'd you bet the river?

/g2
  • g2 wrote: »
    Why'd you bet the river?

/g2

Value. I held Top Pair and after he checked twice I thought I was ahead. I didn't want to play a big pot with top pair and that flop (I held no clubs).
  • cadillac wrote: »
    Value. I held Top Pair and after he checked twice I thought I was ahead. I didn't want to play a big pot with top pair and that flop (I held no clubs).
    But the only hand that is going to call you on that river beats you. Even a K-high donk can see when there are 4 clubs on the board and none in his hand. He only calls if he has a club, and as BBC Z pointed out, even the 2c. And of course he also calls with better than top pair no kicker if he's as donkish as you say he is.

I agree that after he checked the turn you're probably ahead... but to think the same on the river is a mistake. I would only value bet this river if I held the 9c or higher, expecting to get paid off by a weak flush.

/g2
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    My general lines involve me betting thin turns and then checking behind on the river. That way, you can give him some form of bad odds to make the call, but if you are unsure of him slowplaying the flush you can just showdown.

Great. That makes sense to me. Thanks.
    But the only hand that is going to call you on that river beats you. Even a K-high donk can see when there are 4 clubs on the board and none in his hand. He only calls if he has a club, and as BBC Z pointed out, even the 2c. And of course he also calls with better than top pair no kicker if he's as donkish as you say he is.

I agree that after he checked the turn you're probably ahead... but to think the same on the river is a mistake. I would only value bet this river if I held the 9c or higher, expecting to get paid off by a weak flush.

/g2

Based on his previous play I could see this guy calling me with no club and and a midpair. I would not make this play against many opponents but he fit the bill.

In hindsight I like the line of bet the turn and check behind on the river.

FWIW - he did call and did not hold a club.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    Based on his previous play I could see this guy calling me with no club and and a midpair. I would not make this play against many opponents but he fit the bill.

In hindsight I like the line of bet the turn and check behind on the river.

FWIW - he did call and did not hold a club.
    Did he have 10 2, or did you win?

I agree that he could call with mid pair, but I just think that it is more likely you're behind on that river card, so it's not a good spot to value bet.

/g2
    Did he have 10 2, or did you win?

I agree that he could call with mid pair, but I just think that it is more likely you're behind on that river card, so it's not a good spot to value bet.

/g2

AQ for a runner, runner str8.

You are 100% correct. Guy is a ridiculous calling station so I will get better opportunities than this to get my chips in.
  • Haha, I suspected runner runner. Tough one.

/g2
  • My general lines involve me betting thin turns and then checking behind on the river.

I don't hate the check behind on the turn. IMO it comes down to read on the player. If he's bad and generally passive, I probably bet turn for value and take a free showdown on the river (unless you improve). Generally, if he's coming over you with a CR on the turn you're in trouble and it's easy to get away from.

On the other hand, if he's aggressive and decides he's going to steal the pot with a CR on the turn, then I'm in a bit of a quandry, especially since he can be making that move with a lot of worse hands (pair + flush draw, just a flush draw, just a pair, or worse). Generally, I try to manage pot size and get to showdowns with these types, and I'm not as worried at giving free cards on the turn, since it will often induce river bluffs on the end from them.